Diagnosed on Friday as having Diabetes

ade2020

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Newly diagnosed as of Friday 23rd when I was sent to hospital due to my blood test results following a 15.9 blood sugar test at my pharmacy. My ketones were 99 so gp phoned the hospital and sent me straight over. I have to wait for a further blood test which should determine the type. I have been put on insulin and have background type 9mg twice a day and other type 6mg.
My ketones are right down 0.2 and my lowest blood was 8.9 earlier today. Last reading before yea 13.3. I am having terrible trouble with the Lancet as not pricking (side) of finger on 1st go and get error on machine. All new to me and expect I will find better Lancets and machines. Basically having a rant as still getting my head around it all. Lost 1kg in a few days as well.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You'll soon get old hat about testing and using insulinif you are a type 1. As soon as you can, start carb counting as that will let you dose per what you want to eat, It will make life easier in the long run.

Sometimes when people first start using a meter they put the testing tip to the blood and the blood goes over the top instead of being sucked in at the edge. It could also be it's not on a strong enough setting. If we are dehydrated it will also make it harder to get a blood drop. If your hands are cold it will make it more difficult too.

It helps sometimes if you massage the finger beforehand and afterwards squeeze from the base of the finger towards the needle prick with other fingers.

Reactions: ade2020

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Newly diagnosed as of Friday 23rd when I was sent to hospital due to my blood test results following a 15.9 blood sugar test at my pharmacy. My ketones were 99 so gp phoned the hospital and sent me straight over. I have to wait for a further blood test which should determine the type. I have been put on insulin and have background type 9mg twice a day and other type 6mg.
My ketones are right down 0.2 and my lowest blood was 8.9 earlier today. Last reading before yea 13.3. I am having terrible trouble with the Lancet as not pricking (side) of finger on 1st go and get error on machine. All new to me and expect I will find better Lancets and machines. Basically having a rant as still getting my head around it all. Lost 1kg in a few days as well.
Ade - I'm sure you've already explored it, but washing y ur hands in worm water can help get a bit more blood easily. If that fails, se if you can turn your lancing device up a notch - just the 1 notch at a time. Some folks skin is tougher than others.

ade2020

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll soon get old hat about testing and using insulinif you are a type 1. As soon as you can, start carb counting as that will let you dose per what you want to eat, It will make life easier in the long run.

Sometimes when people first start using a meter they put the testing tip to the blood and the blood goes over the top instead of being sucked in at the edge. It could also be it's not on a strong enough setting. If we are dehydrated it will also make it harder to get a blood drop. If your hands are cold it will make it more difficult too.

It helps sometimes if you massage the finger beforehand and afterwards squeeze from the base of the finger towards the needle prick with other fingers.
Hello Marie

Thank you for your reply and very useful tips. Tried these methods and its getting better, also ordered one of those Lancet pens with a cartridge of six which should be easier.
Very helpful forum.

Ade