breakfast

bigo

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but have been type 2 fo few years.
Can anyone help me with best things to eat for breakfast and lunch, being a carpenter on a site, I find it difficult to take 'specially measured' food. I heard oat cranola is high in suger and I try to cut out bread as it bloats me out. Would be pleased for any help. Thanks. O

ClaireG 06

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Here is a link to some advice we like to give to new members that you may find useful

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Most of us agree that as carbs eventually turn to sugar, it is a good idea to limit them. The only real way to tell what foods effect you is by testing. Test before eating and then two hours after, your levels should be around the same.

If you look in the food and nutrition section i am sure you will find some ideas of things you can have for breakfast and lunch. I tend to either have egg based things for breakfast like fried or scrambled eggs and bacon or an omlette of some kind or greek yogurt with berries. Lunches i normally have meat or fish with salad.

I hope that helps a little. Please come back and ask any more questions. There is nearly always someone who can help :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally have some home-made muesli which my wife makes from Porridge oats plus other non-sugary stuff such as seeds. I also have egg and bacon which should have little effect on blood sugar. I don't have too much of the porridge as it is a carb after all.

smeatons

For breakfast I measure out one of the follow cereals:

[*]ASDA Indulgent Treats (various types such as Apple Crumble & Custard Crunch) 45g = 20.7g
[*]Jordans Country Crisp Chocolate 40g = 26.28g of carbs
[*]Fruit 'n Fibre 40g = 27.6g of carbs

Sometimes when on holiday I have a cooked breakfast: bacon, eggs, mushrooms are all good. Sausages and beans you need to be careful with as these have carbs in, so in small quanities are fine, but don't go overboard. I tend to skip the toast even if it's brown.

For lunch I tend to have a small ham salad sandwich (brown roll)

The key is to try different things and test to see how they affect you - everyone can tolerate different things/amounts.

regards,
David

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Bigo, and welcome!

I have a 2-egg omelette for breakfast almost every day - doesn't take long to cook, and fills me up nicely for the morning. Sometimes with mushrooms or cheese, or a bit of bacon or a sausage, but mostly plain. The few times I have cereal, I use 'Lizi's Granola' (available from most supermarkets), usually about 30g or 40g which doesn't make me spike too much. I have even been known to have cold chicken salad for breakfast - really clean and refreshing! Occasionally I'll have Greek yoghurt with blueberries.

For lunches on site, I take cold meats or cold sausages (high meat content ones have very few carbs) with some cheese, and bite-sized veg eg baby tomatoes, strips of pepper, radishes and cucumber. Sometimes I'll take a tin of tuna mixed with mayonnaise, or cubes of corned beef. A handful of nuts is nice too. With all of these you can pack them in a plastic box the night before and put them in the fridge. Just remember to take them with you in the morning!

If it's really cold I'll take a wide-mouthed flask with some hot soup - either home-made or a lowish carb canned variety - to go with my salad-y lunch. Once you start thinking outside the box there are lots of options.

You'll gather from the above that I eat very low carb, but if I want something carby and crunchy I eat oatcakes (5g per biscuit) or sesame ryvita which are about the same. The beauty of low-carbing is that once you've worked out what you can eat without carbs (meat, eggs, cheese, fish etc, and low-carb veg)) you can eat pretty well as much as you like, so no need to go hungry. It's more difficult if you're vegetarian! :)

And if you're not low-carbing, you can eat your daily carb allowance in the evening, in the comfort of your own home!

Hope that's of some help.

Viv 8)

hallii

Even us vegetarians have an excellent range of low carb protein like "Quorn" and TVP to choose from.

A veggie burger between two slices of Burgen Soy and Flax seed bread is quite good.

Home made soup from any vegetables is fine, but not to many potatoes, parsnips, peas, and a few others.

My favourites are carrot and coriander, roast pepper or mushroom with cream cheese. Just cook with onion and garlic in a suacepan with low salt stock and liquidise (not to smooth or it won't keep you full for so long).

I find the black rye bread slices to be better than bread from wheat.

Boiled eggs. mashed with mayo and spread on rye bread with a side salad is nice.

Hope it helps.

H

Carbdodger

Hi
I had low carb cheesecake for breakfast today. Yum.
Lunch was a green smoothie and smoked mackeral with some homemade fla crackers. Easy to trasport.
Cd

bigo

HI peops, thanks for the help, my doc is not too forthcoming with advice on such subjects and says to refer to internet for detailed help etc etc. thanks all O