Really interesting history of diabetes

Rusty_Sweetbread

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
https://epdf.pub/diabetes-the-biography-biographies-of-diseases.html

Quite frankly, this book is fascinating.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd feel wrong about not sharing the link.

The sheer number of 'firsts', 'mosts', and 'only's associated with our disease is amazing, and there's lots of names and anecdotes I'd never heard of before.

Give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the book :)
It looks like he has written a much bigger one too, a couple of years after this one, looks very interesting.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
By now on page 43, and it's fascinating! How close a couple of people have come years before Banting! And fish insulin successfully used in Japan during WWII, I had no clue.
And I'll be forever in debt to all those killed dogs...

Reactions: Rusty_Sweetbread

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://epdf.pub/diabetes-the-biography-biographies-of-diseases.html

Quite frankly, this book is fascinating.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd feel wrong about not sharing the link.

The sheer number of 'firsts', 'mosts', and 'only's associated with our disease is amazing, and there's lots of names and anecdotes I'd never heard of before.

Give it a try.
Thanks, I have started reading it, very inteteresting indeed! Thank goodness for medical advances and discoveries.

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finished reading it yesterday. Really engaging and well-written.
The book also answered some questions I had regarding how they knew about the effects of carbohydrates in the diet before the advent of insulin and blood tests and how they treated (or tried to) people before modern technologies.
Also interesting is how doctors resisted the idea of giving freedoms and responsiblities to the patients for their own treatment.
I apreciated it a lot @Rusty_Sweetbread !

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was a great book with so many interesting things in it. I liked the comparison of diabetes to a tiger that you can never turn your back on. Thanks for sharing.