Going off eating?!

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, as many of you know I have been on low carb / keto since around Christmas, as far as i'm aware I have not gone back except stopping the Jardiance though I did take two last weekend, afterwards i felt quite ill so decided that was not such a clever idea.. Since then though i am really off my food, i can cook it, i had a good breakfast yesterday or bacon and mushrooms, dinner was cabbage and bacon / chorizo, it took me a while to concoct it all and took a few mouthfuls and could not eat anymore, i felt if i had anouther mouthful i'd be sick though at 8pm i had two dessert spoons of cream... i have no idea what made me do that and i sort of felt ok afterwards.

Today i got up and after fasting for some 18 hrs i decided to have some breakfast which was an omelette with chorizo niblets and mushrooms in it, i did eat it all, that was around 2.30pm.. i just made dinner tonight and took two mouthfuls again and can't face it... please has anyone else felt like this, i'm ok except i had a nap this afternoon and woke up in a sweat and a migraine from hell.. its gone now and i don't feel that bad, not how i ought to be but just not right somehow, tired and i do know that i am craving ice cream- i don't have any, but i keep thinking that would perhaps make me feel ok lol... I'm wondering why?!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many carbs are you eating? Sounds like ketosis to me!

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How many carbs are you eating? Sounds like ketosis to me!

Barely any i think, egg, mushroom, chorizo and a little lactose free milk for the omelette, tonight, mushrooms, a little fennel, courgette chippy things- sliced and baked with parmesan with a small piece of rump steak and just couldn't manage it all.

Reactions: xfieldok
M

Member496333

Doesn’t sound especially abnormal when eating a ketogenic diet. Eat when you’re hungry. Not before and not after. Works for me anyway. If I prepared a meal just because it’s allegedly time to eat, I’d end up staring at the plate.

Reactions: MillieT

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reducing steroids and insulin over the past few weeks, both of which make you hungry. Over the weekend, my appetite has plummeted to almost nothing. Not tested ketones as yet, but am thinkin g I have slipped back into ketosis. The greatest thing about it is your not looking for food all the time, but you have to remind yourself to eat.

Reactions: Lotties and MillieT

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
At the moment I only feel hungry after I have eaten.
Wierd, but once you are fasting the urge to eat seems to go away.
Possibly have a small snack before you plan to eat and see if that kick starts the urge.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I downloaded an app and put in everything i have eaten today and the results are 8 grams of carbs, 76 grams of fat, 83 grams of protein and 1069 calories, i could up my fibre as shows as only 2g. can anyone add comment to this please? I really want it to be a success, thank you all for your replies.

M

Member496333

What you do not know, is how many calories were taken from your body fat. Probably quite a lot if you are in any level of dietary ketosis. If you feel good and you’re not hungry then I wouldn’t overthink it. Your body will let you know when it wants you to eat. Keep calm and carry on.

Reactions: MillieT and Lotties

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My first thought was where is anything fresh and crunchy - no salad stuff?
Many people can eat up to 50 gm of carbs a day and control blood glucose and lose weight - your take on the diet seems a bit extreme - I know that I am in the more sensitive to carbs range, but even I can eat up to 40 gm.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been zero carbon, carnivore this month, fasting 3 days a week. I started off eating well for the first 2 weeks but now can't face much food either. Friday will tell whether I have lost a little fat. I'm trying to get under 40% on my body-fat scales.
I have overbought at the butchers for the second week in a row.
You are not alone. The eating when hungry is still being overridden by the boredom factor at the moment making me feel euugh when I do eat out of time. Double cream is still a delight -possibly due to the tiny amount of carbs in it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been able to eat eggs for nearly a year. Just the thought of them is unappetizing, and I used to like them.
My doctor and I were talking today about this sort of thing. For instance, I always have an appetite for bread. But if I eat meat for breakfast and for lunch, by suppertime I cannot face the thought of eating any more meat. And for several months now I have had no appetite for vegetables.
I guess there is no such thing as protein addiction but I believe there is such a thing as carb addiction!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sweaty migraine doesn't sound much fun.

Bearing in mind we're in md-winter and aside from all other considerations there are lots of bugs around. Were it me, I'd just keep an eye on things and not force myself to eat for a day or so. If it goes on and you are actually fasting, that could get tricky, but shorter term, provided you're taking enough fluids, I'd not be tooooo concerned.

