Tips for learning to drive with type 1

Amy13056

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya! I got my license back (after the DVLA) took it from me last year and would like to get the ball rolling with my driving lessons. Any tips for driving with type 1? Only been diagnosed 7 years and not driven with my condition yet.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure your instructor knows your condition. Test regularly. Have a snack before starting, you would rather be a little on the high side than going low whilst driving. If you can, use CGM with alarms to alert you if it starts dropping low before it goes too low.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Here's my tip. Libre sensor + Miaomiao + XDrip app.

Every T1's dash should have one..

Congratulations on getting your licence back!

image.jpeg

Getting_Fit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you tell me what this is? I’ve searched for this and can’t find any matches - I use the Libre

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you tell me what this is? I’ve searched for this and can’t find any matches - I use the Libre

Hi,

Yes certainly I can. I use the Miaomiao mark 2 (or version 2. Call it second generation?) found on this link. https://miaomiao.cool

Plenty of members use this device on this forum. Feel,free to search for historical testimonies.

It works with the Libre relaying the readings to a device (in my case an old A3 Galaxy phone.you see in my picture.)
The app "xDrip" can be calibrated to the BG meter.
And at one touch of the home screen button, I can get an "at a glance" reading of my BG in the phone cradle, on my lock screen setting..
This needs to be set up in the XDrip phone app settings. You can either set it up like "wall paper." Or set the reading size with direction arrows in a position of your choosing on the look screen of the device.?
You can change the colour too.. I chose red. "Blood?"

I don't use the Abbott reader, just my phone starting the Libre sensor with the Librelink official phone app. Then use the xDrip app with the Bluetooth enabled Miaomiao like a "CGM." No waving the scanner about using NFC over the sensor like a "Jedi."
Updates every 5 minutes & the battery status of your Bluetooth sender.

Feel,free to ask further if unsure? I'll help all I can to clarify.. :)

Reactions: urbanracer