Possible infection?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Put a set in 3 days ago, for the first day and a half or so it was fine my sugars were doing ok. High bs this morning of about 25, corrected and thought I’ll check it’s gone down in a few hours and change the set if it hasn’t. Went to work with a new bag (forgot to put a new set in as I usually carry one around whoops). For the entire day my sugars were relatively high around 23 ish and my set was starting to hurt. Came home and immediately removed it and put a new one in. Removing it was more painful than usual and left behind where the set was is a round red spot with what feels like a lump underneath and it’s very painful to slightly press down on, could this possibly be an infection that took hold on/around day 2/3 in my site?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Nicola M Its hard to say, have had a few painful lumps like this myself and once I’ve changed the set my levels have come down and pain has eased off, it’s more to do with slow absorption than an infection I’ve found.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also need to consider how much insulin your putting into one place over three days, maybe change every two days ?

Reactions: porl69 and Struma

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it’s red and painful keep a very close eye on it. I’d draw around the red area, and if it’s hot to touch or the redness spreads outside the line you’ve drawn get to the docs for antibiotics. My daughter had a cannula set infection over the summer, it spread rapidly and she ended up in hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics and needed the abscess removed under general anaesthetic. I hope yours clears quickly.