Franc D

Hi all
I’ve been training hard for several months to do the London 2020 marathon, in my journey I’ve completed the great Scottish run half marathon , and several road races,, currently I’m running 2x 10k midweek and then a longer half marathon distance at the weekend.

ive found best to do the longer run in the morning after having something to eat but no insulin which inevitably send the BG upwards but during or by the end of 13 miles is normal or falling. I do carry lots of gels etc if needed.

I was wondering if there is any advice for: like minded marathon runners.

Thanks.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Franc, I've run for years including one marathon in 2018 as a Type 2, now I'm on basal/bolus insulin and looks like I'm Type 1 - its quite new to me (just before Christmas) and I haven't run too far yet but hoping to get back into it soon, and train for a 1/2 maybe late spring or autumn.

I found when my BG was elevated my performance was pretty poor.

Can I ask if you have a target time? I think you'd be better upping your miles over and above what you're doing, but there's plenty of time to do that before London.

My usual plan is 4-5 run per week. Starting around now your longer weekend run should start at about 12 miles and add a mile or two every weekend for the next 10-14 weeks. You should aim to run one or two at about 22-23 miles about 3 weeks before your race. Those long runs should be about 1min/mile slower or even slower than that than your target marathon pace.

The rest of the week I always tried to do most runs at a comfortable pace maybe 30-35s/mile slower than marathon pace. Those runs should be 5-6 miles. One of them I always tried to run at or faster than marathon pace.

So as an example my marathon pace was 6:40m/m, so Long Run pace was 7:30ish, regular runs 6:50-7:00 and quicker run maybe 6:10-6:35.

When you put that together you may be running 40-50miles / week.

Now of course you can run a marathon with less runs and less miles....but it'll be hard work. Following a plan like the above will make it very enjoyable (apart from the last 3 miles which will be.....agony!).

As to how insulin therapy works into that I have no idea (yet!). Are you on pump or injections?

Franc D

Thanks for the reply JPW, I’m aiming for 4hrs and no more than 4.15 for London, all the times I’ve done so far stand me in good stead but I’ll now be increasing from 3 to 4 runs per week with the weekend run increasing 1 to 2 miles per week through to the end of March....similar to what you’ve suggested.

Adding insulin to the mix having the freestyle libre I find makes it easier to keep Up the pace whilst checking our BG but at long distance insulin can put an end to any target times if not worked out before hand along with the pre run breakfast, the Libre is worth a push with our GP if you don’t have it already. Afterwards roughly speaking taking half the usual dose whilst replacing spent calories works well for me. But over time last year I’ve found trial and error is best for the individual with enough fuel as back up should you need it while out.

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I'd like the libre if I can get it - consultant reckoned I'd qualify when I first seen her, have been dealing with DSN since (which has been fine).

Marathon running is fairly predictable if you follow one of the usual programs - half marathon x 2 plus 15 minutes is a pretty good guide. If its your first one - aim to enjoy it - it's a great experience.

Watch out for injury and if you feel anything rest....repeat..rest :) you'll not want to for fear of missing a session, but I've known a few folks miss a marathon because they didn't miss a couple of sessions!

I had my first proper outdoor run yesterday - 6 miles and went great no problems - went out with BG at 7, took a couple of biscuits (10g carbs) before going out. 3 miles out I was 5.9 , and 7.6 when I came home, probably due to adrenalin etc. with the 2.5 miles uphill home!

The bonus was 5-6.0 BGs the rest of the evening and into today as well :)

Let's keep in touch with how the trainings going?