Hba1c from 8.2 to 5.8 in 2 months - Is that possible

ps-star

Hello all,

During a routine blood test - my a1c came out 8.2 - I was advised by my physician to go on medication.
Being diagnosed with type-2 diabetes came to me like a shock - as no one in my family (parent / grand parents etc) had diabetes.
On my request - the doctor agreed to give me 3 months to change my life style.

I have added long brisk walks / cardio to my schedule.
From a diet perspective - no rice / breads / pasta / sweets / .....
Post google search - changed my diet to egg whites and legumes based ( chickpeas salad / black lentils salad etc) - basically a diet of complex carbs and protein. So not really very low on carbs.
My doctor had advised to avoid carbs -but being a veggie - not much options.

22 nd Nov - hba1c was 8.2
In Jan'20 .. the weekly sunday readings that I have taken at home using a1c Now professional -- have been 6.9, 6.4, 6.2, 5.8 ..
Every week - it has gone down. And I have not started any medications .. I do take fish oils / b12 / turmeric ...
I have my regular appt with the doc in a month.

So - couple of questions in mind..

Is it possible - I did not have type 2 - but just a temporary spike in sugar levels ... (for few months before being detected - I was hogging on raisins and dates - while working long hrs at my computer - am in s/w ..)

Or ... Is my reduction in hba1c .. is fluke .. and it could go up ...

Thoughts / Suggestions ..

Thx

--ps

Reactions: Quinn1066

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

During a routine blood test - my a1c came out 8.2 - I was advised by my physician to go on medication.
Being diagnosed with type-2 diabetes came to me like a shock - as no one in my family (parent / grand parents etc) had diabetes.
On my request - the doctor agreed to give me 3 months to change my life style.

I have added long brisk walks / cardio to my schedule.
Post google search - changed my diet to egg whites and legumes based ( chickpeas salad / black lentils salad etc) - basically a diet of complex carbs and protein. So not really very low on carbs.
My doctor had advised to avoid carbs -but being a veggie - not much options.

22 nd Nov - hba1c was 8.2
In Jan'20 .. the weekly sunday readings that I have taken at home using a1c Now professional -- have been 6.9, 6.4, 6.2, 5.8 ..
Every week - it has gone down. And I have not started any medications .. I do take fish oils / b12 / turmeric ...
I have my regular appt with the doc in a month.

So - couple of questions in mind..

Is it possible - I did not have type 2 - but just a temporary spike in sugar levels ... (for few months before being detected - I was hogging on raisins and dates - while working long hrs at my computer - am in s/w ..)

Thoughts / Suggestions ..

Thx

--ps
A HbA1c doesn't just go up for a few months, as it means your body is simply not coping with the amount of carbs in there. If someone else pigs out on dates and raisins their body just pumps out adequate insulin and they'd be sensitive enough to it to remain in the normal range. That didn't happen for you. Now, if you'd been on medication (statins, steroids) it could be that your HbA1c did go up, but if that's not been the case.... The diagnosis pretty much stands. Meaning that you tackled your T2 rather successfully!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbA1c went from 8.5% on diagnosis to 6.2% in two months on meds (Metformin) and diet so yes a drop of that amount is possible if you have made big life style changes. I don’t think your reading of 8.2 is a fluke as @JoKalsbeek says an HbA1c test is an assessment of your blood sugar levels over the period of 12 weeks (the life span of red blood cells). It indicates that your body wasn’t processing sugars and carbs well. If you were non diabetic you would have been ok with the dried fruit.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - just to add another of the same for further evidence, my HBA1C was 87 (10.1%) on diagnosis - in 3 months i got it down to 33 (5.2%).

I'm not cured, i just lost a load of weight which helps me process carbs better and like you significantly reduced my carb intake. Unfortunately this is a life long condition, but it can be a life long condition with a perfectly normal HBA1C.

If i pile the weight back on and or increase my carbs, and or decrease my exercise levels... i will be back where i started.

But truthfully, i have never felt as well and im lucky enough that with my exerciser and weight loss i can still have some carbs and process them well (note some exercise and have weight loss and cant get to this point), i just don't have huge portions and cut out carbs for most meals but not all.

ps-star

Thx JoKalsbeek.
And yes - I did loose 10 lbs (184-->174) in the last 2 months.
As double thx for the hint on steroids .. I was on Humira whole of 2018 - for RA. I did mention this to my doc - he did a look up and said its not because of it. On your mention - I did a quick google search and I see :

Adalimumab May Increase HbA1c Levels in Patients with RA without Diabetes

(site does not allow me to post links.)

Now I have to send this link to my doc and ask him .. Maybe my hbA1c did shoot up in 2018.

Thx

--ps

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have added long brisk walks / cardio to my schedule

Great! Keep this up.

Even a short walk just before or after a meal will activate your muscle to take up more glocose, hence reducing the post meal spike. So don't think you need to save walking for, when you can do long walks.

HIIT when you go full out for a minute or two, then slowly for the next few minutes to recover has been proven to give more benefits then steady state cardio. This could be a simple as going up a set of stairs as fast as you can, or maybe the spin bike or rowing machine in a gym.

Resistance Training is likely to be the best exercise, as it both empties your muscles of glycogen (stored glocose) as well as increases your muscle mass. I like the method in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Science-Research-Strength-Training/dp/0071597174 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Savers-Workout-Revolutionary-Fitness-Optimizes/dp/1510733302 but don't let them put you of walking as well.

If their is a https://fit20.co.uk/ studio near you it is likely to be the best option, but they are not yet common in the UK/USA.

This is likely to be a great improvement in what you were eating before. I would strongly recommend eating the complete egg, as there is no need to advoid natural fat.

Don't overcook the legumes and beans, also don't blend them into to a fine soap, as doing so will increase the post meal BG spike.

Remember most fruit is not healthy for you due to the suger content, fruit joice being worce of all. Be very careful with vegen "milk" products as some of them are very high in carbs.

It is very likely you have more then halved you high GI carb and suger intake and the increased exercise has reduced your inslin resistance, hence your results are much as I would expect from someone with type2.

It is wise to assume you do have type2 and to assume you will return to high BG levels if you don't keep up the chargers you have made. When you have got lab A1c tests below 5.5 (idealy close to 5) for a few years you will truely have beaten type2. But if you every go back to eating lots of raisins and dates, type2 will come back.