HbBA1C jumped from 42 to 69. Not responding to low carb diet.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think a GP is allowed to discuss a patient with someone else without their consent.
Often, people want to feel like their making their own decisions and what one side thinks of as helpful advice is viewed as 'orders' or 'railroading' by the other and there is resistance. Perhaps lead by example and don't say another word until he's so curious he's busting to ask and then resist the attempt to download, just present relatable 'breadcrumbs'. Could you keep your stats daily on the fridge? Just for yourself you understand and make him feel a partner by asking him to help you without any requirement to join your endeavour. He may feel overwhelmed and powerless.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am keto so he tends to have what I have.
So just carry on cooking keto and don't cook anything else then every meal you have together will be keto.

If he really does want to get better then get him to join up here. If someone tried to tell me what to eat I think I'd get very defensive, no matter how well meaning I knew they were being, whereas getting to know first hand from strangers who have been there might be more conducive to change?

Edit to add plus if he's retired and you're working it will give him something to do all day!

maz2003

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think a GP is allowed to discuss a patient with someone else without their consent.
You are if the dr deems it to be in the patients best interest, which she did. She then failed to follow up on her self suggested actions.

maz2003

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Often, people want to feel like their making their own decisions and what one side thinks of as helpful advice is viewed as 'orders' or 'railroading' by the other and there is resistance. Perhaps lead by example and don't say another word until he's so curious he's busting to ask and then resist the attempt to download, just present relatable 'breadcrumbs'. Could you keep your stats daily on the fridge? Just for yourself you understand and make him feel a partner by asking him to help you without any requirement to join your endeavour. He may feel overwhelmed and powerless.
While that’s a nice idea I have been doing this for 2 years. I am sadly running out of steam. In the meantime while he is sleeping 18 hrs a day I am cooking his low carb means and looking after our three young children. Our children are actually the victims in this situation.

maz2003

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
So just carry on cooking keto and don't cook anything else then every meal you have together will be keto.

If he really does want to get better then get him to join up here. If someone tried to tell me what to eat I think I'd get very defensive, no matter how well meaning I knew they were being, whereas getting to know first hand from strangers who have been there might be more conducive to change?

Edit to add plus if he's retired and you're working it will give him something to do all day!
Telling him what to eat?!

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While that’s a nice idea I have been doing this for 2 years. I am sadly running out of steam. In the meantime while he is sleeping 18 hrs a day I am cooking his low carb means and looking after our three young children. Our children are actually the victims in this situation.
I think you need more help than an online forum can give. Does your GP have a programme for carers?

maz2003

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t really consider myself a carer. Nor have I sought support for being a carer. Sadly I dont have the time being the breadwinner and only caregiver to the children. Hence why I have said a degree of personal responsibility is required.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has your husband had a thyroid test done? Sleeping so long is not normal.

Danmiluk

My metformin stopped working for no reason in bobbed along at 55 then boom 114, never felt better at this point blood sugars were 33.4 after fasting whacked on insulin got told you'll have loads of energy. Complete opposite extreme fatigue, blurry vision, pins& needles in my hands and massive brain fog, turns out the I very little folic acid, I've been reading a lot metformin may reduce b12, folic acid. He needs to help himself.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If he is unwilling to try keto or other possible methods then nothing will change unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water as they say.

I hope you can get something going, if you can get him to try keto even for just a week it might be a start. One other possible problem is if he is eating stuff while you are not around and just keeping it secret. It happens. As you said, he needs to take some sort of responsibility to get the ball rolling. Good luck.

maz2003

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My metformin stopped working for no reason in bobbed along at 55 then boom 114, never felt better at this point blood sugars were 33.4 after fasting whacked on insulin got told you'll have loads of energy. Complete opposite extreme fatigue, blurry vision, pins& needles in my hands and massive brain fog, turns out the I very little folic acid, I've been reading a lot metformin may reduce b12, folic acid. He needs to help himself.
I have truly tried, however it’s hard when he won’t seek the help he needs. I keep thinking we are at rock bottom and that surely he needs to do something and then another week... month goes by. I say this in relation to the wider but connected health issues rather than hba1c.