I think cows milk causes it

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if the forum is tolerant of theories and may have heard it all before but this is the only agent that connects all of my conditions (Type 1 D, Sarcoidosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc) together in one basket

Mycobacterium avium ss. paratuberculosis
(MAP) a bacterium found in cows milk and linked with dozens of problems. It has indeed been found in Type 1 patients but never Type 2. Granted, it's mostly accossiated with Crohn's, which I don't have.

You may have heard BCG tuberculosis vaccine is being studied as effective management of Type 1, well MAP is of the same baterium family. Interestingly I had a BCG in 2005, which lasts for 15 years. I got my diagnosis in 2020. Ironic coincidence I'm sure but I believe there is something in all of this.

There is also something about the proteins it gives off look the same as our pancreatic cells, causing our immune system to mistakenly attack them. More info below

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rohn's_Disease_and_They're_Giving_Us_Diabetes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if the forum is tolerant of theories and may have heard it all before but this is the only agent that connects all of my conditions (Type 1 D, Sarcoidosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc) together in one basket

Mycobacterium avium ss. paratuberculosis
(MAP) a bacterium found in cows milk and linked with dozens of problems. It has indeed been found in Type 1 patients but never Type 2. Granted, it's mostly accossiated with Crohn's, which I don't have.

You may have heard BCG tuberculosis vaccine is being studied as effective management of Type 1, well MAP is of the same baterium family. Interestingly I had a BCG in 2005, which lasts for 15 years. I got my diagnosis in 2020. Ironic coincidence I'm sure but I believe there is something in all of this.

There is also something about the proteins it gives off look the same as our pancreatic cells, causing our immune system to mistakenly attack them. More info below

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rohn's_Disease_and_They're_Giving_Us_Diabetes

Medina, there are almost as many theories about the root cause of T1 as there are those living with T1 diabetes.

I appreciate the diagnosis must be a huge shock and learning to live with it is a big challenge, but many find it best to invest their energies into their self care and learning about moving forward, rather than looking back. The thing about the past is, we sure as heck can't change it.

Good luck as you move forward with this. There are many, many T1s on this forum with, between them, centuries of experience Ince, so there should be lots of support for you, as and when you need it.

Reactions: Looudus and porl69

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's true and hope this post doesn't cause discomfort

But like I said it goes with my other autoimmune situations

In any case the paper is linked if anyone wishes to read it

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's true and hope this post doesn't cause discomfort

But like I said it goes with my other autoimmune situations

In any case the paper is linked if anyone wishes to read it
Medina, I'm not telling you off, so I hope it didn't come cross that way.

The thing bout auto-immune conditions I see that once you have one, you are slightly more susceptible to others.

M

Member496333

My personal feeling is that the most likely culprit as the aetiology behind the majority of autoimmune responses, is grains. Specifically wheat. Dairy likely also plays a role. Honestly, biochemistry is so unimaginably complex that a meteor will probably raze the planet long before we ever fully disentangle it.

There will never be a consensus, regardless. Think about it - we still can't even agree that carbohydrate is a major aggravator in metabolic dysfunction. The chances of us ever fully understanding type 1 are in the ballpark of zero.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting read and thought provoking. Well done for finding this link @Medina27!

I appreciate the diagnosis must be a huge shock and learning to live with it is a big challenge, but many find it best to invest their energies into their self care and learning about moving forward, rather than looking back. The thing about the past is, we sure as heck can't change it.

It's an interesting concept that there is a link between these conditions and Medina has found it - i find it best to just believe it's the un-luck of the draw why many of us were diagnosed. I was a very healthy 4 year old, but my body just decided to attack itself. I agree that devoting time basically asking "why me?" is not going to help, but the biological study and links found can be fascinating and a lot of people rely on them to change their lifestyles for the better.

Reactions: porl69

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a point of imterest, Mycobacterium avium is a genus of micro organisms that is found quite commonly in soil and water and although needy of a host for it to flourish, nonetheless it is a hardy organism that is difficult to eradiacte by natural means eg heat or freezing. The word avium means the organism was originally associated with birds. The ss. means subspecies

There are four basic subspecies, one of which you have linked to an article about. Just to widen the topic slightly, one of the other subspecies is being developed artificially to provide feeding additions for fish farms, since the sub species is the one associated with creating Omega 3 in both fish and ruminants who eat the microbes naturally. Another of the subspecies was geneticslly altered to provide vegan haem Iron supplenmentation, and one other subspecies forms the basis of Quorn meat substitute. So if there is an effect that can trigger an autoimmune reaction in humans, then I hope we discover it soon.

Just a note: I was infected by tuberculosis as a kid some 70 years ago, and although I am T2D now, it is not an autoimmune reaction in my case. Also in my case, it was human to human transfer that was responsible.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi my son has Sarcoidosis, but not diabetes.
I was diagnosed over 30 years ago with type 1 after deep distress and shock. I have a few auto-immune conditions, I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease when my daughter's dad went into hospital for 5 months. I knew he was dying, but kept it from our daughter, she was just 11 and during this awful time, I was getting ill.
My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 aged just 2 1/2 years.