The wheels came off today, but ...

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I've redoubled my low carbing efforts since Xmas to try to get my FBG down a bit. But today the wheels came off :-(

I had 3 staffordshire oatcakes with cheese for brunch, veg soup (potato, sweet potato, swede, carrot) and breadroll for an afternoon snack, then went to the pub on the way home having pate & bread with cheesy chips and 2 pints of beer for dinner.

Having got home, I gloomily got the meter out expecting to see something in the 8's, 9's or even 10 and got a 4.8 instead - my lowest reading ever !

I just don't know what to make of that ?

Reactions: Daphne917

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
My advice is to always test again if you get a result that is unexpectedly high or low. If I ate that lot my BG would be above 10. I diet carefully and my last HBA1c was 39 (53 at diagnosis 2 years ago).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I respond fairly normally to eating carbs these days - unfortunately for me, normally is to put on weight hand over fist.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Did you consume alcohol? If so that would delay the processing of all those Carbs.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My advice is to always test again if you get a result that is unexpectedly high or low. If I ate that lot my BG would be above 10. I diet carefully and my last HBA1c was 39 (53 at diagnosis 2 years ago).
I did - much the same.. And I forgot to mention the chocolate !

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
OK, the carbs in the beer add to total carbs, but the effect of the alcohol is still to slow the response down!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively it’s not unheard of to have a one off overreaction on the insulin front after being low carb. A couple of times I’ve overdone something (not quite as spectacularly as you did today though) expected a high reading and got a low one. It’s not to be relied on! It’s a freak occurrence and still disregulation. Mostly though if I eat the carbs it still shows in the readings.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Timing the blood test is important too of course. Some peoples BG spikes an hour after eating, other two hours or more after the first bite. Test too early after a meal and you can kid yourself into thin king that the carbs have had no effect.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've redoubled my low carbing efforts since Xmas to try to get my FBG down a bit. But today the wheels came off :-(

I had 3 staffordshire oatcakes with cheese for brunch, veg soup (potato, sweet potato, swede, carrot) and breadroll for an afternoon snack, then went to the pub on the way home having pate & bread with cheesy chips and 2 pints of beer for dinner.

Having got home, I gloomily got the meter out expecting to see something in the 8's, 9's or even 10 and got a 4.8 instead - my lowest reading ever !

I just don't know what to make of that ?

Me neither but it sounds like the perfect day. :)

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Timing the blood test is important too of course. Some peoples BG spikes an hour after eating, other two hours or more after the first bite. Test too early after a meal and you can kid yourself into thin king that the carbs have had no effect.
This was a 2 hour test. I often do a test at 1 hour and again at 2 hour to see if I am having any severe spikes. I always do this after new food combinations.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This was a 2 hour test. I often do a test at 1 hour and again at 2 hour to see if I am having any severe spikes. I always do this after new food combinations.
I tend to do the same - if I’m still rising after 2 hours I’ll check at the 3 hour mark to see if it’s on its way down

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
As for the beer - I hope you enjoyed it. I have been known to wander up to the local in the next village. Sadly the walk there and back has never offset the liquid carb intake. But I meet friends, get fresh air and try not to look at 8+ reading on the meter. Once a month is acceptable for me and on Monday I get back on track.
It's all a question of balance. (Fill in your own punchline!)

Reactions: Barb McD