Scrotal pruritis

jpg

Scrotal pruritis, or to be be indelicate, itchy balls, has been a problem for me since diagnosis with type 2 about 12 years ago.

Hydrocortisone creams work for a short while but the itching comes back and despite trying my hardest not to scratch, I find myself doing it, usually in bed when I am half asleep.

The result of all this seems to be a thickening of the skin and often intense soreness. I have tried Lanacane as a means of stopping the itch/soreness but this only gives temporary relief.

I suspect that topical glucocorticosteroids are the only treament that my GP seems to know about. I do know that some newer eczema treaments are effective with genital itching - should I request a referral to a dermatologist?

JPG

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Over use of these creams can thin and damage the skin so yes, get a referral to a Dermatologist and tell him how long you have been using these creams.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Having suffered from this kind of irritant a few years ago you have my heart felt sympaty.

I gave up on the creams after my morning bath and followed a friend's suggestion of using Cuticura medicated talc. I also stopped using all those gels etc in favour of plain unperfumed soap. It receeded within a couple of weeks and now I am not bothered by anything down below.

I have no idea what caused my problem but I do know how to keep it at bay ...well, for me at least, anyway!

Give it a try, all you have to loose is that abominal itchy rash, and what worked for me might just work for you too

"Cuticura Talc absorbs excessive perspiration faster than any other talc on the market and helps to ensure personal freshness after bathing or showering, especially when it comes to feet and between toes.

This Cuticura is a mild medicated talc which contains Allantoin and does a fantastic job helping to soothe minor skin irritations and discomfort simply caused by heat rash or sunburn.

Cuticura Talc is a so kind and caring on delicate skin which makes it perfect for the whole family to use."

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good advice from Hobs about not using perfumed soaps, I stopped using these about 20 years ago due to them causing a skin irritation on my face and neck, also refrain from using perfumed shower gels and bubble baths, as these can be quite strong too. There is a good range of unperfumed products now, so it may be worth trying these products to see if they make a difference.

Nigel

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jpg, How are your glucose levels generally? The reason I ask is because I had intense itching just before diagnosis when my levels were high and when I got them under control, it went away. I note you say it started when you were diagnosed so it could be this but obviously this is only speculation. My Nurse said itching (including in that delicate area) is very common when levels are high and could be down to yeast infections or a number of other things but it CAN be associated with high glucose levels also. x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@KK123 you’ve posted on a very old thread. JPG hasn’t logged in for over 7 years.