Type 2 should you be given blood sugar Monitor

dobber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been very lucky, since I was diagnosed with t2 I've been given new meters every couple of years and no objection on replacement lancets and test strips which are free because I'm on diabetic oral medication. Just tell your doctor that Nice guidelines say that type 2 are recommended to test there blood glucose. They can't argue with that.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The ✻headline numbers✻ issued at my Diabetic Reviews ..is sufficient data for me to work with.

I stick to my food plan, daily walk routes, and Metformin ..if I took meter readings, the only beneficiary would be the test strip manufacturer.

If I want, really want ..to home test ..I'll ✻self-fund✻ it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ✻headline numbers✻ issued at my Diabetic Reviews ..is sufficient data for me to work with.

I stick to my food plan, daily walk routes, and Metformin ..if I took meter readings, the only beneficiary would be the test strip manufacturer.

That might work once you have a food plan that achieves the numbers you are happy with but how did you get there? How did you decide what foods caused you an issue and which didn’t? How did you motivate yourself in those first few weeks and months when you were unsure if it was working, waiting for the next “headline” hb1ac?

A 6 month prescription with appropriate instructions on how and when to test and what the numbers mean in relation to food would be a powerful educator for many, especially those that are dismissive of “fads” or self study. The numbers right in front of them would help many believe the message.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I told my nurse that I self tested with a blood glucose meter she said I shouldn’t do that as it was dangerous, after that I told her I had just fasted for 3 days she nearly fell of her chair and then told me because I’m diabetic I shouldn’t go 5 hours without eating. At the same time she halved my dose of metformin.

Also when my gp sent me for my Hba1c blood test I asked if they could check my fasting insulin, her reply was “I don’t have access to that test “.

to say I’m unimpressed with my gp surgery would be an understatement.

I'm afraid that so far as I know the NHS does not "do" fasting insulin tests anywhere.
I did ask a room full of doctors at the PHC conference and not one had ever had it done on the NHS.
In fact only 3 people in the room had ever had it done and I was one of them .. we'd all had it done privately.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i'm glad that's working for you.
after my first foray into the meal plans, i needed WAY more guidance.
so i self funded, as most do on here.

i think for 10 years i was pre or t2...(have blood tests as back in 2010/2011 had too much Cholesterol..went on diet to lower)
for those 10 years the missus was my guiding light as to what was healthy..so i ate low fat, high carb (inc cereals)
with the odd sneaky treat..bacon.sausages and the good old fry up breakfasts;)..( .OMG the fats....:woot:)

And then i got the DX..HBA1c 56..Welcome to T2D.:D

THEN for the next 6 weeks she made me double down..i went high carb..(well more carbs as prescribed by the Eatwell plate)..i went from low fat to almost no fat..rinds OFF, sausages OUT, vegan IN..Well Linda McCartney and co

6 weeks where i was almost constantly hungry, miserable, depressed and close on giving up on life..:arghh:
but my cheerleader/sergeant major told me to
"Suck it up buttercup, it's for your own good, each day you ARE getting better, can't you see.:bookworm:"....

well honey, NO..i can't see....:sorry:

NOR could my doctors..the next HBA1c was 57..:banghead:
MY lowest point EVER in my life, apart from death of parents...

all that effort, zero rewards..and if i had to eat like that forever, i'd rather be dead....:mask:

a real low time.

so in desperation i turned to Dr Google,
"Type 2 a PROGRESSIVE disease, leading to Complications for X%..high likely hood of amputations"
it read.......but all i saw was.. "GAME OVER" ...:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

BUT while looking i also found this forum, read up on the many successes, and started testing.and life 2.0 began for me

Many of the foods i WAS eating spiked me, so i swapped out some.... then all those others that were cereal offenders ( ;).).also bit the dust, once i KNEW the real cost to ME.

(CEREAL really.:wideyed:.,and BREAD.:woot:...but i loved you the most...how could you do that to me..:***::arghh: )

i now KNOW i eat better foods re T2 AND for MY Bodies general health.., because my bloods since that time have improved..Dramatically.

My HDl/LDL/TRIGS all went from HIGH risk..( no one had mentioned that :wideyed::***: )
to optimal or borderline, so still work to be done.

however life 2.0 is now GOOD again..:D

i eat better, feel fuller, no longer suffer from hunger, the way i did, and have way more energy...
and now WANT to greet each day like an old friend.

Here's a point i kinda keep secret, even from myself.:lurking:

IF HIGH Blood Sugars, can do SO much so damage to our blood vessels/nerves/bodies,
that the professionals, think it's almost inevitable we will suffer some damage, aka retinopathy neuropathy,
and in far too many cases their best solution IS amputations..

what COULD that be doing to areas of us where the sensations of numbness or loss of vision won't show up so easily...
THE most important area of OUR very being, to my mind..the BRAIN ?

So save your money..good for you.:)

but for me, the price of just eating as i'm told,
(trusting the HBA1c average will tell me when i spiked 2 months earlier ..during xmas, perhaps..:rolleyes: )
WITHOUT testing so i KNOW if it IS right for ME, or i can take remedial action to stop a re-occurrence.......far too high a price to pay.

good luck on your journey.

oh, out of interest, (may have missed it)..
but what was your HBA1c scores.
sure other may see it differently from me, and might like to copy your success.

Because Any road that gets us there, is good by me.
BUT it HAS to get us there.

Last edited: