What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a very pleasant dawn in the dark and dangerous north - it looks a bit chilly willy outside but I have turned the blast furnace down half a notch to see if the resistance notices.

The wonder wheel of deception and misdirection came in at a Jasper Maskelyne 4.7 this a.m. (45 minutes later and it’s up to 5.6).

I have just finished my latest book, Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. The title is taken from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who once said, “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” It’s a novel about power and racism set around the death of a baby. As the author points out in her notes, “When I was researching this book, I asked white mothers how often they talked about racism with their children. Some said occasionally; some admitted they never discussed it. When I asked the same question of Black mothers, they all said, Every day. I’ve come to see that ignorance is a privilege, too.”

My new book is called Nation - a philosophical yet humorous romp through the mind of the late Sir Terry Pratchet (or so the review notes state).

Not a great deal on the family calendar of shared wishes for this weekend but grandchildren of differing age brackets and walking skills will be involved.

Have a wonderful weekend if you can. “Health is not a state we owe the world. We are not less valuable, worthy, or lovable because we are not healthy. Lastly, there is no standard of health that is achievable for all bodies.”
― Sonya Renee Taylor, The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been a while since I've had a bout of acid reflux, but I did last night and this morning it shows in a score of 6.4

Perhaps I'm just excited because her ladyship is orf out of the country tomorrow ;)

I have two celebrations today... Happy Year of the Rat to you all from the Tibetan side of my family, and happy Burns Night from the Scottish side. I will be indulging in the haggis (and Talisker) this evening. My cousin in Aberdeen kindly sent a freshly trapped haggis which I need to dispatch later :)

Enjoy the weekend

2020.png

Reactions: DJC3

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good morning everyone from a very pleasant dawn in the dark and dangerous north - it looks a bit chilly willy outside but I have turned the blast furnace down half a notch to see if the resistance notices.

I have just finished my latest book, Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. The title is taken from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who once said, “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” It’s a novel about power and racism set around the death of a baby. As the author points out in her notes, “When I was researching this book, I asked white mothers how often they talked about racism with their children. Some said occasionally; some admitted they never discussed it. When I asked the same question of Black mothers, they all said, Every day. I’ve come to see that ignorance is a privilege, too.”

My new book is called Nation - a philosophical yet humorous romp through the mind of the late Sir Terry Pratchet (or so the review notes state).

Have a wonderful weekend if you can. “Health is not a state we owe the world. We are not less valuable, worthy, or lovable because we are not healthy. Lastly, there is no standard of health that is achievable for all bodies.”
― Sonya Renee Taylor, The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love.

Morening o biker of the norf

Your posting is a bit phylliso phillSofia, 8/3pie r raised to power of 3, or however you spell the word philosophical four me this early in the decade.
Have a great day.
Yours a soft pampered illiterate southerner from down sarf.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who ate of the fatted dead sheep late last night.

A 7.3 for me and me's on the lieing meter this morning, then if one consumes fatty meat late at night, when one's body has difficulty processing fats one must expect readings of this type.

Well folks have a great day, remember make the most of it otherwise your today might be confiscated by the evil lord Time who waits for known gender.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby is a jeweller, heard this many times. Static. You probably have too much. I get shocks when I touch certain things. But I dont have the special power to stop watches ;-)

You mean I’m electric!
I go through phases of getting shocks too, if I’m in a phase I have to ‘earth’ myself before even getting out of the car. Odd isn’t it?

Reactions: jjraak and dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning and a 5.9 today.

@gennepher good painting like the atmosphere you have captured. As well as a calendar maybe we should encourage @jjraak to write a science fiction or mythical book and you could illustrate it.

@ianpspurs you now have me wondering if I should join you on the haggis shoot and serve some at tonight's jam session. We have a huge piece of beef and a ham to cook but maybe haggis should be on the table also.

Lots to do as Mrs MC likes the house spik and span for the jam sessions.

Enjoy the day.

Now, that would be interesting...

