Flu jab

smeatons

So this weekend I received a letter from my Doctors asking me to go for my flu jab.
I've never had one before, but then I've never been classed as 'at risk' before either.

My question is why are we put into this category? Does getting the flu pose bigger problems for diabetics?

Looking at cold remedies (lemsip and the like) I notice they are just full of sugar so I can understand dealing with colds can be a bit more awkward - but clearly they think things are a lot worse than that!

thanks,
David

SeanAshy

People with diabetes are more at risk of complications arising as a result of infections such as influenza and pneumonia. Elevated blood glucose levels, as a response to infection, can lead to uncontrolled diabetes and the potential danger of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) or Hyperglycaemic Hyperosmolar State (HHS), both of which can be fatal if left untreated.

Influenza, or 'flu', is a highly contagious acute viral infection that affects people of all ages. It starts suddenly with:

fever
chills
headache
aching muscles
cough or other respiratory symptoms.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I got my invite for a jab on Saturday, phoning in the morning to make the appointment, it'll be my first time too but anything that prevents flu is good in my book-diabetic or not!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have booked my flu jab for the end of November - to be done during an appointment I already have. I hope it's not a bit late but that was the date I was offered. I do it every year now.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've never had 1 and don't intend to ever have 1.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have only twice in my life had 'flu. The last time was about 3 years ago, and I honestly thought I was going to die. Couldn't swallow, could hardly breathe, ached in every bone in my body, could barely get out of bed to go to the bathroom, and getting downstairs to make a drink was a nightmare. My throat felt as if it was full of golfballs stuck with razor-blades, and I hardly slept for 3 nights because I woke up every time I needed to swallow saliva - I had to hold my head on :lol: . And that was after the 'flu jab.

People talk about 'a touch' of 'flu, but IMHO there's no such thing. 'Flu kills. I'm quite happy to have the injections, and the pneumonia one, because the alternative is worse - and living alone, I have no fall-back position if I get really ill. If I can't reach the telephone I'm sunk. And yes, it is by the bed.

Re treating cold symptoms - my local pharmacist recommends taking an over-the-counter anti-histamine at bedtime to control runny nose and congestion. Though with my last year's cold (I only get one a year!) I gave up and took a Lemsip with a small teaspoon of honey and my BGs didn't bat an eyelid! :shock: . But it was only one.

You have to be careful of the effects of paracetemol, Lemsips etc if you have high blood pressure, too. Much better not to get ill if you can avoid it.

Viv 8)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I had mine last week ,,All fine and dandy ,, Dsit nurse came to the house for mine
Id rather the jab than,, the Flu any time
I come under three risk groups for this so no getting away from the letters or the Dist nurse

Also all the our house can have it free becuse of me

Bob

smeatons

Thanks for the replys everyone.

I guess my question was a bit moot as when I rang up to book they only had a choice of two Saturdays in October, both of which I can't make - so I guess I won't be having it this year :(

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went along to the DN this morning for my three monthly weigh in, BP, HbA1c and Cholesterol tests. While I was there, I was offered, accepted, and was given a flu jab and a pneumonia jab. I was told the flu jab would be yearly, the pneunomia a one off, protecting for life. No ill effects yet.

trand

I have been refusing this jab for 9yrs now ( had a few h/attacks and 4xbypass) but am toying with the idea of having it this year, have been put off, as I know quite a few who have had it , and was in quite a state

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm very lucky in that I hardly react to any injections - I seem to remember a bit of stiffness after one of my tetanus injections, and a small swelling after cholera once - but none has ever made me ill, so I tend to accept anything that's offered - if it's free :wink:

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

I had a bad reaction to last year's flu jab as did several other people I know . many of these had been having the jabs annually for several years with no ill effects.
I have heard a suggestion that it was the "swine flu" componenet causing these problems.

Has anyone else heard this and does anyone know if this years batch contains the same "culprit"?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've got a bit of a stiff muscle where the pnuemonia jab went in yesterday, nothing where the flu jab went. Not really sore, just a bit stiff like a light strain. No other symptoms yet. Pretty happy.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
catherinecherub said:
This winter's flu jab protects against the same three strains of flu as last year's vaccines"..........
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Flu-jab/Pa ... ction.aspx

Thanks for that catherinecherub, that's the information I came here looking for. Wont be taking them up on their kind offer of a vaccination. :| Some of our GP's lied last year, telling patients there was no swine flu in it just to get people to accept the vaccination.

Clairslloyd

I have just had my flu jab and have not noticed any side effects so far (apart from tender spot where the injection was). I had my last flu jab and noticed nothing then either but that was only about 6 months ago - is it normal to have 2 so close to each other. Sorry to hi-jack your post, I don't normally :( I will deffo have it again :) Good wishes to all x

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been getting flu jab for 10 years now, apart from 1yr i missed and ended up with bronchitas. So always have jab now. Have only been t2 since june this year so now fall under 2 risk catergories. Am lucky that local gps do flu jab clinics, just turn up between 2 to 4 and get one, can also make app. Am always youngest in there for for jab makes me feel really young (am not far of 30). Diabetic treament here is good, but that only due to most of the retired population having it. I recomend the jab for anyone at risk, but like everything is a choice. :)

calisto51

Like byte83 I have been having a flu jab for ten years with no ill effects and no flu. Before the jabs I was always going down with the flu in the winter usually around Xmas so yes I will continue even if it's got the swine flu element in the cocktail

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all, since getting pneumonia then a septic infection in febuary 2008 , took me 12months to get over all this, then was diagnosed diabetic dec 2009...!
Have recieved both a pneumonia innoculation and do have the flu jab each autumn now.
Am grateful to recieve this as with a yet weakened immune system it gives me 'some' protection.
Had heart surgery repair too, hole in heart repair plus septicaemia 5 times, I truly AM vunerable to the winter elements and persons germs etc...
As a diabetic the stakes just get raised , its a real catch 22 lifestyle for me.
Just have to think positive , keep going and am grateful for what I do have.
Anna.x :D