Anyone not having the 'flu vaccination?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never had one because I have always declined. I suffered a terrible bout of 'flu when I was about 12 so I know what it's like but my gut instinct has always been to decline any vaccination.

My job means I'm exposed to all manner of bacteria and viruses and have directly nursed swine 'flu sufferers with no ill effects. In fact, since my diagnosis and control of my diabetes and my intake of vit D3 for the past two years, I've not been ill at all.

I cannot base my decision on any rational thought so I wanted to ask any of you guys who have also declined, what your reasons are.

TIA wiflib

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm not having 1, never had 1 and never will. I guess it's because ive had enough with injections, finger pricking ect and the fact that just because I'm diabetic I'm being treated 'different'.

Clairslloyd

I had mine yesterday and will continue to have them over the many years to come and it protects meas I am more at risk. When my childrens get flu it usually means I will to and will feel much worse than they do and then I can't look after them. I would recommend it but the choice is yours :)

WhitbyJet

wiflib - you are so right. I have been low carbing for 4 years, the past 3 years I have managed to dodge colds and flu when everyone else around me were dropping like flies.
I feel that my immune system is stronger now than ever before, I eat fresh, home cooked food, I have collected berries, including elderberries* and frozen them "straight from the forest" for the winter months ahead.
I have my daily dose of coconut oil, which is supposed to be antiviral.

I feel very confident that I will get through the cold season without catching any nasties, so far it has worked.

*Google Sambucol, its a remedy to boost the immunen system, I prefer to eat elderberries instead.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I always have them, Wiflib, but I respect your decision not to.

If you encounter lots of germs during your job you probably have a good resistance to them. Ditto anyone who's around small but school age children. I don't see a lot of people ever, and I don't know many children, so I prefer to have the injection just in case.

Having said that, I think my immune system is okay. I've averaged one cold a year for the last 40 years (yes, I count - sad!), but I find when I do get one, I get it badly.

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

There seem to be wo threads on this subjec? But I am easily confused at the best of times and can only read anything because of the backlight on the screen. I often think I have gone completely off my rocker {at last ] imagining posts which are no longer there!

How do you use your elderberries Whibyjet? I love the flavour but am only aware of them being used in cordials wine etc?
There seem to be a lot arond just now so muight start collecting. Thanks

grh1904

I declined mine the other day.

Was at my routine check up with surgery nurse (HbA1c of 6.6 - happy with that), and was offered it.

I've had it once since being diagnosed & spent the rest of the winter with either a constant cold, sore throat or runny nose, and had 2 bouts of proper "man" flu - laid up in bed for 5 days at a time. It was the worst winter I've ever had.

I never was one for colds/flu etc, yes I did get them from timeto time but usually shrugged it off in a day or two. The one & only winter where I did take the flu jag I was bad, I mean BAD.

Eat sensibly with lots of veggies and keep fit by regular exercise.

WhitbyJet

Unbeliever - I have frozen the elderberries. When I want them I simmer them for a few minutes in a small amount of water or herbal tea, with a stick of cinnamon added to it. then add Splenda or Zsweet and stir in half a packet of sugarfree jelly or gelatine. Let it cool, I serve it with home made low carb vanilla ice cream or jam substitute on buttered toast (I bake my own low carb bread).
Also lovely stirred into full fat Greek yogurt.

Fallenstar

I'm going for it, I never used to bother a number of years back...through sheer laziness :oops: And never getting a cold or flu. Then a few years back I got Pandemic Flu..I felt like death and was kicking out Ketones like there was no tomorrow.
So I have had it for the last 4/5 years, no ill effects and no more flu...A bad Flu really will not only make you poorly but it will/could easily send you into DKA which is much worse than the flu...or a bit of a jab.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
When first diagnosed I was encouraged to have a vacc and had one of the H1N1 vaccs two years ago while on a 5 month caravan trip. I will not be having them again as since I started D3 supplementing have not had a cold or flu since 2006 while on a year long world trip.