Newby here -Hi !

Kay_66

Hi, I'm Kay age 53 6 weeks ago I had a routine blood test . The good news ,as my Dr put it , is my liver and kidneys are good. Apart from being in the middle of the menopause I also have an underactive thyroid, hi cholesterol and am borderline type 2 diabetic. My test showed 47 and 48 (2 wks later) .
I have put on some stomach fat but I put that down to the menopause. Pretty much blame that for everything. Both my parents were type 2 and my youngest son is (30).
So I'm trying really hard to lower my blood sugar . I've not had any refined, also cut down carbs , no fat .
Have been advised to go to this nhs prediabetic group thing but I'm not reading good stuff about it. I figured the people to ask are the ones who deal with it every day !
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kay

Reactions: Lotties

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Kay and welcome to the forums.

Many of our T2 forum members are using some form of Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet to reduce blood sugar levels so by cutting down on carbs you are off to a good start.

I think I would suggest that if you have time available, then go to the prediabetes group being offered . You might learn something useful and you stay on the good side of your GP and practice nurses. If it turns out to be a waste of time then you haven't really lost much.

If you have high cholesterol then 'they' may try to get you to take statins. Be aware that statins usually raise blood glucose levels and are the subject of many (sometimes heated) debates within the forums.

I'm sure that some T2 forum members will be along to offer some advice soon.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to this site,

You have found the best place to get help and support for people with diabetes of any kind or prediabetes.

Read the link posted by @Rachox as it has. lot of helpful information. Don't worry if it seems a lot- you will learn it all gradually.

Read around the site- people here are awesome and happy to answer any questions.

Good luck and welcome