Am I the only one who binge eats?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just reading through the type 2 topics again after a bit of a gap. One of the things that strikes me is how good everyone is, and how minor the lapses seem to be. Righly perhaps, quite a lot of the discussion is on what types of already reasonably healthy foods are best (different types of wholemeal and other breads, etc.).

My problem is that, every once in a while, I completely fold and go on a binge, even although I know its very bad news. I've had one afternoon where I went to the local shop and bought two packets of crisps and two chocolate goodies. I then came back and ate them with some diet drink, followed by coffee and a couple of chocolate biscuits. I felt terrible afterwords but by then I'd eaten it all. Of course, I kept it a secret from my wife and didn't test my bloods for a while.

This weekend, I was away with the family and over indulged in general but then went on to have a good few glasses of wine and copious salty snacks afterward. Again in the full knowledge that I was not doing myself any good.

I'm back on the strait and narrow again now and I'll be ok for the next couple of weeks, having got it out of my system but I'm sure I'll have further relapses at some point in the future.

I guess this is the problem with having eaten like that for 50 years or so. Something takes over from logic and I revert to old habits until common sense re-surfaces.

Does anyone else do this?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Dougie

I guess that it is always possible to lose your way, even if only temporarily. I gave up sweets, cakes, biscuits and the like on diagnosis and have never gone back to them. Occasionally, crisps can be my weakness.

Your HbA1c is coming down nicely but your cholesterol has a way to go - to 4.5. How's your blood pressure? Good I hope.

Commendable to see what you can achieve without medication for the various issues you have but don't kick them into touch when they are really needed.

Regards

Doug

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
My diabetic nurse agrees (light heartedly) that diabetes is a 6 day a week illness, my way of saying I take Saturdays off and still go out for my pint and pizza on way home. OK I don't go overboard (only 7" pizza!) but this is a sort of release for me so I don't feel the need to "cheat" during the week, well not usually anyway!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ah, don't beat yourself up Doug, your HbA1c says that you are doing fine.

Everyone falls off the wagon now and again, and a pack of chocolate hobnobs or two isn't going to kill you, as long as you don't do it regularly.

Maybe you should test yourself when you binge it, because:
a) it might motivate you not to do it next time
b) it probably doesn't spike your BG as much as you think it does

I've just got back from a business trip to NY when I ate some things I normally wouldn't have (mainly chips and bread rolls). I stumbled back to my hotel room and nervously tested my blood, and pulled a 5.2 mmol/l, which is about as low as it ever gets for me.

Same thing when I scoffed 3 cupcakes and steak sarnie at my wedding (although I think that the common factor is both cases is the BG lowering influence of several pints of beer).

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
Gappy said:
My diabetic nurse agrees (light heartedly) that diabetes is a 6 day a week illness, my way of saying I take Saturdays off and still go out for my pint and pizza on way home. OK I don't go overboard (only 7" pizza!) but this is a sort of release for me so I don't feel the need to "cheat" during the week, well not usually anyway!
Im with you Gappy, I'm great during the week, but once Saturday comes I find it hard. I'll have my beer and KFC on a Saturday, although after every KFC my Bg is never over 6-7mml, and then a few more beers in the evening, and probably some crisps. But Sunday morning is always my lowest Bg reading for the week. :?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well after my poor weekend, I tested fasting Monday morning at 7.3 which is a relatively common reading for me, even when I'm in the zone. Had a really good day yesterday and a visit to the gym and this morning's fasting was 6.5 which is pretty good for me. So no lasting high readings from the weekend.

Looking back at my diary, I found that I did test myself after the afternoon pig out (2 packets of crisps, bag maltesers, twirl, 2 chocolate biscuits and at 2.5 hours I was 9.7. This is a very high reading for me but I suppose it was better than it could have been.

The secret for me is to avoid having "binge" foods in the house and available. You have to be pretty desperate to get in your car and go to the shops to buy some and its only happened once or twice in six months or so.

The odd "holiday" weekend involves a lot of wine and crisps/nuts but again it's only once in a while, not every weekend. I too find that the alcohol keeps the levels down but I wouldn't recommend that as a strategy to anyone.