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

shopping and hopefully lunch out today ;)

yesterday we managed to start doing some chopping up for disposal of some extremely thorny bits of tree, it was something that had grown from a random seedling over many years and which had got much too big to prune effectively ourselves.
Our neighbour got a new chainsaw and has been offering all the neighbours round about help with chopping and lopping straggly and dead looking tree bits :hilarious:

so, we asked him to take it down, result is a big mess of prickly branches and twigs. Branches can be dealt with, in many ways, more easily than the small thorny bits. The thorns are needle sharp and up to about 2 inches long, it has very effective defences ;)

It was/is a 'Sea Buckthorn' , pretty orange berries -very sour:sorry: (and yes I tried one :hilarious:), which are harvested in some places as a source of vitamin C, fatty acids and other good stuff. But it can be invasive as it grows readily from the berries and the roots 'run'. What remains will probably regrow from the stump and there are a couple of seedlings elsewhere in our 'so called' garden so we can decide later which to allow to stay and we'll be able to prune to keep things reasonable.

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morening o biker of the norf

Your posting is a bit phylliso phillSofia, 8/3pie r raised to power of 3, or however you spell the word philosophical four me this early in the decade.
Have a great day.
Yours a soft pampered illiterate southerner from down sarf.

Ah! 4/3 pie r raised to the power of 3 = the volume of a sphere so I guess that 8/3 pie r raised to the power of 3 can be summed up in a single word that can be shortened to balls - would these be the nice shiny jingle Chinese ones to celebrate the year of the rat. xīn nián kuài lè.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You mean I’m electric!
I go through phases of getting shocks too, if I’m in a phase I have to ‘earth’ myself before even getting out of the car. Odd isn’t it?

@DJC3 I have problems touching lift buttons (I get a shock and I use my rubber tipped stick or crutches outside and inside the lift to touch the buttons...and get stares...), metal cages holding goods on supermarket shelves etc...and more things too. And I am not supposed to have shocks because of the cochlear implant (and the wires and magnet in my head), although I have a document which tells me the range I can accept before it damages my cochlear implant. But how the heck do I know what that is before I try and lift a tin off the supermarket shelf?

I was trying to lift a tin off a wire grid shelf when I got a very sharp shock. I wanted the blinking tin. I tried again. Another shock. So I went to look for an assistant, and explained. They did come and lift the item for me out of the wire grid shelf, and carried it to the counter for me (the item was only small) but they looked at me as though I was doolally and it was time for them to call the men in white coats on me.

Then I was still unable to lift it off the counter to carry it to the car (because the tin kept shocking me and the guy thought I was crazy each time I pulled my hand back as it gave me a shock) and so I had to ask the assistant to carry it to the car for me because it was still giving me shocks. The assistant ‘knew’ I was definitely ready for the funny farm. I got home, and the tin was fine for me to pick up and get it out of the car to my bungalow.

The way the assistant was looking at me frightened me badly. And I now order all my tins from Amazon now... I have no problem taking any tin out the the cardboard box it comes from Amazon, and I have no problems handling tins or any metal at home.

Some days I am worse than others with this, but I have given up going to the shops for anything that involves metal or tins that I have to directly touch.

I have been like this since I was a child...

It is easier to stay at home and not go out...

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I have problems touching lift buttons (I get a shock and I use my rubber tipped stick or crutches outside and inside the lift to touch the buttons...and get stares...), metal cages holding goods on supermarket shelves etc...and more things too. And I am not supposed to have shocks because of the cochlear implant (and the wires and magnet in my head), although I have a document which tells me the range I can accept before it damages my cochlear implant. But how the heck do I know what that is before I try and lift a tin off the supermarket shelf?

I was trying to lift a tin off a wire grid shelf when I got a very sharp shock. I wanted the blinking tin. I tried again. Another shock. So I went to look for an assistant, and explained. They did come and lift the item for me out of the wire grid shelf, and carried it to the counter for me (the item was only small) but they looked at me as though I was doolally and it was time for them to call the men in white coats on me.

Then I was still unable to lift it off the counter to carry it to the car (because the tin kept shocking me and the guy thought I was crazy each time I pulled my hand back as it gave me a shock) and so I had to ask the assistant to carry it to the car for me because it was still giving me shocks. The assistant ‘knew’ I was definitely ready for the funny farm. I got home, and the tin was fine for me to pick up and get it out of the car to my bungalow.

The way the assistant was looking at me frightened me badly. And I now order all my tins from Amazon now... I have no problem taking any tin out the the cardboard box it comes from Amazon, and I have no problems handling tins or any metal at home.

Some days I am worse than others with this, but I have given up going to the shops for anything that involves metal or tins that I have to directly touch.

I have been like this since I was a child...

