Type 1 My daughter high and no amount of novarapid bringing her down - she's going up

Rach85

Hi all,

Really hoping there's someone who can advise.

Currently watching my little one (9), she has been rising since her tea and not come back down. Im not sure if this was incorrect count but I have given her 2 lots of 1.5 units over the last 5 hours and she has still not budged, if anything she is still going up.

She has ketone of 0.4 and is currently sat on 17.4, not being below 7 since yesterday afternoon

Any advice would be amazing x

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just know sometimes nothing seems to work, so you keep taking it, but then all of a sudden it can kick in. So keep lots of hypo treatment available if you give more.

But if you are sick, have an infection, like a tooth infection, the requirements go up. @Diakat and at @Juicyj are type 1's that have kids, but maybe not diabetic kids, but maybe they can direct you how to get help if they come online.

Reactions: Rach85 and Juicyj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Really hoping there's someone who can advise.

Currently watching my little one (9), she has been rising since her tea and not come back down. Im not sure if this was incorrect count but I have given her 2 lots of 1.5 units over the last 5 hours and she has still not budged, if anything she is still going up.

She has ketone of 0.4 and is currently sat on 17.4, not being below 7 since yesterday afternoon

Any advice would be amazing x

Rach, I'm not T1, nor do I have a T1 child, but if your daughters levels are concerning you, then please call 111 where you will receive medical advice. If the operator is unable to help, they can contact a doctor and they will call you back.

I'm not suggesting you necessarily have an emergency on your hands, but better safe than sorry, when it comes to health and wellbeing.

Reactions: Rach85

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rach85 . First thing to consider is ....is your daughter possibly coming down with something? A cold, cough or virus? Have you checked her temperature? Even a common cold will play havoc with BS levels.
If you think she is unwell then this is most likely to be the reason for her current levels.
A call or trip to a GP would still be advisable, just to check everything and maybe rule in or out a cold, cough or whatever.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Rach85 As per the above getting medical advice is important if she continues to run high.

It could be a cold, infection but also change her insulin too, it can go off, please also discuss correction doses when you speak to your team, unfortunately when we go above 12 we hit a wall of insulin resistance and your team can advise about dosing next the circumstances.

Please let us know how she is today ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning @Rach85 how are things now? If daughter's BG is still high, then you could call 111.
Just to add, I have had times like that when BG will not go down with insulin corrections, but then later on it has kicked in. So just keep a eye on her BG, is she drinking fluids and how is she feeling in herself ?
Take care X

Rach85

Hi all,

Thank you soo much for all your replies, she finally was down by Saturday lunchtime and has been pretty normal since. I wasn't aware that the resistance kicks in after 12 so will keep that in mind for future occasions.

She had a nosebleed Friday pm, normal temp but that's normally a sign of a cold on its way. However no sign of anything since. I had taken her downstairs to ensure I did not fall to sleep and as we at mom and dad's while moving house so I was ready to take her to the children's ward if needs be... She slept through only being woken for water, so was blissfully unaware of the evening we had.

Thanks again so much, I was reading but had not got the energy to string a thank you back.

Thanks again, have a wonderful day

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Thank you soo much for all your replies, she finally was down by Saturday lunchtime and has been pretty normal since. I wasn't aware that the resistance kicks in after 12 so will keep that in mind for future occasions.

She had a nosebleed Friday pm, normal temp but that's normally a sign of a cold on its way. However no sign of anything since. I had taken her downstairs to ensure I did not fall to sleep and as we at mom and dad's while moving house so I was ready to take her to the children's ward if needs be... She slept through only being woken for water, so was blissfully unaware of the evening we had.

Thanks again so much, I was reading but had not got the energy to string a thank you back.

Great news, Rach. Thanks for letting us know.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all,

Great news @Rach85 I am so pleased things are more stabilized now :) x