If you feel any worse, then maybe consider the Doc.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Migraine can have a pre, during and post phase. All certainly effect my appetite. Again I’d wait a few days and see if it settles or becomes apparent there’s something else going on before assuming it’s diet. Even then you’ll need to decide if it’s undesirable and what to do about it. (Maybe you’re eating more fat than for the effect you want, maybe you will be adjusting to a new normal of longer intervals between meals)

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My first thought was where is anything fresh and crunchy - no salad stuff?
Many people can eat up to 50 gm of carbs a day and control blood glucose and lose weight - your take on the diet seems a bit extreme - I know that I am in the more sensitive to carbs range, but even I can eat up to 40 gm.

I did have my fennel bulb with dinner, in fact I ate all of that and not much of the other, i am actually feeling meat is a bit rich and not sure i could do the carnivore thing, i also ate all my courgette slices, whilst i do not feel bad, certainly this morning i realise i am very sensitive to carbs. 11 hours fasting again and still not hungry, i may have an omlette later with chorizo and spring onion, i've started using those over regular onions.

That particular breakfast and dinner was not planned at all, it is just what was available at the time, i need to shop every couple of days because the veg goes faster than anything and also of late, I have noticed it going off within a day :| I have to drive into Town each time too as the local shop of any use is barely ever open, we think it is just a hobby for the owner!

Reactions: Lotties

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did have my fennel bulb with dinner, in fact I ate all of that and not much of the other, i am actually feeling meat is a bit rich and not sure i could do the carnivore thing, i also ate all my courgette slices, whilst i do not feel bad, certainly this morning i realise i am very sensitive to carbs. 11 hours fasting again and still not hungry, i may have an omlette later with chorizo and spring onion, i've started using those over regular onions.

That particular breakfast and dinner was not planned at all, it is just what was available at the time, i need to shop every couple of days because the veg goes faster than anything and also of late, I have noticed it going off within a day :| I have to drive into Town each time too as the local shop of any use is barely ever open, we think it is just a hobby for the owner!
@miffli
I started buying my veg at waitroses or at the local farm shop - before Xmas as Carny this month. Saved me a fortune as it tends not to go off so quickly especially the Cavallo Nero and Swiss Chard that comes in protective packs at the same price as Tesco.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have frozen vegetables and berries - no need for shopping several times a week.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I downloaded an app and put in everything i have eaten today and the results are 8 grams of carbs, 76 grams of fat, 83 grams of protein and 1069 calories, i could up my fibre as shows as only 2g. can anyone add comment to this please? I really want it to be a success, thank you all for your replies.
I would increase your carb intake to 20g of carbs per day to maintain your metabolism and hopefully stop headaches. You may be interested to read The Hormone Reset diet by Sara Gottfried MD Very good if you want to lose weight and explains the science about how our metabolism works. Your metabolism needs a minimum amount of carbs otherwise you will be battling against your body trying to slow your metabolism thinking there is a food shortage. 20g of crabs is still very low, personally I think 8 g is too little, I did the same as you and it back fired on me as it was too extreme. Are you doing this to lose weight or control diabetes or both?

M

Member496333

I would increase your carb intake to 20g of carbs per day to maintain your metabolism and hopefully stop headaches. You may be interested to read The Hormone Reset diet by Sara Gottfried MD Very good if you want to lose weight and explains the science about how our metabolism works. Your metabolism needs a minimum amount of carbs otherwise you will be battling against your body trying to slow your metabolism thinking there is a food shortage. 20g of crabs is still very low, personally I think 8 g is too little, I did the same as you and it back fired on me as it was too extreme. Are you doing this to lose weight or control diabetes or both?

I respectfully disagree. It's restricted total energy that can slow BMR, not restricted carbohydrate. There is no minimum human requirement for exogenous carbohydrate. The liver maintains homeostasis by secreting glucose. Primarily under the action of glucagon.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I respectfully disagree. It's restricted total energy that can slow BMR, not restricted carbohydrate. There is no minimum human requirement for exogenous carbohydrate. The liver maintains homeostasis by secreting glucose. Primarily under the action of glucagon.
Hi Jim. You are absolutely correct, and I followed this diet for a long time but caused myself a few problems. An endocrinologist told me you also need the correct amount of cortisol and thyroxine for your metabolism to function correctly.

Eating low calorie as well as low carb (<20g per day) as has been posted, may eventually cause your thyroid to slow your metabolism by producing reverse T3, which I did and this was in my blood test results. I only say this as I wouldn't like anyone to go through the problems I did. I carried on with the diet but increased the carbs to a minimum of 20g carbs per day, not much, following the endocrinologists advice, this worked for me. I would now say I am slim and have maintained this for over a year. I do think we are all different with different tolerances, but better to have as much knowledge as possible. The book I mentioned also talks about this. You are absolutely correct in what you say but it's whether your thyroid has an adverse reaction that may muddy the waters.