It is easier to stay at home and not go out...
Tribal electric shock due to build up of electrons, some people use the back of their hand or a metal object like a key to discharge them before touching metal - explanation and some interesting tips here:

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today, I seem to be on the rise just as you come down again @PenguinMum . Great fbg today to you and @ianpspurs
@MuddyCyclist I lived your cow parsley and the account of your auntie’s funeral, a difficult day but I hope this evening is a lot of fun in your spotless house. I also think the cat poem is more applicable to the dogs I’ve known.
@gennepher loved your picture today again.
Cold and damp here Dennis is champing to get out, I’m trying to make my coffee last but can’t put it off forever. Today a lot of family will be round and GC coming for a sleepover.
As I look out the kitchen window I can see loads of bullfinches sitting one apiece on the tall dried grass stalks in the field behind us, such pretty birds. Wish I’d joined in the RSPB garden bird watch this weekend.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tribal electric shock due to build up of electrons, some people use the back of their hand or a metal object like a key to discharge them before touching metal - explanation and some interesting tips here:
Thanks @dunelm
Had a read of her subtitles.
I wear 100% cotton anyway, I cannot wear artificial fibres at all.
I will have research those words better...'Tribal electric shock'.
I didn't get very far when I researched electric shocks to self some years ago.

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i think all meters can be out by a bit and a good bit to boot, @PenguinMum
you probably already know this if ever you retested a moment later or used a different finger even.to check

i fear if your looking for 100% accuracy each time you may sadly just drive yourself crazy.:wacky:
i doubt the two will ever agree, if what i read is correct.

i honestly just look for a trend..so out a bit now, but up a bit later, as long as it's all in a reasonable line
for most things it's fine for me.

obv if i get an 8 or more :woot::***:, then i do investigate the cause..A lovely Indian Dosa was my most recent Miscalculation...nice as it was..

best wishes it all settles down for you..x

Apologies for quoting my own quote, just felt it might make sense of this one.

test this Am on waking 11 am................(yeah i KNOW..don't judge me..:woot:)

and i was day 3 in McGarrett plains at 5.8...

and just to prove i wasn't talking out of my hat, i tested another finger almost immediately
and got 6.0..

not much difference but does show me , that the trend is the high fives, so no worries there,
but even done moments later the blood score can and does change.

and might i say a nice score this morning for you..:D
new meter certainly playing nice, ..( must be treating this one well..;) )

and @ianpspurs , grab those shorts and slip off those crocs....surfs up Dude..:D

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a very late night again must stop watching those box sets...hadn't noticed the time so off to bed at 4am...up at 11am the day is almost done...managed a decent sleep will spring into action soon I hope maybe another coffee will do it...where to start this morning?...forgot to test as soon as I was up no point now been up half an hour...wish the kits would slow down a touch...they're on full speed after a hearty breakfast/brunch

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a very late night again must stop watching those box sets...hadn't noticed the time so off to bed at 4am...up at 11am the day is almost done...managed a decent sleep will spring into action soon I hope maybe another coffee will do it...where to start this morning?...forgot to test as soon as I was up no point now been up half an hour...wish the kits would slow down a touch...they're on full speed after a hearty breakfast/brunch

11 am...tut tut...:wideyed:

still who am i to judge anyone..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

mmhh if i forget ..i still test when i remember too

i quite like the line of data that says each days early morning scores.

yes i know it's not that RAW blood score as DP and coffees etc are now swirling around
but i think it just steadies me for the day, knowing, that as early in the day as possible i knew it was in range..even if it isn't actually a fasting blood test..for me anyway.
but i can see why you might not bother.

re KK's..i do picture a lovely scene with them dashing around the house each time you post, snooping and inquiring into places they have NO business being..but i also sympathies re the krazyness of it all, as they dart here and there.

we still have Marley using us as a guest house.

NO walk to the kitchen when he is in is ever possible at a fast pace as he aspires to be like the cat from every cat food tv advert EVER. as he entwines himself between our legs, EACH step of the way ..but the affection when he lies on us, and does that patting the face with his paws...aaww

so i kinda hope they slow..a LITTLE bit..be sad to lose the Magic of that Kitten Curiosity too soon..:happy:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak Thanks for that mensh. I would feel much safer with this as the consistent signal (and to be honest I never watched Hawaii 5 0 ?) but I am a work in progress coming back from injury.

giphy.gif

Last edited: