Can you take blood from anywhere?

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the alternative places to take blood for testing levels? Does it matter? I dont think it would. I'd prefer not to take finger pricks all the time.

Im going to ask for a libre but is there any requirements to be issued such a monitor?

Last edited:

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
What are the alternative places to take blood for testing levels? Does it matter? I dont think it would. I dont want to take finger pricks all the time.

Im going to ask for a libre but is there any requirements to be issued such a monitor?
Are you pricking the end of the finger? If so, it will hurt as that is where the most nerve endings are. It's much less sore if you prick the side of the finger adjacent to the nail bed.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, your meter and strips need to be rated for alternative site testing. At least in the US. But even then , you should only use those sites when BG is expected to be steady, and not for insulin dosing.

The Freestyle Lite I use is rated for alternate site testing, and I take fasting on my palm or forearm; I never feel it in either spot.

edited to add: I think the Libre is all about your location and health scheme there. Im in the U.S., I left a voice message asking my doctor to prescribe it, and picked it up at the drugstore the same day. Others say their doctor refused them.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
@Dexterdobe Yes, I do this. It still kinda stings.
@Walking Girl Im in the UK - so nhs.
@Antje77 Im going to try different places and see if the readings differ. The link was helpful. Thanks.
The fact it stings is actually good news as it tells you that your nerve endings haven't been destroyed by diabetic neuropathy