Type 2 and sport more especially Archery!

Rufous

I have been diagnosed type 2 for over a year now and have managed to loose weight

Sugars are mostly under control and I am reducing metformin with doctors advice to help with crashing during competitions

Nothing has helped thus far so plugging a libre patch to see what’s going on real time

This morning I tried a hearty breakfast with pushed me high before the tournament started as noon, I can tell my sugars are falling by the effect on vision and had an apple about 1:30 and half a biscuit around 2:30

I need to find a way to stabilise sugars through a tournament

Any advice appreciated

IMG_2248.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rufous

can you just confirm what meds you are on? You mention Metformin, but are there any others?

Also:
- do your graph readings accurately depict your blood glucose levels? (Is the Libre reading high? Or low? Or spot on?
- what are your normal (non competitive) readings during the morning and early afternoon?
- what do you normally eat for breakfast on non-competitive days?
- what did you eat for breakfast before your competition?

sorry about the 3rd degree, but all that info will help people make suggestions.

Rufous

I understand but didn’t want to kill the question with too much information

I was on 250mg twice a day until Dec when at review the doctors suggested I step down to one tab in an evening as I was dipping in the afternoon

The libre is maybe reading around 1mmol against finger prick but not sure if that’s lust a lag

No comp days I usually wake around 5.5 - 5.9 and have a breakfast of shredded wheat or porridge

This morning I tried to load with shredded wheat as normal but followed by double sausage and egg sandwich

I have lost over two stone since diagnosis and mostly try and stick to low carbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. :)

I would say that as a T2 on only Metformin you are expremely unlikely to dip into a hypo under any circumstances - even a competition and the stress and physical exertion that go with it. Have you ever been below 4 whilst experiencing hypo symptoms? If you have, I am sure your doc would be stopping the Metformin completely. Being in the 4s and 5s is fab, and no cause for concern unless you are on strong glucose lowering drugs like insulin or gliclazide.

your normal morning bg readings of 5.5-5.9 are fab. What happens after the meal? Adding shredded wheat or porridge every morning may be raising your bg above good levels on a daily basis. You would have to test a few days and see what happens.

These are the NHS recommended levels after food. I aim for lower after food, since the NHS expects T2 to be a progressive condition, but that progression is largely caused by the kind of levels that they think are OK. So I aim lower and hope to avoid that ‘inevitable’ progression.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
Target Levels
by Type
Upon waking
or Before meals / At least 90 minutes after meals
Non-diabetic*
4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L / under 7.8 mmol/L at 90 mins
Type 2 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L / under 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes 5 to 7 mmol/L / 4 to 7 mmol/L

my experience is that levels above around 9 affect my clarity of mind and physical performance. I would be focussing on keeping my bg low and steady during your competition, rather than feeding carbs to push things high.
In your situation I would have performed significantly less well in the competition with the sharp rise from your breakfast carbs, followed by the drop. I would have been delighted to return to the nice low numbers at 2.30pm. Your rise and fall are probably what is causing you flop, not that fact that you went down to 6.

so, in your place I would be avoiding the breakfast carbs like the plague (you had shredded wheat and a sandwich), and instead I would have been filling up on more egg, sausage and bacon. The protein and fat would have given me a lovely long slow release of energy, my brain would have stayed sharp, with longterm stamina. There would be no drop and flop in the afternoon.

I use this technique with all my tests and exams, job interviews and stressful work events.
I avoid carbs, because they cause a bg spike, and that leads to a bg flop, and the flop affects energy levels, stamina and performance. On days where my bg doesn’t rise above 7ish I have significantly more stamina than on days where i take carbs ‘for energy’.
But then I habitually low carb so I am ‘fat adapted’, and find protein and fat better energy sources than burn-and-drop glucose as a fuel.

hope that helps.

Oh, and I haven’t asked - how did the competition go? Hope you did OK? No, actually, I hope you WON :D

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
to help with crashing during competitions
Is the pictured graph a day where you felt you crashed? Because it doesn't show anything under 6, nowhere close to a low.

Can it be you're having 'false hypo's' at lower blood sugars, feeling hypo while still above hypo levels? It's a common thing, when your body has gotten used to higher levels you feel low when still over 4.
When your body gets used to healthier levels again the false hypo's will disappear.

Rufous

Is the pictured graph a day where you felt you crashed? Because it doesn't show anything under 6, nowhere close to a low.

Can it be you're having 'false hypo's' at lower blood sugars, feeling hypo while still above hypo levels? It's a common thing, when your body has gotten used to higher levels you feel low when still over 4.
When your body gets used to healthier levels again the false hypo's will disappear.

