Recurrent Miscarriage Please Help

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in my late 30s and have PCOS and Type 1 diabetes. My HBAC1 is currently 52 and I have suffered three miscarriages. The first two occurred after natural conception and the most recent one after a frozen embryo transplant. There was a heartbeat at 8 weeks but not 12. Can anyone offer me any advice? I am taking Pregnacare, Omega 3 and Folic Acid 5mg as well as Vitamins B and D. My blood sugars at the moment get as high as 12 in the evening which I can't seem to change even though I am on my maximum basal rate and carb counting. I am struggling to be low carb and lose weight, BMI is 31. Are there any other supplements I could take? I asked about baby aspirin but they said my blood doesn't clot so not to take it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ask to be referred to the diabetic pregnancy preconception team. They can support you.
That a1c is not bad. The highs may be due to residual hormone activity depending on how long ago the last miscarriage was.
Sometimes miscarriage happens for all sorts of reasons and your diabetes may not be to blame but getting the right support can help.
Huge hugs and sorry for your losses, hoping all comes right for you soon.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am in my late 30s and have PCOS and Type 1 diabetes. My HBAC1 is currently 52 and I have suffered three miscarriages. The first two occurred after natural conception and the most recent one after a frozen embryo transplant. There was a heartbeat at 8 weeks but not 12. Can anyone offer me any advice? I am taking Pregnacare, Omega 3 and Folic Acid 5mg as well as Vitamins B and D. My blood sugars at the moment get as high as 12 in the evening which I can't seem to change even though I am on my maximum basal rate and carb counting. I am struggling to be low carb and lose weight, BMI is 31. Are there any other supplements I could take? I asked about baby aspirin but they said my blood doesn't clot so not to take it.
So sorry to hear of your baby losses and it does sound as if you are doing the right things; there are plenty of us type 1 s who have got pregnant on similar HBA1cs and your miscarriages may be nothing to do with type 1 but more to do with being insulin resistant as those with PCOS are. Being insulin resistant does make it hard to lose weight plus if you are stressed about this you may find that makes things worse too and it is obviously very hard not to be!
Have you been offered any metformin or other drug to help with PCOS or tried dietary measures?
Sorry that I don't have personal experience of this but some type 2s may be able to help. Best of luck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I am not a type 1 but had 8 miscarriages due to undiagnosed pcos. I suggest getting your doctors to give you more help with treating your pcos.

I am sorry for your losses.

My daughter is not a diabetic, but also lost two babies before her pcos diagnosis and treatment.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am not a type 1 but had 8 miscarriages due to undiagnosed pcos. I suggest getting your doctors to give you more help with treating your pcos.

I am sorry for your losses.

My daughter is not a diabetic, but also lost two babies before her pcos diagnosis and treatment.

Hello,

What help were you offered? I take two metaformin tablets in the evening and they stabilise my evening blood sugars. I also have a regular but heavy cycle so they won't prescribe clomid x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

What help were you offered? I take two metaformin tablets in the evening and they stabilise my evening blood sugars. I also have a regular but heavy cycle so they won't prescribe clomid x
I wasnt offered any help. Just told it was due to the PCOS. I wasnt diagnosed until I was 53, retrospectively. My daughter is on metformin for her PCOS.