What pudding can I have?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoever was advising you to eat those fruits is not your friend.
Not only is fruit high carb, the fructose has to be dealt with by the liver, which might already be struggling.
I make sugar free jellies and add yoghurt or cream when it has cooled down to just warm to the touch, then whisk it so it sets frothy. I sometimes add frozen berries to make it set faster.
A bit of preparation means that you know what you are eating.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the topic is fruit then strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are lower carb. I buy the big bags of frozen “forest fruits” which is an assortment of those fruits. And eat with double cream and / or full fat greek yoghourt. No added sweetner.

D

Deleted member 308541

If I eat a dessert after lunch or dinner, it's usually full fat greek yoghurt with either ½ a diced mango, or ½ a diced pitaya, and at the present time it's with the pulp out of a fresh passion fruit.

These have not rocked the carb boat to much, I do not eat desserts when drinking tea or coffee...

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
You can have whatever pudding you like.
The question is, what rise in BS levels are you prepared to live with ?
If a pudding helps keep you happy then you may just have to accept the rise in BS .
Have you tried alternating pudding nights ? One on, one off ?
Not a pudding eater myself but can fully understand the need to have that little treat.
It’s a case of finding that magical balance of health and happiness.

I have a tiny portion of whatever I’ve made for my husband, with double cream. I’m type 2, and my glucose doesn’t spike too high. It stops me from feeling too deprived. When on holiday I might ask for one small scoop of ice cream. One chef refused once though, and would only send out three scoops. The waitress said he was embarrassed to send out such a small portion!
I also like Greek Yogurt with a small sprinkling of granola.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try to wean yourself off : sweet :" pudding maybe gradually by lowering the fruit content I make surprise pudding melt some dark chocolate in the bottom of a sundae type dish spoon warmed raspberries or strawberries on top and then top with whipped double cream you can put a sprig of mint or a berry on top to make it look yummy Eye appeal is important for puddings !
Carol

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the Arla Protein pots (Tesco). 5.3g carbs per hundred and 20g protein per pot. Varying flavours.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Fruit Yogurts have been suggested but how high a carb?

Carbohydrate content should be on the container, if you can't see it (I struggle sometimes, print is too small) then Mr Google is always there to help. I use Google a lot, sometimes just to double check what's on the packet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If fruit yoghurts were just fruit and yoghurt then they'd be fine, but I used to work for Allied Lyons, and we made yogfruit - starch to thicken and sugar to sweeten, and some fruit - and colouring too.
Far better to start off with the yoghurt and the fruit separate and unadulterated, mix to your taste.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrate content should be on the container, if you can't see it (I struggle sometimes, print is too small) then Mr Google is always there to help. I use Google a lot, sometimes just to double check what's on the packet.
Take a picture with your phone of the nutrition label then zoom in for a quick enlarger facility. Very handy when there dodgy signal and quicker I find.

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones

mouseee

Frozen berries are really cheap. I buy the big bags of red berries. I'd have some of those in some Greek Yogurt. I love both from Aldi and really cheap.

Reactions: Barb McD

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jelly!! It's red, not sure what flavour, it doesn't matter, it feels like I'm joining in.
On top, extra-thick cream. 2 quennells per serving. Quenelles note - fine dining!
(Mind you I've had to knock cream and peanuts on the head for a spell due to weight gain)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very under ripe banana's might not splike your BS but don't taste great, Aldi 70% cocoa dark chocolate doesn't spike my BS but its no sweet, my wife hates it & she is a dark chocolate lover.
I generally stay off fruit except for breakfast with a teaspoonful of stewed plums, banana flavour with chocolate flakes muller corners aren't too bad.
Cheese for pud can be boring but its ok as long as you don't have high cholestrol.
Banana is fairly high carb regardless even if under ripe, plums a bit better but most here don’t eat them either. We just stick to a few berries. Muller corners are too high carb too for me and others. Full fat Greek yoghurt and add the berries is much better.

