Is my insulin now useless

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Dia-Besties

Just a quick question. I put my fridge up to the highest level to get it extra cold but I forgot to set it back to a normal Temperature. My insulin was in a container at the back of the fridge.
Basically the fridge got so cold that a coke can popped and now even though the insulin still looks like liquid, is it any good?

I know that you have to be worried about heat but is cold an issue too?

I’ve just got my new prescription and I hate that I might have to throw them away.

Thanks for any advice.

NC

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
General guidelines are that if you suspect you insulin has ever been frozen it should not be used. Suspect this will be on your packet also, if your not 100% sure you could call your local pharmacist.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frozen insulin is not useable so you’ll have to get a new prescription for new batch of insulin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're sure it has been frozen, bin it, it won't do a thing. When not sure, you can either bin it to avoid highs, or try it out and test a lot to make sure it works. This is only an option when you're very sure you can do so safely.

Accidents happen, I had to bin 2 months worth of insulin after finding out my fridge had been too warm for over a month.