Type 2 Eating out in London

TardisDee

Background: Am a newly diagnosed diabetic, I am getting a handle on eating fairly low carb. I haven’t gone keto but manage to stick to about 80g per day. Have lost just over a stone in 5 weeks and testing shows my average bg to be dropping.

We have a few days away booked bed and breakfast in a hotel in London (kensington). We plan to visit lot of museums and other attractions in central London and have a theatre trip booked.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fairly inexpensive restaurants that will make it fairly easy to stock to lowish carbs? I suspect I will be eating a lot of steak and salad!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Kensington? Well depending on the type of restaurant you want, Westfield shopping centre with it's large food hall is not far away. There is at least one restaurant inside advertising low carb options. Plenty of restaurants on the outside as well on the way to Shepherds Bush underground station.

Reactions: TardisDee

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Background: Am a newly diagnosed diabetic, I am getting a handle on eating fairly low carb. I haven’t gone keto but manage to stick to about 80g per day. Have lost just over a stone in 5 weeks and testing shows my average bg to be dropping.

We have a few days away booked bed and breakfast in a hotel in London (kensington). We plan to visit lot of museums and other attractions in central London and have a theatre trip booked.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fairly inexpensive restaurants that will make it fairly easy to stock to lowish carbs? I suspect I will be eating a lot of steak and salad!

loads of restaurants...but most likely pricey, if west end, though china town can be cheap.
Wong kei my recommendation but you'd have to do research first as to what spikes you or not.

we have Duck noodle soup..(yeah, i don't eat all the noodle and the duck fat seems to limit the spike for me.)
along with spare ribs with salt and chilli with a side of Chinese green vegetables..might make a nice change from steaks and salads..(*5 floors of restaurant and may be very busy..large shared tables are not to everyones taste..but food IS good and cheap)

However If you really want to just spend a day mooching about, pre or post museums,eating, though westfield is a good choice, might i suggest Chiswick for an afternoon or evening

district line to Turnham green, head for the high road, loads of Restaurants and all a lot more villagey then central London..

a slight note..if it's a holiday, i try to be good, but not spoil the mood by relaxing what i do eat.

at home i am pretty stable with foods, so i think a few days being more lax is better for me, then to spoil what should be a nice few days away, by being too hard on myself and partner.

sure others may have a different view, but it's life and we should enjoy the moments we can, when we can
THEN go back to the day job or keeping everything in check..imho

i hope you enjoy your trip however you decide to spend it, food wise.:)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nando’s, Five Guys are my go-tos for a quick bite. Five Guys offer burgers without buns - you can choose a lettuce wrap or bowl in its place. Plenty of branches of both. Most restaurants will be happy to remove potatoes/bread etc and replace with extra veg or something else more suitable. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for what you want.

Reactions: TardisDee

TardisDee

Kensington? Well depending on the type of restaurant you want, Westfield shopping centre with it's large food hall is not far away. There is at least one restaurant inside advertising low carb options. Plenty of restaurants on the outside as well on the way to Shepherds Bush underground station.
Westfield sounds good. Only staying in Kensington as it was a good deal and close to things we want to visit.

TardisDee

loads of restaurants...but most likely pricey, if west end, though china town can be cheap.
Wong kei my recommendation but you'd have to do research first as to what spikes you or not.

we have Duck noodle soup..(yeah, i don't eat all the noodle and the duck fat seems to limit the spike for me.)
along with spare ribs with salt and chilli with a side of Chinese green vegetables..might make a nice change from steaks and salads..(*5 floors of restaurant and may be very busy..large shared tables are not to everyones taste..but food IS good and cheap)

However If you really want to just spend a day mooching about, pre or post museums,eating, though westfield is a good choice, might i suggest Chiswick for an afternoon or evening

district line to Turnham green, head for the high road, loads of Restaurants and all a lot more villagey then central London..

a slight note..if it's a holiday, i try to be good, but not spoil the mood by relaxing what i do eat.

at home i am pretty stable with foods, so i think a few days being more lax is better for me, then to spoil what should be a nice few days away, by being too hard on myself and partner.

sure others may have a different view, but it's life and we should enjoy the moments we can, when we can
THEN go back to the day job or keeping everything in check..imho

i hope you enjoy your trip however you decide to spend it, food wise.:)
Wong Kei sounds lovely. And yes holiday so not going to be too strict. It’s not like I had any symptoms pre diagnosis so no worries about Hypos etc.

TardisDee

Nando’s, Five Guys are my go-tos for a quick bite. Five Guys offer burgers without buns - you can choose a lettuce wrap or bowl in its place. Plenty of branches of both. Most restaurants will be happy to remove potatoes/bread etc and replace with extra veg or something else more suitable. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for what you want.
Nandos, I hadn’t though of that. Vegetarian husband likes that too.

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost everywhere has low carb options
Burgers (ask for salad and no bun, no chips)
Steaks (ask for chips to be replaced with salad)
Curries (avoid sweet fruity ones and go for dry curries instead, no bread or rice)

the choices are almost infinite.

In your place, the only places I would avoid would be iffy food stands, posh afternoon teas and sushi.
Just about everywhere else I could make excellent LC choices from their standard menu.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza Hut does a chicken breast plain or with cheese and pepperoni. Comes with chips and corn but I pass those on to my kids. You of course get the salad bar too. It’s cheap. Bills, Ask it those chains are all over London. They usually have the nutritional details online so you can look before you go.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Pubs are a pretty good bet for reasonable food too.

Reactions: jjraak

mouseee

A hike away, but both Camden market and Borough Market are amazing for lunch. So many options and relatively easy to pick something you want to eat from the range of food stalls.

Reactions: jjraak

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like steak, the basic offering at Flat Iron is cheap. It's a mini-chain across London and one is just around the corner from King's Cross just past Tescos extra (turn right, cross road and then turn left at next rd).
My steak arrived, well cooked to my taste with a tiny bowl of Lambs lettuce. Optional fries not required. Found it a bargain and easy choice for low carb.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Covent Garden, Joa Allen in particular introduced me and my OH to the absolute bliss of slow roasted belly pork. It is a thing to behold. That particular experience was before diagnosis, so no idea what when with it, but I'm positive there'll be options.

There are often lots of luvvies in there, so the people watching can be fun. :)