Now, I'm back in the zone and I'll be exceptionally good this week before my next HbA1C next week. Hoping it'll be ok as I've been quite good obver the summer. Although I've only lost another couple of kilos, at least I haven't put it back on. Hoping for a good run until my holiday in mid October.

markd

I only occasionally fall off the wagon - but today was one of those times!

Doing the shopping in a deli, bought lots of sensible food, fresh veggies and fruits.

Then, and I don't really know why, picked up a 250g bag of chocolate fudge. It sat on the counter by the checkout rustling its cellophane at me, begging me to buy it.

Once in the car, I opened the bag and within less than five minutes had eaten the whole lot. That was just after 6pm - tested a few mins ago (near as dammit 2 hours later) and scored a 5.7

Dunno how much sugar there is in that fudge, or if it metabolises as rapidly as the Lucozade they give for an OGTT, but surprised it was that low.

Thing is, I don't particularly like fudge, it just seemed like the right thing to do... I couldn't stop eating the stuff, but now don't feel the slightest desire for any more.

maybe I'd better send herself to do the shopping for a while...

MarkD

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
If a bag of fudge fall of the shelf in a forest (and into your mouth) and no-one sees it, and no-one hears it (and your BG test doesn't show it) then did it really fall at all?

Maybe you were in Hypo territory Mark, and your subconcious made you buy the fudge to compensate.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Listen to your body! Mine sometimes sends me on a 22-mile round trip to buy a bottle of wine . . .! :oops: :lol: .

I think we all binge sometimes. I'm lucky in that I live alone, so I only keep me-friendly food in the house.

Except for the so far unopened packet of shortbread someone gave me in May. I don't give much for its chances after my next HbA1c! :wink: :p

Sometimes a little indulgence does you good. The trouble is when it gets to every week . . . then every day . . . :shock:

Viv 8)

markd

borofergie said:
If a bag of fudge fall of the shelf in a forest (and into your mouth) and no-one sees it, and no-one hears it (and your BG test doesn't show it) then did it really fall at all?

Very deep, grasshopper - doesn't the Guardian have a page for deep philiosophical questions like that?

:D

Pleased that fasting was more or less unchanged at 4.4 this morning.

Had a couple of drinks before bed, and forgot the usual pint of water, so breakfasted on two lightly poached ibuprofen this morning...

MarkD

Clairslloyd

Sorry I'm late lol. I frequently binge for days on end and then end up eating nothing for days - I know it's really bad but I just can't help myself. Also indulging on the alcohol front :( Do try but with other health issues ( mostly constant pain) it does make it really difficult. Did have app with the doc but came away without actually telling him how I feel (came away with a higher dose of painkillers) so must make another one!!! Oh dear - not really helped you there but you will get through it - especially with the support on here :)

Grazer

Dougie22 said:
I too find that the alcohol keeps the levels down but I wouldn't recommend that as a strategy to anyone.

You wouldn't recommend it Because? That's my medication you're talking about!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Dougie22 said:
My problem is that, every once in a while, I completely fold and go on a binge, even although I know its very bad news. I've had one afternoon where I went to the local shop and bought two packets of crisps and two chocolate goodies. I then came back and ate them with some diet drink, followed by coffee and a couple of chocolate biscuits. I felt terrible afterwords but by then I'd eaten it all. Of course, I kept it a secret from my wife and didn't test my bloods for a while.

That is an awful lot of guilt for a very minor treat.
If that is what you consider to be a dreadful binge then you must be pretty close to a saint!

Seriously, the guilt is likely to cause you more stress and do you more harm than the stuff you listed above.

For goodness sake don't keep this a secret from your wife - she will understand and keeping secrets is not good.
[I assume she never visits this forum :lol: ]
I note you did test and the results weren't too bad so you are not destined to have your eyes pop out and your feet fall of as punishment for your sins.

It probably does everyone good to have a little bit of the naughty stuff now and then.
I had some home made apple crumble a few days ago (minimum sugar in the crumble, none in the apples) with some sour cream and it was divine.
It also has cured the cravings for a while.

As a low carber (it took me a while) I consider what you had to be trivial compared to people who have muesli and wholemeal toast for breakfast :shock: - but everyone is different which is why we test our blood to see how we are doing :D

Chill, baby. 8)
No big deal.

Cheers

LGC

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. You make me feel better. I'm afraid I'm no saint.