Exercise plan too intense??

EBBeech

I am a healthy weight but have very little muscle and so want to start weight training I was thinking 5 days a week doing pure weightlifting, no cardio. Is this going to be too intense? Will I need to make adjustments to my diet to allow for this? I am on a keto diet currently so should already be getting enough protein

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @EBBeech Can you tell us if you're type 1 or 2 ? as your profile doesn't state it.

In regards to exercise, only you can decide if it's too much, I am type 1 and started out very carefully so I could monitor BG levels and see what worked, my goal is to avoid hypos as this stops me from exercising but if this isn't an issue for you then go for it but keep a diary to track your progress. In regards to protein have you thought about protein shakes ?

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I exercise six days a week, but I do different exercises on different days except that I always start with isometrics. I follow the FIRST* method, which means exercising muscles to failure. This did terrible things to my BG readings to start with, but I adjusted. I also do three rebounder sessions a week, as I think cardio does help in conjunction with resistance exercise, especially as type 2 diabetics have a nasty habit of getting heart attacks...

*The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training: Your Optimal Exercise Guide to Diabetes Prediabetes Metabolic Syndrome Cholesterol ... Disease, Science based Approach
Shang M.D., William

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercise six days a week, but I do different exercises on different days except that I always start with isometrics. I follow the FIRST* method, which means exercising muscles to failure. This did terrible things to my BG readings to start with, but I adjusted. I also do three rebounder sessions a week, as I think cardio does help in conjunction with resistance exercise, especially as type 2 diabetics have a nasty habit of getting heart attacks...

*The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training: Your Optimal Exercise Guide to Diabetes Prediabetes Metabolic Syndrome Cholesterol ... Disease, Science based Approach
Shang M.D., William
Thanks for sharing this, I'm looking for a motivating book/plan to ease me back into strength training (I already walk a lot, and do physio stretches daily). Before I invest into this book, is the plan suitable for exercising at home (kettlebells/dumbbells) or is it gym-based? BTW, my GB is very well controlled through carnivore eating, and I'm still shedding excess fatty deposits. I want to exercise more for both muscle and brain strengthening effects.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Weight training for me is a daily thing, straight after dinner. A simple 20 min walk and then followed by short 25 - 30min routines, each one is different. This works for me. I don't bother with protein shakes having just eaten a meal before hand. If I add anything to a drink it's a bit of beef collagen powder, not whey.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a healthy weight but have very little muscle and so want to start weight training I was thinking 5 days a week doing pure weightlifting, no cardio. Is this going to be too intense? Will I need to make adjustments to my diet to allow for this? I am on a keto diet currently so should already be getting enough protein
I know some people swear by lifting weights every day, just divided into muscle groups (eg. legs on Mon, chest and biceps Tue, back and triceps Wed, then repeat). For building muscle, it is important to rest the "injured" (by exercise) muscle and allow it to build new fibres from the amino acids circulating in the body. Some other researchers even clam that the best strength training is done only once a week (Body By Science book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results-ebook/dp/B001NLL38S). Maybe do some more research yourself and see what's best for your body.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personaly i would go with a mix of both. Days of weight training, days of rest.

Or dyas of weight training, days of cardio. Cardio is great for increasing fitness if you go for explosive interval type exercise rather then endurance. It wouldnt cause weight to drop of you but you will find lifting comes on quicker.

Until you build some muscle up, i would also recommend trying to 8x 6, 4, 4, 6, 8 rep method. This starts with a lower weight at 8 reps, then a higher weight at 6, higher at 4, 4 then lower again back to 6, and again back to 8.
Really helps build up the muscles and also tendons and supporting systems needed for heavy lifting.

If you go directly into the "lift as much as you possibly can" methodology you will most likely end up with injuries and get put off, the same is true of you don allow rest days.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the only thing I'd add as a PT to the excellent suggestions above, is that frequency of training will be according to age (the older you are the more rest you need to repair your muscles in between) but importantly your ability to consistently stick to a plan so I'd make realistic plans based on those 2 things as one size does not fit all.
YouTube is also a good way to explore who inspires you most. Doug McGuff of Body by Science fame is there and his book is great and I personally like Marsha on Short Circuits as she does home based type workouts with dumb bells or kettles in 15 minutes:
ps don't spend too much time 'shopping'

Reactions: Larissima

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Thanks for sharing this, I'm looking for a motivating book/plan to ease me back into strength training (I already walk a lot, and do physio stretches daily). Before I invest into this book, is the plan suitable for exercising at home (kettlebells/dumbbells) or is it gym-based? BTW, my GB is very well controlled through carnivore eating, and I'm still shedding excess fatty deposits. I want to exercise more for both muscle and brain strengthening effects.
This book goes into a lot of detail as to the "why" diabetics should exercise and exercise hard. It does suggest some initial training programmes, but these can be done at home and does not require gym-only equipment. I currently use a rebounder, resistance bands, body weight exercise and dumbbells - but I am probably at a different life stage to you (this is why I can often be heard muttering "I shouldn't have to do this at my age...")