What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just a quick message I am going to be away for the next few weeks. I have pnemonia on right lung and an impacted bowel. Plus a pulled chest muscle shoulder. No wonder my blood sugars have been off, just need to recover and focus on myself.

Oh you poor thing. Big gentle hug coming to you from chilly Yorkshire. Take good care of yourself. x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
456EB4A1-8044-45D1-8F53-14254164FD49.jpeg D5A73989-F97C-4C40-970D-6488700DDC79.jpeg https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-raspberry-cheesecake-swirl-brownies
Had to report on this successful experiment. Made the 12 brownie quantities with a 2pound loaf tin lined and used powdered eyrithritol in both the brownie mix and the cheesecake _ they use granulated in brownies. Oh and I just tasted some and because of lemon juice and raspberries and choc we both felt it tasted delicious not too sweet great balance. Some will be made later this week for family gathering I’m planning this was a try out. A fair few bowls involved but we feel worth it! Report rest of food later!
Edit forgot to add I defrosted my raspberries as still have ones in freezer from last summers crop so they probably made the cheesecake pinker than if use their suggestion of fresh raspberries. Frozen also easier re quantities for our way of eating a punnet of fresh may be too tempting for me!

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 38109 View attachment 38110 https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-raspberry-cheesecake-swirl-brownies
Had to report on this successful experiment. Made the 12 brownie quantities with a 2pound loaf tin lined and used powdered eyrithritol in both the brownie mix and the cheesecake _ they use granulated in brownies. Oh and I just tasted some and because of lemon juice and raspberries and choc we both felt it tasted delicious not too sweet great balance. Some will be made later this week for family gathering I’m planning this was a try out. A fair few bowls involved but we feel worth it! Report rest of food later!
Oh I made something similar to this @shelley262 , and it didn't look half as good as yours. Think I'll have a go at this one!

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick message I am going to be away for the next few weeks. I have pnemonia on right lung and an impacted bowel. Plus a pulled chest muscle shoulder. No wonder my blood sugars have been off, just need to recover and focus on myself.
So sorry you must feel rotten. So unlucky to have three nasty things at the same time. I hope you recover well and soon. Take care.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb sorry to hear you are so under the weather and hope you can have a quiet day at home tomorrow and feel better soon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Inexplicably hungry during morning meat shop at Morrison’s so bought a rotisserie chicken thigh to eat in the cafe for brunch. Followed up once home with a few slices of a Polish sausage bought in store, a small piece of leftover carni stuffing and some delicious crunchy Red Leicester cheese from Lidl.

Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib.

Morrison’s meat shop was my first there. Very impressed. No idea there was a rotisserie section and a very wide selection of meat, fish and cheese including a lot of offal. Bought some lamb heart as my quest to find offal that I like continues - saw a delicious looking plate of it on Twitter which inspired me. Will try tomorrow.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I had no idea about it. I lived near London and it was ok I guess. I did not like the wait with NHS and I was pretty healthy then. Sigh !

I am not in U.K. anymore, I live in San Francisco (far from down town ). So we get lots of good doctors. Problem is with famous ones the waiting times is too long.

I can imagine if you need referrals , that is too much headache plus traveling to mainland . It’s hassle , I agree. I guess it’s the price of a beautiful peaceful town and clean weather and less traffic .

I am going to take a vacation with bf next yr in U.K. and bf is from Scotland So I will update my NHS knowledge .

—-
I see my endocrinologist every 2-3 months and my nutritionist every month . I also see a second endocrinologist for a second opinion every time I feel I need , and I see an optometrist every year and a nephrologist every year to checkup my eyes and kidney .
Also I have a few doctors in the family ( above specialities plus more ) so I call them 24 hours a day but they are not in the same city. Still lots of phone consultations every week plus in person visit whenever we meet in family gatherings

I also ignore lots of my nutritionist suggestions. She talks for a full hour every month so I just lean back and day dream about cream puffs . I only can handle 15 min doc visits not a whole hour !
She shoes me plastic models of foods I can eat like I’m a 2 yr old !
Next time I will ask for toy dinosaurs

As a child and teenager I lived in the south of England and mostly medical services (when I didn't really need them) were pretty good on the whole (although when my appendix was abscessed the consultant at the local hospital decided it was just my nerves because I was coming up for my O levels so refused to do anything. My own GP fought time and time again to get me fixed but nothing worked until the consultant went on holiday and his registrar took over. I was in very quickly, promised keyhole surgery and very small scar. It had been left so long and was so scarred, that, to get it out, they had to cut a huge gash and sew it up with about 20 stitches. So even back then not all doctors were as good as they might be. Medics are just human, after all but they lost their god like status with me way back then - I've been pretty cynical for the last 58 years so my expectations are not great. I still get angry at some of the scary stories I hear from friends and family though.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb sorry to hear you are so under the weather and hope you can have a quiet day at home tomorrow and feel better soon.

