Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Seems a while since I last posted.

After two HbA1c readings of 41 in succession I liked to think that, somehow, I was getting somewhere, albeit by accident over design,.

But then, as often happens, things started to fall apart.

I found I could no longer tolerate the LCHF diet. I just couldn't stomach it. I had two bouts of food poisoning and my weight fluctuated by several pounds up and down across the weeks. I just couldn't face eating...well eating the good healthy stuff.

So I've eaten rubbish. Sweet rubbish.

My weights gone up by about 8lb (Apparently I look much healthier now as I looked gaunt and ill before!) and in the last....four months or so I might have had three good days.

I cant face much meat. I'm off fish. I can't face veg.

I have eaten spag bol...without the spag, pizza and fish fingers. My Autistic mind simply revolts at the thought, sight and smell of even more than it did before.

I have been back and forth to hospital having all sorts of tests because I have a very specific, constant chronic pain (tear inducing) that nobody can fathom, I'm getting about 2 hours sleep a night and Work is hell on earth.

But apart from that...I'm fine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

After two HbA1c readings of 41 in succession I liked to think that, somehow, I was getting somewhere, albeit by accident over design,.

I found I could no longer tolerate the LCHF diet. I just couldn't stomach it. I had two bouts of food poisoning and my weight fluctuated by several pounds up and down across the weeks. I just couldn't face eating...well eating the good healthy stuff.

My weights gone up by about 8lb (Apparently I look much healthier now as I looked gaunt and ill before!) and in the last....four months or so I might have had three good days.

I have eaten spag bol...without the spag, pizza and fish fingers. My Autistic mind simply revolts at the thought, sight and smell of even more than it did before.

I have been back and forth to hospital having all sorts of tests because I have a very specific, constant chronic pain (tear inducing) that nobody can fathom, I'm getting about 2 hours sleep a night and Work is hell on earth.

Full respect to you for posting and opening up about your difficulty with LCHF. Maybe trite but it seems to me you have pinpointed the problems and have every intention of resolving them. FWIW prayers with you and admiration for opening up which is often seen as unmanly.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hear you Patrick - another here who fully understands the need to share the painful along with the positive. Much love to you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Full respect to you for posting and opening up about your difficulty with LCHF. Maybe trite but it seem to me you have pinpointed the problems and have every intention of resolving them. FWIW prayers with you and admiration for opening up which is often seen as unmanly.
Thank you.

I try my best. Sometimes its just so overwhelming.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hear you Patrick - another here who fully understands the need to share the painful along with the positive. Much love to you.
Thank you.

I lapse often and long- usually triggered bu outside events beyond my (feeble) control

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Patrick I am sorry you are feeling bad and nobody’s life continues in a straight line for very long. I am hoping they find a solution for that pain because thats hard. Do your best with your diet none of us are saints. Take care and keep going as best you can. Sending you very best wishes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear from you. We do what we can when we juggle multiple conditions.

Where is your specific pain?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nothing useful to be pulled from my hat, I'm afraid. But I am sorry to hear things have gotten this bad and hope things'll turn around. I know a 180 isn't in the cards, but something better than this, anyway.
Hugs,
Jo

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good to hear from you. We do what we can when we juggle multiple conditions.

Where is your specific pain?
Not sure I can say on this forum- a '"delicate" area...to put it politely!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh Patrick I am sorry you are feeling bad and nobody’s life continues in a straight line for very long. I am hoping they find a solution for that pain because thats hard. Do your best with your diet none of us are saints. Take care and keep going as best you can. Sending you very best wishes.
Thank you.

Full respect to you for posting and opening up about your difficulty with LCHF. Maybe trite but it seems to me you have pinpointed the problems and have every intention of resolving them. FWIW prayers with you and admiration for opening up which is often seen as unmanly.
Hi im new here i have very bad pains in both hands they are ice cold my dr isnt sure if its nerve damage its so painful just wanted to no does anyone else have this thank you

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Patrick - really sorry you’re having a tough time. Not easy to low carb if you’re not sleeping well and work is difficult.

Have you been testing your blood glucose? How is it looking?

I’ve never gone low carb because I couldn’t face the prospect but I have been eating low glycemic index. I find I can handle lentils, beans, low sugar muesli, and ryvita. If you’re going to eat carbs you might be better on the stuff that digests slowly.

Another thing I’ve been doing is a 20+ hour fast once a week, basically skipping breakfast snd lunch. I really think this helps my insulin sensitivity. It’s not for everyone though. I dunno what medication you’re on etc.

Another thing you could think about is some more gentle exercise like walking. Might help with the sleep a bit? That’s all I can think of right now.

Reactions: Schmoukes

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 - I am sorry that you are having such an awful time- it sounds really hard.

I do not underestimate the difficulty of maintaining the LCHF way of life and I also suffer some days from my mind revolting at the thought of meat or fish. And I do not have autism so no where near the struggle you have.

Having a number of conditions to manage is extremely challenging. It is also difficult to open up about that struggle. You are brave to be able to do so.

I also hope they manage to find a solution for the pain- that alone will be raising your blood sugar levels,

I hope things improve for you- sending you good thought and my best wishes.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 - I am sorry that you are having such an awful time- it sounds really hard.

I do not underestimate the difficulty of maintaining the LCHF way of life and I also suffer some days from my mind revolting at the thought of meat or fish. And I do not have autism so no where near the struggle you have.

Having a number of conditions to manage is extremely challenging. It is also difficult to open up about that struggle. You are brave to be able to do so.

I also hope they manage to find a solution for the pain- that alone will be raising your blood sugar levels,

Thank you

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick - really sorry you’re having a tough time. Not easy to low carb if you’re not sleeping well and work is difficult.

Have you been testing your blood glucose? How is it looking?

I’ve never gone low carb because I couldn’t face the prospect but I have been eating low glycemic index. I find I can handle lentils, beans, low sugar muesli, and ryvita. If you’re going to eat carbs you might be better on the stuff that digests slowly.

Another thing I’ve been doing is a 20+ hour fast once a week, basically skipping breakfast snd lunch. I really think this helps my insulin sensitivity. It’s not for everyone though. I dunno what medication you’re on etc.

Another thing you could think about is some more gentle exercise like walking. Might help with the sleep a bit? That’s all I can think of right now.
Blood sugars okay. I walk quite a lot but my duets awful.virtually nothing I want to eat and my stomach throwing itself about when thinking about food is just so hard to live with.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Thank you.

Yes its a struggle. I can't really plan meals as what I might think I want to eat on Thursday...is not what i want when that day comes. I hate having to buy food and 'guess' what it is that I will eat in 48 hours time. And I'm Autistic, I'm supposed to be good at planning things.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Me too - I feel less helpless by being on the forum though.

Do you ?.
Occasionally i do but more often than not it just re-enforces my failures. I eat junk. I don't want to but I am just failing so bad.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you ?.
Occasionally i do but more often than not it just re-enforces my failures. I eat junk. I don't want to but I am just failing so bad.
Yes - sometimes just posting, as you have here, about problems helps me although I must admit I do often feel the urge to try to be positive when all I want to do is cry. And sometimes crying out loud is the right thing to do.

I've just spent a few days as a train wreck - so I absolutely know what you mean. Coming back here helps me to think about having another go, at least.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes - sometimes just posting, as you have here, about problems helps me although I must admit I do often feel the urge to try to be positive when all I want to do is cry. And sometimes crying out loud is the right thing to do.

I've just spent a few days as a train wreck - so I absolutely know what you mean. Coming back here helps me to think about having another go, at least.
I keep meaning to have another go- then I fail again. Because I am ill again. Slippery slope.