Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been told fruit is good for me.
I had a banana for pudding and me sugar went ape
I changed it for grapes and noticed me sugar was still high in places
Berries are good I've been told but are too expensive
Plums are next in line but again price is an issue
The object of the exercise is to find a pudding I can have with me tea in the evening
Fruit Yogurts have been suggested but how high a carb?
What do members suggest an alternative?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

You could hit the cheese board for desert.?

Fructose content in fruit can affect BGs. Especially the exotic ones..

Reactions: Barb McD

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The object of the exercise is to find a pudding I can have with me tea in the evening

I've seen people on the forums refer to grapes as 'sugar bombs' in the past so I'd be wary of them.

I don't eat any flavoured yoghurt other than Muller Light which is usually just under 6g per pot. But you could try some plain Greek style yoghurt with a small sprinkling of muesli perhaps. I sometimes add a level teaspoon of Nutella or honey which is about 4 or 5g of carbs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many grams per serving would be advised?

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me being a pain I've been told but pudding is a sweet and not savory part of a meal
Cheese to me is the latter.
Not looking to make anything just buy and eat.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Me being a pain I've been told but pudding is a sweet and not savory part of a meal

Some people have a couple of squares of dark chocolate, 1 Jaffa cake, or a yogurt. the lowest I have found in carbs, so far, is 4.5 carbs.
It all depends what your body can tolerate, what you can reasonably afford and not spike you.
Just remember Ice cream has been mentioned on the forum, maybe one small scoop?
I am type 1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Don't worry, yer not being a pain. Your are looking for instant "karma" with a desert.

Most prepared stuff has the carb content on the back. Something like a fruit yoghurt will & should have the nutritional values per 100g. Now the way I look at the packaging. There is the overall carb content & "of which are sugars." Most focus on the carb content. But for me, (as a T1 also gauging a dose of insulin.) the of which are sugars can affect how fast I am likely to spike & how my meds deal with it regarding timing..

If you look at the overall carbohydrate content on the packaging devide that figure with the weight of the portion you want & see the effects on your BG using the meter, you should get a gauge on works for you..

Edited to add; tagging in @Bluetit1802 & @Goonergal .. I believe Green & Blacks dark chocolate gets a positive mention.?

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like jelly and cream as a treat. Can he bought in most supermarkets. Can’t remember the brand but tall pot and has 10 on the front. Pour over thick cream. Delicious!

Reactions: Tophat1900

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like jelly and cream as a treat. Can he bought in most supermarkets. Can’t remember the brand but tall pot and has 10 on the front. Pour over thick cream. Delicious!
I agree with the sugar free jelly! I eat a lot of it :hungry: I use Hartley’s 10 cal ready made ones. I think that’s what @Flora123 is describing. I eat it with cream and a sprinkling of low carb granola.

Edit to add, each jelly is less than 1g carb per pot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'll be blunt. Sugar and hence "sweet" things are the enemy of T2's so if you can avoid desserts altogether you'd benefit.
Fruit is doubly bad as the fructose goes straight to your liver for processing and can contribute to Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (quite common in T2's).

Try some frozen raspberries? They are cheaper than fresh and once half thawed and covered in double cream make a nice pud.
They may not be very sweet but it would be best for you and your health if over time you could get out of the "sweet" habit and go for savoury instead. This is where cheese wins hands down.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @bulkbiker , but in the meantime for quick and easy, try some high percentage cocoa (70% min) melted in a ramekin with extra thick double cream, or the cream with some almond butter. Or you can buy either sachets of sugar free jelly and make that up to have with cream, or buy the ready made pots of sugar free jelly. Beware, some of these options are very moreish!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Many of those choices (for a T2) are the LAST things I'd eat .... REALLY bad. Surprised it took so long until @bulkbiker mentioned what is the obvious. Don't touch sugars, ever

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are just going to buy them, then I'd suggest reading the labels and see what are the lowest carb ones you can find.

Personally, I like full fat greek yoghurt with some walnuts tossed in and I make my own jelly which I added on top of the yoghurt and walnuts.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I feel your pain!
On first diagnosis I laid into the fruit because I thought it was "healthy" until a Dietitian clued me in.

"I had a banana for pudding and me sugar went ape". Well, yes, lots of carbohydrate there.

"I changed it for grapes and noticed me sugar was still high in places". Well, yes, mainly sugar in jelly.

Plums will also be quite high in sugar. However we are starting to see a problem. If the plums in Lidl are too expensive then many other things are likely to be too expensive as well.

I think the first thing that you have to take on board is that if you expect a pudding to be "sweet" then that is a major problem for a diabetic. Unless you use artificial sweeteners (which can cause other problems) then you are unlikely to get a sweet pudding that is also good for you.

I am having a "work hard at being good" phase at the moment and miss my little treats.
What I am having for a treat at the moment is cooking apples stewed with some lemon juice. Tart, but tasty.
Adding double cream takes away the tartness and makes a very nice desert (IMHO).
I am also having some Oppo low carb ice cream but that is expensive.

The main advice is to try stuff and "eat to your meter" which you are obviously already doing.

Bottom line; savoury is good for a desert.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have whatever pudding you like.
The question is, what rise in BS levels are you prepared to live with ?
If a pudding helps keep you happy then you may just have to accept the rise in BS .
Have you tried alternating pudding nights ? One on, one off ?
Not a pudding eater myself but can fully understand the need to have that little treat.
It’s a case of finding that magical balance of health and happiness.