Is weight Loss a 'must' for reversing Metabolic Syndrome?

Fireyeyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello
Sorry my first post I don’t know how this works
I am struggling with weight loss and have done for years ! First they say cut out sugar then they say cut out brea and cake then they say don’t eat too much fruit 2 a day ! Eat lots of veg and fibre I have I.b.s and other issues !!
now your eating way too much veg and meat ! Then now I am fat 5ft 2 . And weight 12.3 stone now they saying I am not eating enough and need to eat more foods !!!
I am so confused and don’t know anything anymore

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hello
Sorry my first post I don’t know how this works
I am struggling with weight loss and have done for years ! First they say cut out sugar then they say cut out brea and cake then they say don’t eat too much fruit 2 a day ! Eat lots of veg and fibre I have I.b.s and other issues !!
now your eating way too much veg and meat ! Then now I am fat 5ft 2 . And weight 12.3 stone now they saying I am not eating enough and need to eat more foods !!!
I am so confused and don’t know anything anymore
Hi Fireyeyes,
I'm not surprised that you are confused there is so much contradiction about diets and health.
Since you are a Type 2, the first thing to be aware of is that potentially all carbohydrates may spike your Blood Glucose - so until you have tested them you don't know which ones you may need to cut down or to cut out completely. - So many of us use a Blood Glucose meter to find out.

Another revelation: Calories are NOT equal! It is completely possible to gain weight by reducing your overall calories, just as it is possible to lose weight while increasing your overall calories. And this is without any change in exercise. I went on a LCHF 'Way Of Eating' to reduce my BG without losing weight. I actually increased my overall calorie intake due to replacing carbs with fats - but I still lost weight!
How is this possible? - Because Carbs raise Blood Glucose and high Blood Glucose makes the body (try) to produce Insulin to remove it. A drop from a high BG spike stimulates hunger- so can is a tendency to eat more Carbs. The Insulin not only removes glucose out from the blood stream into muscles (for energy), but it also pushes it into fat cells - growing them as an energy store (making the person fatter - like a bear preparing for winter hibernation). And since it is mean to increase fat stores, it also inhibits the burning of existing fat stores as fuel. So with high Insulin it is almost impossible to lose weight. Dietary fat doesn't increase Blood Glucose, so it is possible to burn body fat while on a high(er) fat 'way of eating'.

Reactions: zand

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a really interesting post. I’m a type 2 with insulin resistance, my GP has referred to it as metabolic disorder. It’s my weight that’s the problem - I carry it all around on my tummy. I’ve lost 3 stone in the last year. Blood sugars haven’t improved at all. Glad I’m not the only one struggling though. X

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a really interesting post. I’m a type 2 with insulin resistance, my GP has referred to it as metabolic disorder. It’s my weight that’s the problem - I carry it all around on my tummy. I’ve lost 3 stone in the last year. Blood sugars haven’t improved at all. Glad I’m not the only one struggling though. X
I’m assuming you’ve double checked that you really are low carb? It’s not at all unusual that someone comes in here believing they are low carb and there’s still lots of room to improve or there’s carbs sneaking in unawares.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m assuming you’ve double checked that you really are low carb? It’s not at all unusual that someone comes in here believing they are low carb and there’s still lots of room to improve or there’s carbs sneaking in unawares.
I try to stick to less than 30g per day. I’m the naughty one in the hospitals eyes as they always try to get me to eat more carbs.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Strange that you say your Blood Glucose numbers haven't improved at all when only eating 30gms of carbs per day.
I presume that you are testing before and the 2hrs after first bite of meals.
Why is it that you aren't able to control the BG spike from a meal to under 2 mmol/l ? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I found that to be relatively easy to do.
Or are you saying that you still spike after consuming zero carbs?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well for me, yes, weight loss was a must. While BG came in line while I was still overweight, weight/waist measurement took weight loss (obviously), but so did BP and cholesterol. Only at a “normal” weight did BP become healthy with no meds and cholesterol become something that makes my doctor smile.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is high blood pressure and/or high total cholesterol considered to be part of metabolic syndrome?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. As I only had high blood sugar and fat round my abdomen, it would seem that I haven't had metabolic syndrome ever. This is good to know.

I know, weird, eh? I'm the same.

have flirted with it (massive insulin resistance for a number of reasons) but even at morbidly obese, my chest, waist and hips are still textbook proportions for dress sizes (could be a fit model, which makes me snigger at the thought), my cholesterol has never been 'abnormal', my bp was only high due to a reaction to coffee. So no, no metabolic syndrome for me, either.

