metformin type 2

sir alf

hello ,just wondering is it possable to take insline instead of tablets,because i have trouble swalling them,as my nurse told me if i have bowel trouble,she would put me on insline,but im not having bowel trouble,i find the tablets to big to swollow,any advice would be most well come,thank you

hallii

Crush them up between two spoons and disolve them in some warm (not hot) water or milk. They slide down nicely, but do taste a bit, so quickly down is the best.

Or break them into two or even four, that also helps.

My opinion is that if you are doing OK on Metformin it would be best to stay off insulin, there can be issues with insulin like hypos, you don't (or shouldn't) get those with Metformin.

But, as always, you have to go along with what your doctor or nurse says.

Metformin is available as a sugar free syrup, I think it has to be prepared by a pharmacy, so you could ask for that?

H

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you take the slow release metformin you must not crush or break it
CAROL

Tracey69

Hi
I am a type 1 on insulin and Metformin. If you can manage it i would try and stick with your doctors advice by taking the tablets, ask your doctor if their is a syrup you can try. Going on insulin is a big change and really you only want to go on it if really need to.
You will have to check blood sugars before and 2 hours after each meal and it can take time to get your regime right.
Think about this hard and do a little research on this sight. Other wise you could phone a diabetic nurse if you have one.
We are all here to advise but remember we are all different adn only go by experience.
Take care
Tracey

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hallii said:
Crush them up between two spoons and disolve them in some warm (not hot) water or milk.
NEVER do this with any tablet without first checking with a pharmacist or doctor.

And if it's slow release metformin it must not be broken up at all.

iirc, the slow release metfmormin were coated, and the generic regular ones weren't, so you might find the slow release ones easier to swallow. Coated tablets stick to your tongue and throat less.

How much water are you drinking with each tablet? Try drinking lots more.

Where are you putting the tablet in your mouth when you try to swallow it? You might think this is a silly question, but I have seen people put tablets on the tip of their tongue and then say they can't swallow it - don't do this, put it to the back of your mouth.

What dose are you on? I can't remember if the 500mg tablets were smaller than the 1000mg ones, but they might be, and if they are ask your doctor if you can have those instead.

Have you told your doctor you have difficulty swallowing? You should mention it.

Finally get a different diabetes nurse - your one sounds very dangerous, if she would put someone on insulin just because they couldn't tolerate metformin - there are other types of tablet to try first. You don't want to be on insulin.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
My daughter takes metformin (glucophage) as well as her insulin and she cannnot take the tablets either.

There is a powdered form of Metformin available, she is on 1000mg twice daily. It comes in small sachets which you mix in with a glass of water. Tastes a bit yuk but might be an option if you really can't manage the tablets.

A word of warning, GP might be reluctnat to prescribe it because of the cost involved, I have been told it is a lot more expensive than the tablets but it is worth asking anyway.

C

catherinecherub

sir alf said:
hello ,just wondering is it possable to take insline instead of tablets,because i have trouble swalling them,as my nurse told me if i have bowel trouble,she would put me on insline,but im not having bowel trouble,i find the tablets to big to swollow,any advice would be most well come,thank you
Hi,

Have you tried putting the tablet in your mouth and then drinking a glass of water through a straw to wash it down. This often works for people who have difficulty swallowing tablets.

hallii

My earlier reply was specifically referring to Metformin and no other medication was mentioned.

The Extended Release version should not be crushed (thanks Carol) or it won't be Extended Release anymore.

I have been told by my DSN that it is fine to crush regular Metformin and other nurses agree. http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/ask-an-ex ... ormin.html

So it's OK to crush regular Metformin.

H