This is the first time I have metered sugars... usually start a comp around 10-12 but then have problems in the second half with blurring and loss of focus like last week where I finished at 5.2 after stealing the little ones kitkat

My issue is with peripheral vision changes as I am shooting through a peep sight or for want of a better description, looking through a pin hole

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time I have metered sugars... usually start a comp around 10-12 but then have problems in the second half with blurring and loss of focus like last week where I finished at 5.2 after stealing the little ones kitkat

My issue is with peripheral vision changes as I am shooting through a peep sight or for want of a better description, looking through a pin hole
That sounds like false hypo's really. It's your body overreacting to lower levels than you're used to. The more you make your levels go high by eating kitkats, shredded wheats, bicuits and apples, the longer it will take to get used to normal levels.
Nothing wrong with nudging your bg up just a little if you feel very ill or on the verge of collapsing, but deliberately pushing it up to above 10 won't help.

Blurry eyes happen with changing bg's, that will get better too when your levels get more consistent. Give your body some time to adjust!

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have been diagnosed type 2 for over a year now and have managed to loose weight

Sugars are mostly under control and I am reducing metformin with doctors advice to help with crashing during competitions

Nothing has helped thus far so plugging a libre patch to see what’s going on real time

This morning I tried a hearty breakfast with pushed me high before the tournament started as noon, I can tell my sugars are falling by the effect on vision and had an apple about 1:30 and half a biscuit around 2:30

Any advice appreciated

View attachment 38138
That graph is horrible! - Not the lows, but the spike after eating the carb laden breakfast.
Prof Tim Noakes (a famous South African sports doctor) used to carb load before running marathons until he got Type 2 Diabetes. he then re-examined the science and discovered that although humans need Protein and Fat, we don't actually need Carbs - since we can make as much as we need in our own bodies.
Sports nutrition has evolved such that there are now many long distance athletes who are on a Keto diet.
Even athletes competing in the more explosive events can perform well on a low carb diet so long as their body is 'fat adapted'.
Carbs are a good fuel for explosive events but fat (ketones) are a much better fuel for keeping up the performance level over longer periods.

How have you managed to lose weight?
Since you appear to eat carbohydrates for Breakfast I suspect that you have been trying to restrict Calories. - This is a difficult way for a T2 (with functioning Beta Cells) to lose weight because Insulin which is the fat controlling hormone - so your body can't use up all that huge fuel store of excess body fat when your Insulin is high. And eating carbs and eating frequently (snacks) will ensure that your Insulin only drops while you are sleeping.
For somebody starting out to control blood sugar or weight, I suggest keeping calories around the same (or even increasing a little , I certainly increased total calories because of eating more fat) - just cut Carbs, not Calories until fat adapted. And always eat a decent sized meal so they can go without snacking. When fat adapted, the body doesn't get hungry like it did before because at any time it can access all that extra fuel in the body fat.
At that stage then not eating unless hungry (either skipping a meal , or eating smaller portions) will accelerate the weight loss and remission of T2 D.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that you are reacting to the gradient of the graph - your high carb breakfast pushes your level really high, so when you eventually start to respond to the insulin generated, you go down a ski slope at speed, which has to make you feel bad.
As a type two, meals which provide nourishment but not spikes would probably be a better option.
I eat a meal first thing which is fairly low carb - in summer I had mostly salads with cold meat, fish or other seafood, or boiled eggs and cheese. Now winter is here, steak and mushrooms, or a stirfry and a chop or chicken thighs, and then a cup of coffee with cream sees me right through the day. My levels remain under 7 most of the time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said your levels are quite high, most of the time in fact. (You want to be in the green all the time and down around the 4 to 6 before meals and under 8 two hrs afterwards ideally.) And constantly topping them up means you never get chance to adjust to new better lower levels - which currently feel quite odd as you are simply too accustomed to higher ones. The rapid drops after the spikes in themselves feel rotten rather than where you end up. Eliminate the spike and that itself eliminates the crash.

Whilst holding levels down to a better normal your eyes might struggle a bit. You are used to adjusting them to a glucose drenched solution. Readjustment to lowering that glucose toxicity takes a while (few weeks) to catch up. Long term it could save you a lot of eyesight issues though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any advice appreciated

View attachment 38138

Rufous, I think I would feel a bit rough with that rise then fall in my blood sugars. If I saw that for myself, I'd probably try's having a cooked breakfast of maybe bacon, egg, sausage, leaving the bread and wheat things alone.

I find, personally, on those foods I feel well, fed, and quite steady for a long time. I have never found the need to feed a low, although when first diagnosed I'd sometimes find myself feeling a bit off a short my numbers lowered themselves to become the new normal.