What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
terrible failure. Fried some diced bacon, added a scatter of onion powder, beaten egg, scrambled them and then sprinkled on some grated cheese. Most unpleasant! Not sure why

How weird. Should have been good! Was something off?

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today : spent in San Francisco with bf .

Brunch salad with pieces of bacon and black coffee

An ice cream ( low sugar ) with dark chocolate topping for dessert .

BG was ok

Evening : one small piece of chocolate ( one square ) plus tea

BG was ok

But then dinner caused disaster .
Dinner : Disaster :

Half a vegetarian samosa ( that potatoes in it. Plus one slide of sourdough bread plus cheese and roast beef and tomato and pickles

Result huge spike 172 = 9.5 and waiting and waiting and after 2.5 hours , it’s not going down !! Very scared . How large are you spike at highest ( if you have gcm , otherwise u cannot know ) ?

Winnie-the-Pooh

OK today 16/01/2020
Didn't go for a walk before breakfast, it was raining and I have a sore on my foot from my compression garment rubing

Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, cooked in water and a dash of soy milky lite, 170g non fat greek yoghurt, 18g rasberries, 23g peanut butter.

Lunch: two white corn stone ground torillas, 40g reduced fat cheese, 48g dill pickles, 40g hummus, 100g sauerkraut. Before meal 4.4, two hours after 4.3.

Dinner: 266g zucchini, 78g onion, 2 servings of lentils (11.2g net carbs), 121g tomato. Curry powder hot sauce. No fat in this meal to act as buffer. Before meal 4.8 1.5 hours after meal 5.4.

Can someone please tell me what rises in blood sugar are acceptable to see, and should I be testing both one and two hours after meals.

Same question . I have a GCM . So I also wonder what is the highest peak one is ok to get ?

The peak does not necessary happen at 1 hour or 2 hour . It depends on the person and on the food .

What is common and what is desirable ?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same question . I have a GCM . So I also wonder what is the highest peak one is ok to get ?

The peak does not necessary happen at 1 hour or 2 hour . It depends on the person and on the food .

Going from the response I got from the original post, the peak shouldn't be over 2 mmol/l two hours after the first bite of the meal. Testing an hour after eating would give one an idea of a peak spike, unless the meal is high in fat. I guess one could always test before a meal, and at 1 hour , 2 hour and 3 hour increments to see the full effect. But heck one would sure go through test strips that way.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
BSL 6.7 mmol/L brunch was chicken soup left over from dinner last night but mainly just drank the broth and had a few pieces of chicken and veggies and a few cherries washed down with a black coffee
went up the road but checked BSL it was 4.6 mmol/L I had a piece of cheese.
brought a loaf of bread made with hemp seed as craving bread and not eating that much so I decided to just eat food that I am tolerating at the moment.
dinner had some pate that had to be eaten today because of the use by date so had that with a slice of hemp bread and some cheese. and a mug of black english tea.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 19/01/2020
Breakfast: 182 non fat yoghurt, 19g peanut butter, 50g rolled oats, 93g banana, 71g blueberries.

Lunch: 2 white corn tortilla, 25g hummus,mustard, 133g capsicum, 100g sauerkraut, 118g tomato

Dinner: 2 XL eggs, 412g zucchini, 2 dill pickles, 30g cheese, 2 falafel bites.

Snack: four white coffees with about 80ml of 2% milk

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sunday 19.01.20

Last night's bed time test: 5.7
This morning's FBG: 6.9
B: Sunday morning special: 50% mozzarella 50% cheddar chaffle, 100g baked beans, loads of mushrooms, 2 fried eggs
2 hours later: 7.1

Lunch: 4.9
Gloopy green smoothie (with a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds added in)

Dinner (will be): Marinated tofu and edamame and broccoli stirfry (veggie part bought ready prepared from Asda) with some added red pepper for a bit of colour

Drinks: Usual black decaff for breakfast then water for the rest of the day with a glass of carb free lime tonic in the evening.

No walking today - Mr C has gone to work and I can't go out of my own (fear of falling) so I will be interested to see what my 2 hour PP after the lunch smoothie will be after yesterday's dramatic drop. Must admit I would prefer NOT to go down to 3.4 which is where I got to just before dinner yesterday. Its been such a long time since I ran that low and I reacted quite badly to it, poor Mr C - I used to regularly be IRO 3.4 and usually felt okay so he couldn't understand why I was bawling my head off in a corner of the kitchen because I couldn't get the Alexa Dot to play the PRECISE music I wanted it to play. I was fine after dinner. :rolleyes:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday I had my usual breakfast of slice LivLife toast butter and tea.
Lunch was a small plate of iceberg lettuce and egg mayo.
Supper was roasted chunks aubergine, red onion, cherry toms with EVO and Italian herbs. Two orange gins with fizzy water were also on the menu.

Today
Same breakfast.
Cooked brunch for Mr PM and unexpectedly I had two fried eggs when both yolks burst and I had to do two more to go with his bacon.
Supper will be lamb chump chop with Greek salad.
Dont think I will hold out till then so a small snack may be required.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi All
Supper was roasted chunks aubergine, red onion, cherry toms with EVO and Italian herbs. Two orange gins with fizzy water were also on the menu.

Today
Same breakfast.
Cooked brunch for Mr PM and unexpectedly I had two fried eggs when both yolks burst and I had to do two more to go with his bacon.

LOL - my husband doesn't like burst yolks either - but he usually gives them to the dogs and cooks some more. Luckily its him cooking breakfast.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Today
Same breakfast.

I really hate it when I break a fried egg. My husband didn't mind at all, so I was the one who felt bad when I broke his egg.

I actually had a small plate of the soup I'd made yesterday evening. Didn't take insulin either. BG of 6.5 later, so that wasn't bad. It was probably pretty low before I had the soup - I had only had my burnt offerings earlier in the day. However, it was up to 9.0 before bed. FBG today was 8.8.

It'll just be cold roasted lamb for my one meal today (if I can stick to it). Plus plenty of fluids, of course. So far (1.40 pm) I've only manage 3 mugs of tea to take my pills with.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
18-01-2020
Breakfast: 2x CWC, the last of the confit chicken livers. Just warmed through, on their own.
Lunch: Café. Thought to have a tartiflette wrap as this is bacon, onion and cheese . Plus the wrap would possibly be lower carb than bread. Totally forgot the other, main ingredient in tartiflette is potato! So not a good choice at all. Am thinking I might refuse to eat there again as no good choices for me at all.
Dinner. BG 5.6
Bacon, mushrooms, peppers and rice. Almost the same as yesterday, but much tighter control on rice portion. Two tablespoons of rice mixed with equal amount of cauliflower rice. Glass of white wine.
One hour BG 7.4 so far, so good.
One and a half hours 5.8 that's better.
Two hours 5.6 back to where I started .
Bedtime tea.
Busy day, shopping for radiators, furniture shifting, chimney sweeping. Then clear up the inevitable mess. Later problem with fire giving off fumes. MrSlim will be investigating in the morning. Meanwhile we put the fire out. Early bed when it gets cold seems likely.

Love tartiflette! Sadly it's no go any more. Must try to cook something similar up but I'll have to give it some thought.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

The usual figure given is no more than 2 points after 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Of course, things can get out of hand and you can get a huge spike (I went up to 18.5 a day or so ago) but that's not good. It doesn't have an immediate effect, but long term, if it keeps happening, action is needed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL - my husband doesn't like burst yolks either - but he usually gives them to the dogs and cooks some more. Luckily its him cooking breakfast.
I am getting very fed up with my pans. About a year ago I bought one of those Salter stone pans which claim to be non stick though they feel rough to touch. I found even using oil/butter my omelettes were badly sticking as time went on so I bought another silky smooth non stick pan but when I fry eggs the centre is slightly raised so the eggs slide to the edges making it very difficult to handle. Its ok for omelettes though.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting very fed up with my pans. About a year ago I bought one of those Salter stone pans which claim to be non stick though they feel rough to touch. I found even using oil/butter my omelettes were badly sticking as time went on so I bought another silky smooth non stick pan but when I fry eggs the centre is slightly raised so the eggs slide to the edges making it very difficult to handle. Its ok for omelettes though.

I don't blame you. My frying pans are all old fashioned ones - carbon steel or cast iron although I do have stainless steel saucepans. I did buy a non-stick aluminium one for easier maintenance, but it's too light and doesn't sit properly on an electric hob, so everything slips to the side of the pan. As you say - OK for omelettes but the other side of the pan is raised clear of the hotplate so only about 1/3 of the surface is useful for cooking. Neil was suggesting getting one of those copper looking pans that are often advertised as non-stick but which look quite heavy. But I'm wary - no-one here sells them and I'd have to get it online, so it might be just another waste of money.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook and @PenguinMum I sympathise with the nonstick pan problem, I’ve spent a small fortune over the years trying to find a good one. I do have a set of heavy cast iron ones but everywhere is so damp in Cornwall, if I don’t use them for a week they’d have a green mildew layer.
Today looks like an OMAD. Day as I was out this morning. Put pork belly in for slow roasting before I went so just had to whack heat up for crackling at the end.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/roasted-pork-belly-creamed-pointed-cabbage
Didn’t follow their cooking instructions for the pork but I did use the seasoning mix for rubbing into the skin. The fennel seeds were a revelation!
Wine with the meal. Creamed cabbage as per recipe. A lovely meal.

NitinHP

I have just been for a 2 hour walk around a park with my partner. I ate single nuts when I needed and vape.

Still need to work on having meals at regular times.

I was very hungry so picked up half a chicken. So, still issues with portion control, at the very least. I did not finish it all, but left no skin and very little bone. It was very dry and crispy.

I have just had a piece of 85% chocolate.