My breakfast today

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, today I had bacon with fat chopped off, 2 fried eggs, a small wholemeal piece of toast and a slice of cheese. Is this okay to have? I've been having omelette since I was diagnosed on NYE but needed something different.
Does anyone have any other ideas for breakfast what are good for diabetics?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As you take insulin you should be fine with the toast, provided you dosed for it. Only you can judge if the meal was OK based on your numbers.

You are labelled as “other” by your avatar but I recall you suggesting you had T1. Are they still investigating or do you have a diagnosis? I ask because advice re diet might be different.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, today I had bacon with fat chopped off, 2 fried eggs, a small wholemeal piece of toast and a slice of cheese. Is this okay to have? I've been having omelette since I was diagnosed on NYE but needed something different.
Does anyone have any other ideas for breakfast what are good for diabetics?

Hi,

Your profile says that you are on insulin, but it doesn't say which type of diabetes you have.
That info could affect the info and suggestions you are given.

If you know how to adjust your insulin to the amount of carbs, then there is no reason why you can't have bread.
On the other hand, many diabetics (including some of those on insulin) find their diabetes easier to manage if they keep the carb intake down.
Basically, it is what works for you, alongside medication and lifestyle changes, where necessary.

Personally, I avoid carbs and would find that the slice of bread would raise my blood glucose too high, but that the bacon and egg would be perfect. Also the cheese.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
***edit - did not notice the Insulin potential Type 1 comments - The below may not be as relevant if Type 1***

This totally depends on what diet your doing. If you’re doing the Keto/LCHF then drop the toast.

Keto – Natural yogurt with berrys and nuts is a good one with lots of combination.

If your not doing Keto and able to tolerate some carbs then you have loads of options. If you eat and do some testing, you will know what you’re able to tolerate.

I have Shredded wheat most days, its whole grain, fairly high carb but takes time to digest – no added sugar etc so 2x shredded wheat with warm milk does not increase my bloods at all. (I know that that type of cereal does not raise my bloods, but if I have corn flakes/rice crispy type cereal it does)

Ready break type porridge gives me a blood rise, but “traditional” porridge made with rolled oats does not with added berrys. Suspect its just about how quickly it is digested.

I can also tolerate baked beans well, so Eggs, beans, mushrooms don’t spike my bloods. Or Tinned tomatoes with any meat/eggs.

I have Natural yog with berrys, nuts and seeds (I go for zero fat which has more carbs but less calories – again if you can tolerate it and are looking to loose weight this is a good option – if your keto you would want the high fat version as its lower carbs.

If your on Keto it is more meat and eggs based breakfast – natural yog if its full fat. But if not Keto then just try some things and test 1 – 2 perhaps 3 hours after to make sure your not getting a delayed spike in bloods.

My HBA1C went from 87 to 33, I had Shredded wheat maybe 70% of breakfasts in that time so its not some delayed rise im missing– keeps me full and also gives a nice hit of fibre that im lacking from other meals. (If its with cold milk its like sawdust – but with milk and 90 seconds in the microwave its soft and you get lovely wheat flavoured milk – im so used to not having sweet things now it even tastes sweet to me without adding anything)

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I still haven’t been told which type I have and do insulin 3 times a day and long acting lantus before bed. I checked my BG before my dinner and it was 7.7, before breakfast it was 8.4. So it has come down. I’m expecting a call today from nurse so will ask if they’ve figured out which type I am.

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
30g porridge oats
15g chia seeds
Handful of flaked almonds
Good handful of frozen or fresh berries
Bit of cinnamon
Good big spoonful of peanut butter
About 200ml of unsweetened almond milk