Changing my diet from 95% meat to vegan oil free!!

John93

I have decided to go back to my traditional Indain diet with removal of oil and diary.
I reason is i think i couldn't gain insulin sensitivity from low carb high fat diet of one year even after lossing weight.
Anyone here who is vegan and has good control over blood sugar with any meds.?
Hi veryanxious, if you want to follow a vegan diet with no oil and make it well suited to Indian way of eating, there is an endocrinologist in Florida, USA by the name of Dr Soham Patel. His website has plenty of info on what to do and I think he runs online courses too. It would be worth investigating as you are dealing with an orthodox medical professional who also endorses a plant based way of eating that could suit people of Indian heritage. (he is Indian) Good luck and perhaps update the forum on what you find. I'm also searching around for the right diet and found low carb very difficult and in any case it doesn't really fix insulin resistance unless it is very heavily based on non starchy vegetables and legumes.

John93

I’m a vegetarian, but eat only limited dairy and eggs. Most of my days are vegan. And, yes, this works well for me. A1c’s right around 5.0% for the past 2 years. (Diagnosed at 11.8% so yikes!) The plan I adopted was Dr. Furhman. He doesn’t worry about fat from whole food sources - nuts/seeds, olives, avocados, coconut, etc but discourages added oils. When I track macros I end up around 45% fat, 35% carbs, 20% protein. As to whether or not a plan like Dr. Barnards which keeps all fats to a very minimum is better, I really can’t say. But for me, holding saturated fats very low and eating plenty of whole foods without worry about the specific macronutrient ratio is more pleasurable.

I enjoy Indian food, which no doubt is a highly Americanized version, so forgive me for using the wrong terms, but what I end up doing is making curries- I favor those with a rainbow of colors- the various daal dishes, the various green veg dishes, like saag tofu (you can use a milk substitute as the cream), and skip the rice and go very light on breads, or just skip them. I also keep white potatoes to a minimum. And when I’m making the dishes at home, I honestly just prefer simple preparations now. Steamed spinach, topped with white beans, a dash of sauce and sesame seeds? Delicious.

~ no meds, just to be clear.
Thats really interesting about following the Dr Fuhrmans way of eating. I'm searching around for all the info I can get hold of and my preference is to eat whole foods and be plant based. His diet is not very low carb or high fat but seems somewhere in the middle. Your A1c result is remarkable - down to 5% from 12% -wow! Just out of interest have you had an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test recently to confirm you really have totally reversed your diabetes? I keep reading about people claiming to be non diabetic but they never seem to do the tolerance test to prove it. This Dr Fuhrman diet sounds perfect (except for people who cant live without meat and dairy I suppose) Can't understand why it is barely mentioned.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
No, i didn't try multivitamins. I once tried mineral drops during low carb and it gave me weird feeling in heart. I will include sprouts and shoots of seeds, they are very nutritious and low in carbs as well.
I don't have no body fat to loose. I do IF too, whether its a low carb or high fat doesn't matter. I start with vegetables or nuts for breaking fast.
Yes at present no diet cures diabetes but as per my experience with keto/carbs it is not improving either. As i can very well control my hunger/eating patterns i do IF on low fat vegan and keeping calorie deficit to give room to increase insulin sensitivity. I am attaching a link perhaps you can get the idea i am speaking about-
https://thenutrivore.blogspot.com/2019/10/sugar-doesnt-cause-diabetes-and-ketosis.html?m=1
For me it was truly calorie access which caused sugar problems, i was eating even when i was not hungry. I was eating with goal to get fat.
Really interesting article. This is the first time that I have read an explanation for the action of Metformin.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats really interesting about following the Dr Fuhrmans way of eating. I'm searching around for all the info I can get hold of and my preference is to eat whole foods and be plant based. His diet is not very low carb or high fat but seems somewhere in the middle. Your A1c result is remarkable - down to 5% from 12% -wow! Just out of interest have you had an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test recently to confirm you really have totally reversed your diabetes? I keep reading about people claiming to be non diabetic but they never seem to do the tolerance test to prove it. This Dr Fuhrman diet sounds perfect (except for people who cant live without meat and dairy I suppose) Can't understand why it is barely mentioned.
Exactly, not sure why didn't i try it before going low carb. I was not even meat or egg eater. I was a vegetarian, had to learn to eat meat to do keto.

Reactions: Marie 2

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hi John - no, I have not done an OGTT. I think about it, but honestly, I consider myself a T2, for life, with a strong disposition to insulin resistance. Even IF I passed it, So what? I still have a very strong disposition to IR, I still need to stick to my “new” diet. Right now, my IR is low, given my low fasting BG and fasting insulin tests. HOMA IR = 1.09 on last test. Awesome, but I’m hardly cured, IMO. All I really care about is here and now, and trying to extend my “ treatment” plan and results as long as possible. FYI only, I wear I Freestyle Libre periodically and never go over 140 U.S. measures. Am I reversed? Remission? Cured? It may sound odd, but I neither claim to know, nor do I care.

Last edited:

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi John - no, I have not done an OGTT. I think about it, but honestly, I consider myself a T2, for life, with a strong disposition to insulin resistance. Even IF I passed it, So what? I still have a very strong disposition to IR, I still need to stick to my “new” diet. Right now, my IR is low, given my low fasting BG and fasting insulin tests. HOMA IR = 1.09 on last test. Awesome, but I’m hardly cured, IMO. All I really care about is here and now, and trying to extend my “ treatment” plan and results as long as possible. FYI only, I wear I Freestyle Libre periodically and never go over 140 U.S. measures. Am I reversed? Remission? Cured? It may sound odd, but I neither claim to know, nor do I care.
Thats true, infact every human has Insulin Resistance gene. But I believe once Insulin resistant, it can come back easily if given a chance then person whose Insulin Resistance genes never got activated.