Thanks for that. I went out and was fine. Loperamide works pretty well. Feeling much more comfortable now. Probably be constipated again for the next few days though - it does have that effect. Not to worry - started eating veg again today, so that should make things easier.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. If Sencha bulletproof tea is breakfast that is what I had - no cream; collected 2 x haggis from Crocodile farm -obvious place really. Took a CWC for the journey home (all 10 mins.) I feel strangely at home in their Eccentric Englishman cafe/coffee shop; Lots more tea then some chicken breast whilst No 1 son not looking (to save grandson from a telling off); More tea (plain Assam); A few Cheesies (because No3 son and granddaughter like them) during the afternoon. Haggis, mashed celeriac and swede with splash of gravy and decent tot of Glenmorangie this evening (4.9 before meal). 18 month old granddaughter likes haggis but having 1/4 Italian blood prefers wine to whisky. Not sure about whiskey - her 1/4 Irish side will probably drink anything eventually.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh crumbs! Poor you, that sounds like a horrible combination. I hope you are soon sorted out and back with us.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First a request - does anyone have a good recipe for pheasant which doesn’t involve wine or any sort of alcohol? ( our neighbour who has gun dogs gave us a brace today, they are hanging in the garage atm. I don’t cook with any sort of booze as one of our number doesn’t drink)
Today I had
B: black coffee
L: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pizza-omelet this seemed like a lot of faff for basically a cheese omelette but everyone loved it. Granddaughters had leftovers for tea
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-brussel-sprout-hamburger-gratin/servings/5 Ok but probably won’t do it again. Mr C refused to eat it as it contained sprouts. He got quite animated about his hatred of these innocuous little things. He had a portion of chicken leftover from yesterday so now I have a ton of this mince/ sprout/ bacon thing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
First a request - does anyone have a good recipe for pheasant which doesn’t involve wine or any sort of alcohol? ( our neighbour who has gun dogs gave us a brace today, they are hanging in the garage atm. I don’t cook with any sort of booze as one of our number doesn’t drink)
Today I had
L: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pizza-omelet this seemed like a lot of faff for basically a cheese omelette but everyone loved it. Granddaughters had leftovers for tea
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-brussel-sprout-hamburger-gratin/servings/5 Ok but probably won’t do it again. Mr C refused to eat it as it contained sprouts. He got quite animated about his hatred of these innocuous little things. He had a portion of chicken leftover from yesterday so now I have a ton of this mince/ sprout/ bacon thing.
https://maddogtvdinners.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/pheasant-with-stilton-sauce/ any good? My dad regularly found a brace of pheasants hanging on the back door from the owner of the shooting land opposite. Stilton and pheasant soup is quite spiffing as well. Some of these may also help https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/8404-pheasant-recipes/ but now we are on the Bowmore I may just have the wrong set of recipes.:angelic:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Three egg, cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.
Lunch: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Beef snags and veggies, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Big fundraiser day as it's the Australia Day competition at the bowls club, all proceeds go to the Rural Fire Brigades in the local area.

Plenty of steaks, chops, snags and fried onions on the barbeque.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://maddogtvdinners.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/pheasant-with-stilton-sauce/ any good? My dad regularly found a brace of pheasants hanging on the back door from the owner of the shooting land opposite. Stilton and pheasant soup is quite spiffing as well. Some of these may also help https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/8404-pheasant-recipes/ but now we are on the Bowmore I may just have the wrong set of recipes.:angelic:

I like the sound of the Stilton sauce, it does have wine in but I guess I could just replace with chicken broth. Thanks for these.
We also used to often find pheasants and rabbits on our doorstep in Iver. Scared the life out of the girls on occasion when they were little. (It was a gamekeeper friend of Mr C dropped them off)
Enjoy that Bowmore in the bosom of your family, may you have many more such warm and wonderful evenings.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the sound of the Stilton sauce, it does have wine in but I guess I could just replace with chicken broth. Thanks for these.
We also used to often find pheasants and rabbits on our doorstep in Iver. Scared the life out of the girls on occasion when they were little. (It was a gamekeeper friend of Mr C dropped them off)
Enjoy that Bowmore in the bosom of your family, may you have many more such warm and wonderful evenings.
Thank you. Julie says warm and wonderful as my family's bosoms undoubtedly are they are the subject of an entirely different board and 6.1 after Haggis ain't any cause to be enjoying:angelic: I may need to mosey on along the malt alley now to steady the nerves.:) You've driven me to Glen Marnoch now. Goodness only knows where this will all end - if it gets to the Walnut Liquer from Domme we are in big trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and a teaspoon of beans
Lunch one lc cheese scone with home cooked ham and mustard
Mid pm lc raspberry choc brownie with spoon of yog (2g of carb per small portion)
Dinner chicken curry with a chaffle and glass of gin and soda water followed by another small portion of the brownie pudding - yum looks like will be a regular pudding for several days as cooked 12 portions! Does not taste low carb though and OH agrees so at least will join me in eating it up over next week!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I had
I've always preferred a creamy sauce with pheasant. My sister always did a heavy red wine sauce which I found too strong. This one has cider in it but you could leave it out and add more chicken stock.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pot-roast-pheasant-cider-bacon

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t know that but it sounds gorgeous.
No one has ever wanted or managed two. A bottle certainly lasts some time;) On message, currently trying the very niche Bishop Cropwell and single malt diet watching cricket highlights - tough life but rude to complain.

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 22.07.13.png

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only