It is just another pigeon hole people like to use...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. As I only had high blood sugar and fat round my abdomen, it would seem that I haven't had metabolic syndrome ever. This is good to know.

I only had fat round the abdomen. Blood pressure and cholesterol always normal. I also never had high fasting BG. Just goes to show how different we all are, yet get lumped in with everyone else.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know, weird, eh? I'm the same.

have flirted with it (massive insulin resistance for a number of reasons) but even at morbidly obese, my chest, waist and hips are still textbook proportions for dress sizes (could be a fit model, which makes me snigger at the thought), my cholesterol has never been 'abnormal', my bp was only high due to a reaction to coffee. So no, no metabolic syndrome for me, either.

It is just another pigeon hole people like to use...
@lucylocket61

There does appear to be an "official version" of Met Syndrome
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 12.38.48.png

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 12.38.59.png

Kind of multiple choice diagnostic..

Edit to add this is from the supplementary tables of Virta's 2 years results that I happened to be looking at for something else.. spooky eh?

Reactions: Brunneria

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Probably not. What matters more is what is eaten rather than how much.
https://twitter.com/JPMcCarter/status/1214149974818205697/photo/1
what is metabolic syndrome? is this a term for insulin resistance? in my short but so far successful experience intense exercise [running and weights] and a modest carb and relatively high protein and fat intake to get some calories to do the exercise is the best solution. I sympathise with some folk who say they are unable to exercise and can't lose weight but they can substitute unneeded calorific carbs and fat with vegetables and high fibre pulses as lower calorie food stuffs. It would help build up good gut flora and immune system again too and help with ME or any other conditions and just generally makes you feel good/better in my experience..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but they can substitute unneeded calorific carbs and fat with vegetables and high fibre pulses as lower calorie food stuffs.
Low calorie makes no difference to me, either blood glucose wise or weight wise. Low carb does. Nothing wrong with fat as it’s bgl neutral, or fibre, but pulse are higher carb than I can deal with.

Two years ago I’d have thought very differently. My glucose meter, scales, tape measure, cholesterol levels and hb1ac have taught me differently

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have lost 4 stone, I go the gym 5 sessions a week with a combination of weights and mobility classes, and swim over a mile a day. My HbA1c continues to deteriorate, my cholesterol remains over 5 at 5.6 no-one believes I am a type II diabetic, it is now 20 years, diagnosed 1999. Sometimes you can do everything and still get a hard time from your diabetic nurse, who just tells me to eat less (she is obese). I don't drink alcohol or sugary drinks, I eat a crust from a wholemeal loaf every other day, I eat no white rice or pasta, lots of veggies, I grow my own. I make soup (no potatoes for thickening just veggies) for lunch most days in the winter, salads from my garden in the summer. I cook from scratch every day, we rarely eat out. I am tired of trying to beat this disease and just feel like giving up to the inevitable, which is what my not helpful diabetic nurse says.
my goodness you sound like you may need more rest between exercise [a serious point] - no mention of eggs, nuts and seeds [chia seed, linseed, sunflower, pumpkin etc and nuts and nut butters] are the only things you haven't mentioned in your diet - everything else seems to be a perfect reversal/remission route - I was diagnosed last April and took drastic action on diet immediately and took up running again - HbA1C started 108, 81 and now in 30s. I joined a running club to keep me going but I don't run every day and do little weights but I walk dog at least 5 miles a day in 2 sessions [much more gentle carb burning than the running] before and after work. We all have different metabolisms and I am not a doctor but maybe a little change would be a good experiment. Best of luck.

Reactions: HSSS

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low calorie makes no difference to me, either blood glucose wise or weight wise. Low carb does. Nothing wrong with fat as it’s bgl neutral, or fibre, but pulse are higher carb than I can deal with.

Two years ago I’d have thought very differently. My glucose meter, scales, tape measure, cholesterol levels and hb1ac have taught me differently
ok it is so different for each of us and things may not be same for me a few months or years later, best of luck. :)

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@lucylocket61

There does appear to be an "official version" of Met Syndrome
View attachment 38237

View attachment 38238

Kind of multiple choice diagnostic..

Edit to add this is from the supplementary tables of Virta's 2 years results that I happened to be looking at for something else.. spooky eh?
thank you for definition as I have not been in the category I should butt out of this thread and for the people who only eat animal products they might add a bit of rainbow veg to brighten up their life! just for a new experience - shortens life in the loo for a start - good luck