Cholesterol is barely affected by eating cheese or fats (it is by eating carbs though!) and probably isn’t the issue they thought it was but that’s another issue.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just did a quick check but the carb count of the Lidl full fat Greek Style yoghurt seems lower than the Sainsbury one - have I got the wrong one?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don't know myself about banana's, only what i've been told, I only eat them 40 or 50 miles into a ride.
I have plums every day, nomally with Sainsbury Basic Swiss muesli & Sainsbury Greek Yoghurt, at the moment trying Lidle Greek Yoghurt but that appears to have a lot more sugar in it. Muller banana flavour corners with choc flakes have little effect on me but my daily step target is 5000 which I exceed most days, even if I'm on office work its 2500/3000 steps.
I guess we are all different, in our response to this disease & our reaction to it !
Have you tested the plums, corners and the muesli against a meter? More than once at varying times after eating them? You’re right we are all different and some get lucky on some items but too often we see people thinking foods are ok which when tested actually really aren’t.

Exercise will bring numbers down a bit but they’d be even better with lower carb options perhaps. and what happens if you can’t exercise for some reason?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can tolerate a bit of easy baking, I have just discovered the delights of keto cookies. They are essentially almond flour, zero carb sweetener of choice, melted butter and a bit of vanilla extract, mixed together, squished out into 8 or 9 little patties and baked for around 10 mins. They are really nice.

However.... they are loaded with calories and I try not to eat too much sweetener, so I strictly ration them and keep only one or two at hand, the rest in the freezer. But they hit the spot when only something sweet and apparently ‘carby’ will do! I find that one (or possibly two little ones) do not affect my BG.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a coffeeholic; love anything coffee, the stronger the better. I buy Greek yoghurt and mix in some (well, quite a lot but I think that would be too strong for most people!) Camp coffee, yummy if you like coffee.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
https://groceries.asda.com/shelf/chilled-food/yogurts-desserts/yogurts-fromage-frais/high-in-protein/111751?facets=shelf:111751:0000&sortBy=sku.brandbank.sugar|0&page=0

If you change the order so that they go from lowest sugar to highest sugar content you can pick the low sugar ones! Some are a bit high but the ones I tend to go for are the plain fat free ones or the ones made by Arla and Lindahl! I add flavour drops from myprotein if I use the plain yog to give it flavour - a bottle is about £3 and lasts months!!! X

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, several times with a Libre sensor & phone app so theres little need to test at varying times because its logged (bit like Data Logging in a race car, lots of meaningful results) with Sainsbury Greek yoghurt it bumps my FBG from an average of 5.5/6 to 8.5ish 2hrs later, rarely 9, with Lidl it always above 10, back Sainsbury tonight.
the coners dont have any real effect however most fruit does so I havent tried a fruit coner, whats the point.
I manage 68% of my life in target 5.2 -8.0, 26%% above target, 1% in the 13.3 range which is far too high but I'm still learning about foods since I had the Libre on the 9th Jan & 5% under target
i cam off my bike big style on the 7th Jan so havent ridden since except for 15mins on exercise bike which was enough.
I'm very lucky I have an active job, 55 / 60 hrs a week most weeks which is better than the 80 hrs a week 3 years ago and the 100 to 110 hrs a week (sometimes 135) when I was diagnosed in 2005.
I have no intention of ever carb or calorie counting, we would need to retire to carb count homemade food as it just takes hrs which I / we don't have.
If I put on weight I just eat less then ride further & harder, nurse & doctor know this.

I don't calorie count. I was too thin after my hip replacements (went down to 6 and a half stone) and am now back up to my correct weight of 8 stone. My glucose is too hogh unless I eat hust non starchy veg and meat/cheese/eggs. I was told I was probably diabetic for 8+ years without knowing and it has been a struggle! However, I think my levels come down quicker than they used to and don't go as high so I am going to try a few 24 hour fasts. I have been doing just breakfast and lunch most days so hopefully every second or third day fasting for 24 hours will help. Wish me luck; it is difficult as my husband eats all the things I can't in front of me.