LADA with severe TMJ

AnaAinsworth

How do the dentists and doctors expect me to eat if I cannot even open my mouth wide enough for water to go in? Already have high ketones and not much they can do in hospital. Any suggestions? Lost 18 lbs since a couple days ago.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How do the dentists and doctors expect me to eat if I cannot even open my mouth wide enough for water to go in? Already have high ketones and not much they can do in hospital. Any suggestions? Lost 18 lbs since a couple days ago.

So sorry you are suffering this. Have they offered you any treatment for the pain? If you're unable to open your mouth to take fluids then I'd have thought the only treatment would be a glucose and liquid drip???? Presumably best done in hospital????

Hope you feel better soon.

AnaAinsworth

So sorry you are suffering this. Have they offered you any treatment for the pain? If you're unable to open your mouth to take fluids then I'd have thought the only treatment would be a glucose and liquid drip???? Presumably best done in hospital????

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Ellie, they haven’t offered me anything for the pain. Severe lock at the moment. Have a thing about going to the hospital... not a fan. Have people monitoring me at home. Already have signs of dropping lower than what I’m used to.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ellie, they haven’t offered me anything for the pain. Severe lock at the moment. Have a thing about going to the hospital... not a fan. Have people monitoring me at home. Already have signs of dropping lower than what I’m used to.

Ana, in the circumstances, could you try something like a milkshake, using a suitable, widish straw, maybe similar to the ones th ey used inMacDonalds? If that would work, then liquidised soups and such like could work too.

If you have ketones, are our blood sugars high or low? If they are high, do not mess with DKA would be my suggestion. I feel they are low, maybe less likely to be heading for DKA, but as a T2 I would be nervy saying anything to definite.

Do you know what caused your lock up? More often than not the locks are with the mouth wide or less wide open. Has your TMJ acrually dislocated or partially dislocated, or is it a big muscular spasm?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had a similar thing a lot of years ago brought on by extreme stress - for six long months I existed on thinned down diet milkshakes, Complan and milk (with a straw) which i could just about cope with by filtering it through my teeth. What I had was very painful and scary but your DMJ sounds worse so you have my total sympathy.