Disappointed in advice - Newly DX

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a word of warning Leatrix, not all Health professionals are on board with low carb as a way to put blood sugar levels back into the normal range, so you might get some resistance. May be print out this paper for them to peruse after you’ve informed them that that is the route you are taking:
https://www.practicaldiabetes.com/w...etes-experience-from-one-general-practice.pdf
A compromise may be to accept the Metformin but not the Gliclazide. Metformin will not risk hypos. Some people get side effects but some like myself don’t.

Agreed with the acceptance of low carb by some health professionals. While I have not chosen "low carb" myself that is more down to the fact I do not see me being able to keep it up and interactions with the family etc. I did however mention low carb to my DSN and her response made me chuckle a little...."Yes, low carb is good of course.... so long as its also low fat.........." Me thinks she had no idea what I was talking about!

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
Smile and, with the advice of people you trust, go your own way. Works for me and I don't trust anyone really
The nearest I get to trusting is my Diabetes Clinic Doctor which is fortunate.

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on the LCHF diet as soon as I was diagnosed. I was put on gliclazide 1 x 40mg a day. By the time I had my 6 monthly review my hba1c had gone down from 99 to 39 and my doctor and diabetic nurse recommended I stop taking the gliclazide as they were worried about hypos. This was nearly 2 years ago and I have not had any diabetic medication since then. My last hba1c in November was 35.
By the way I have had PMR since 6 months before type 2 diagnosis and have been on steroids starting on 15mg of prednisolone and now on 5 mg. The LCHF diet insomnia good for PMR.

peterlemer

Since I began Vaganuary my bloods have fallen significantly. whether it's the vegan thing or the fact that I've added brewer's yeast to my meds, I'm very happy with progress.

Reactions: jjraak

Pipster72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Check out the Facebook group "reversing diabetes". They advocate managing T2 through diet and have loads of information in their files.

Reactions: jjraak

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow, you don't know just how much you've cheered me up! I'm used to reasonable carb counting from my diet, so knew I had the dedication to lower the carbs, as it's just a matter of tweaking my existing diet (albiet quite a lot more tighter). I just don't like the thought that I could hypo on Gliclazide, esp as I have two boys with autism and I know they wouldn't cope, so I'm trying to keep it altogether at the moment. :nailbiting: I'm going to call the Diabetic nurse in the morning and see if I can have the at least 2 weeks grace before going back to see her, and see if I can delay taking the GZ until I can see if I can get the numbers down by diet (and perhaps Metaformin). Can't thank xfieldok enough to recommending I speak to you and to you for giving me hope! x
Can you ask to see someone else. You may find another nurse who is more prepared to listen to what you want to do. My GP always asks what I want and I think agreeing a plan with the patient is something that is expected of medical centres these days. The days of dictating should be over. If dictating is still the style at your surgery I'd consider raising it as an issue with her line manager. Good luck!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, well, as the title of the post says I'm feeling pretty gutted today. I went for a 50 year old birthday check up at the GP's practice and it came back with Fatty Liver and Diabetes t2 112 and my finger-prick test was 12.8 today, I had eaten porridge at that point. I also have a long standing Hiatus Hernia which I take 20mg of Omeprazole for and I said several times to the Diabetes Clinic Nurse that I really wanted go on a lower carb diet (I've already lost 5 stone on a 130mg carb a day) and try that before medication (I hate being on Omeprazole as it is!) and she said no, and today has put me on 2 x 80mg of Gliclazide per day (told to buy some jelly babys just in case of hypo's) along with Metaformin (working up to twice a day) and I'm honesty feeling so sad that I don't know what to do. :( I feel like I haven't even been given a chance to try and bring my levels down. Did anyone else have levels this high and bring it down without medication successfully? I'm willing to try anything but meds at this point.
Hello, and sorry to read of your experience...
I've not read all the replies to your post so I may repeat something, but:
A ketogenic/keto diet will "burn off" liver fat and improve things
I was able to come off Omeprazole for excess tummy acid (not hiatus) after going Keto for a few weeks
Going keto will quickly and massively reduce your blood glucose levels so taking oral GZ or Metformin aswell poses a real risk of a hypo
Even if you are successful in losing weight and normalising your blood glucose and liver fat by low carb dieting you will likely still find healthcare professionals who are dubious/unsupportive.
This forum is VERY supportive - you've come to the right place! :)

greatpotoo

Hello Leatrix,

if you are new to the condition you should initially follow the advice of your healthcare provider (they usually know what they are doing... although sadly there are also exceptions to this rule and quality of advice may vary hugely...).

Secondly you should start researching your condition at your own pace - don't trust information blindly as the web is full of "tales", "cures" and "wonders" which do not work. Use trusted sources, walk to your local library and look at some books on the subject. Look at research (this may be overwhelming initially as the vocabulary used may be complex but the more you read about the subject the more you'll understand).

Have a look at your diet, do some exercise, realise, if you haven't already, that it is important to take care of yourself and your body.

Once you have gathered all the information and start feeling more comfortable with your condition you can start making changes to your medication and challenge your doctor/nurse.

Some promising research has shown that fasting may do wonders for all sorts of conditions including T2D. You don't need to starve yourself but a well planned fasting regime may do wonders... If you have a chance look into Dr Michael Mosley's BBC Horizon program
Eat, Fast and Live Longer.

I can also recommend the following books on the subject:
The Fast Diet by Dr Michael Mosley
The 5:2 Diet by Kate Harrison
The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung

Best of luck to you!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leatrix, you have landed on your feet, by joining this forum. The advice you have been given o far is excellent, well and truly tried and tested.
With you doing research and taking on-board the advise given, you are ahead of the game, by seeing the benefit already.

You are still waiting for the call, remember stay strong, its your condition, you have the right to treat your condition which suits you best.
You dont have to go on meds, congratulations that you want to try diet first. So don't let them dictate to you.
You dont have to listen to what they say, if you disagree with them.

My team totally disagreed with my suggestion on how to manage my condition.
They told me, I must eat carbs, low carbing is unsustainable, not to test, as it would cause stress. This was after that I said I'm going to low carb and test.

I am T2, diet controlled, Hba1c of 36. And I'm about 7 years on from diagnosis.
Carry on with hat What you're doing.