Flu vaccination

Neil Cookson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
Please be careful this year (2019) as the flu jab we all receive, if taken up is not as effective as the doctors thought.
I’ve just spent 2 days in EAU with confirmed flu after having my vaccine in October. Late, I know but apparently (doctors receptionist!!) informed me “I wasn’t in a high risk group and had to go elsewhere”
My point is...when I was in High Dependency, there were also another 2 type 1 diabetics with flu.
Everyone be extra careful as the virus is early this year and seems to have the Hospitals concerned.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There is also a pneumonia vaccine, which you only need every 5 years. Well worth considering for a T1.

Reactions: Bogie and Freema

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi all,
Please be careful this year (2019) as the flu jab we all receive, if taken up is not as effective as the doctors thought.
I’ve just spent 2 days in EAU with confirmed flu after having my vaccine in October. Late, I know but apparently (doctors receptionist!!) informed me “I wasn’t in a high risk group and had to go elsewhere”
My point is...when I was in High Dependency, there were also another 2 type 1 diabetics with flu.
Everyone be extra careful as the virus is early this year and seems to have the Hospitals concerned.

The flu jab does not protect you from every strain of flu (there are many). I guess you was unlucky with the strain you caught

Reactions: Freema and jjraak

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
As has been stated it depends if your unlucky with regard to catching a strain of the virus which was not in your vaccination!

I have only had Influenza once and that was when I was 14 years old (had been Type 1 for only about a year since 1981) and I thought I was going to die!. Absolutely awful.. Always makes me laugh when people say they have the flu and they are better after a day or two.. I was seriously ill for over two weeks!

Since getting vaccinated every year since 1982 I have never had Influenza since, so I've been lucky not to catch it with a different strain and long may that continue..

Get the pneumonia jab if you haven't had it as you definitely don't want to have to deal with that with this condition..

Reactions: Freema

FranceBrun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got the vax this year because my doctor is always after me to do it, and I haven't felt well ever since-about six weeks ago. Not really awful, but aches and pains, sometimes feeling warm or having a headache, upset stomach here and there.
It's not the first time this had happened, and in fact, there have been years when I didn't get it. But I work in a liquor and tobacco store now and all those people coughing all over their germy money, I thought it was better to do it.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Always had the flue jab when I was working as worked with people, still have one and no side effects, so better to have and be protected than not to have is my motto !!

Reactions: Freema

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Never had the flu jab and never will!

Reactions: carty

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As has been stated it depends if your unlucky with regard to catching a strain of the virus which was not in your vaccination!

I have only had Influenza once and that was when I was 14 years old (had been Type 1 for only about a year since 1981) and I thought I was going to die!. Absolutely awful.. Always makes me laugh when people say they have the flu and they are better after a day or two.. I was seriously ill for over two weeks!

Since getting vaccinated every year since 1982 I have never had Influenza since, so I've been lucky not to catch it with a different strain and long may that continue..

Get the pneumonia jab if you haven't had it as you definitely don't want to have to deal with that with this condition..

seriously. I had the real flu about 15 years ago. I was face down in bed for a solid 10 days. I really considered going to the ER because I passed out cold on the way to the bathroom. I only lost a few minutes I think but it scared me. I had recently moved and really only had my coworkers around - no chance to make friends yet. I ended up telling my sister to call me 2x per day and if she didn’t hear back to send the police for a wellness check because I had visions of smacking my head on the bathroom countertop going down. Ugh. Shot every single year since with fingers crossed that I don’t get the strain it’s not covering that year.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never had the flu jab and never will!
Let's hope you don't get it then. In the US in the 2017/18 winter 80,000 people died of flu and its complications, so it is a serious risk.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Sambucol at the first sign of any viral infection. This has kept me going with out any virus problems for over 20 years, not even a common cold!

Reactions: Neil Cookson

Walker1178

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’ve ignored 3 requests now to get my jab as everyone that has had it has complained of feeling ill for weeks afterwards. Stupid excuse as like a few others I’ve also had real flu and ended up in hospital from it. I knew I was in trouble when my mum called round to check up on me and asked when I had last bathed, my reply was ‘What day is it?’ Needless to say after a wash I was carted off to a&e and admitted.

I think I was unlucky last year as it really hurt my arm! I inject daily so not a wuss but my arm was tender and felt bruised for nearly 2 months.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
seriously. I had the real flu about 15 years ago. I was face down in bed for a solid 10 days. I really considered going to the ER because I passed out cold on the way to the bathroom. I only lost a few minutes I think but it scared me. I had recently moved and really only had my coworkers around - no chance to make friends yet. I ended up telling my sister to call me 2x per day and if she didn’t hear back to send the police for a wellness check because I had visions of smacking my head on the bathroom countertop going down. Ugh. Shot every single year since with fingers crossed that I don’t get the strain it’s not covering that year.

Yep absolutely. I have a cold at the moment and I am still trying to get rid of it after 5 weeks!. I can still get to work etc but it seems the older I get the longer it takes me to get over things. I've given up on the lemsips and capsules as they have done absolutely nothing, Apart from costing me money.

If it was Flu I dread to think what I''d feel like...

IkariWarrior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is also a pneumonia vaccine, which you only need every 5 years. Well worth considering for a T1.

I was offered this at the surgery this week. It's the first I'd heard of it so I was a bit taken aback and said 'no thanks'.

The news that evening was all about the mystery virus in China - so I wondered if it was connected at all to that. But it seems perhaps not, bearing in mind your post is from a month ago.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asthmatic.. so get the jab every year.
really do NOT want the flu on top of that..:wideyed:

been lucky no flu..and in fact since going LCHF no colds either.:D
( is a thread on here, and it seems some of us T2's on LCHf have an added benefit re colds.etc)

Hope it works for the flu as well..bound to have jinxed myself now..:***:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Asthmatic.. so get the jab every year.
really do NOT want the flu on top of that..:wideyed:

been lucky no flu..and in fact since going LCHF no colds either.:D
( is a thread on here, and it seems some of us T2's on LCHf have an added benefit re colds.etc)

Hope it works for the flu as well..bound to have jinxed myself now..:***:

You better stock up on chicken soup now! ;)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You better stock up on chicken soup now! ;)

Haha.. Cheers @Tophat1900 will do

Rather rude of me not mention that others had also benefited, so it's not just T2's
That get the added benefit from
Colds/flu that low carbing SEEMS to offer some.

* As a food illiterate back in the day,
( It was there just to feed me.)

.I never cease to be amazed at how many nooks & crannies the additives in food seep into, and the benefits.. Well for me and some others,... a simply change of diet can bring.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Haha.. Cheers @Tophat1900 will do

Rather rude of me not mention that others had also benefited, so it's not just T2's
That get the added benefit from
Colds/flu that low carbing SEEMS to offer some.

* As a food illiterate back in the day,
( It was there just to feed me.)

.I never cease to be amazed at how many nooks & crannies the additives in food seep into, and the benefits.. Well for me and some others,... a simply change of diet can bring.

Yes indeed, I do agree.
The importance of diet cannot be overstated imo, once you get away from all the junk and horrendous "eatwell plate" dietary advice you realise how important real food is. All of your organs are running on whatever you eat.

jinty73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All members of the british government, benefit fraud, liver & kidneys, animal cruelty, having to work
I’ve been type1 for thirty years and the last three years I’ve not taken the flu injection as I don’t see the point due to there being several strains every year, they pick the most likely to create a vaccine so it’s a gamble whatever you do.
I take Barocca every day and eat plenty super fruits like blueberries and I’ve avoided everything so far. Late post as I know all the other messages are weeks old but just thought I’d throw in my view

Reactions: shaz2608 and jjraak