Type 2 Recently diagnosed.

Anniz

Hi, diagnosed type 2 last week. GP has referred me for a retinopathy scan and for a diabetics education course. Received a letter saying that there is a long waiting list for the course and they have referred me to this site in the meantime. This site is great but I'm feeling in limbo as I have had no other advice. I am trying to eat a low carb diet but should I be buying a blood glucose monitor to see what's going on and if so, which one? When do I see my GP again? After the course and retinopathy scan? I'm so confused!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Using a blood testing meter to see how your glucose levels react to various foods is perhaps the most essential first step - by the time you get any response from GP or 'education' for diabetes you might well have become a former diabetic - in that your Hba1c will have reduced below the diagnostic level.
If you do that you might well not see your doctor for some time. I last saw mine at diagnosis. Possibly sulking.
Of course there are some HCPs who are interested in seeing their patients return to normal.
I went to Spirit Healthcare website, registered, returned the confirmatory email and ordered one of their Tee2 meters and some strips. There are other cheap to run meters.
The main thing to work with is that for a type two, with luck, eating fewer carbohydrates, sugars and starches, will restore normal readings after eating, which might then result in normalizing metabolism, some weightloss, more energy and general well being. Replacing the carbohydrates with fats to use as fuel is part of the process - avoid low fat foods.
Basically it is very simple. The modern diet is too high in carbs too low in fats.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, diagnosed type 2 last week. GP has referred me for a retinopathy scan and for a diabetics education course. Received a letter saying that there is a long waiting list for the course and they have referred me to this site in the meantime. This site is great but I'm feeling in limbo as I have had no other advice. I am trying to eat a low carb diet but should I be buying a blood glucose monitor to see what's going on and if so, which one? When do I see my GP again? After the course and retinopathy scan? I'm so confused!
Hello Anniz,

I'm sorry you've been tossed into the deep end of the pool like this. First off, you're going to be okay. You're asking exactly the right questions too. T2's don't usually get offered a meter, so the bulk of us here self-fund. @Rachox has some excellent info on meters, so I'm tagging her into this conversation. A meter'll tell you whether certain foods agree with you and lets you know how you're doing. (Which can work rather empowering, actually, as you can see instantly that you're doing things right! And when it's off, you know what not to repeat. :) ). Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, if you see a rise of 2.0 mmol/l or less, you're all good. How do you achieve that though? By cutting carbs, as practically all carbs turn to glucose when ingested. That's not just sugar, but starches too... No more spuds, bread, pasta or other grain-based products, no rice, corn, cereal and also.... Little to no fruit. The only thing that's not going to spike you too bad is berries, preferably with heavy cream or full fat greek yoghurt. Things you can eat without problems? Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, (hard) cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, heavy cream, above-ground, non starchy veggies, extra dark chocolate (Try Lindt 85%, it's nice!), olives, that sort of thing.

I'm sorry, I may be going a little fast here. I'm in the Netherlands so I don't know whether you'll get an invite for the scan in the mail or what, and I don't know when you'll see your GP or diabetic nurse again. So fr as that's concerned I'm kind of useless, but others will know. (Though i do think it depends on your practice, what they usually do...)

For the moment, breathe. You're in a good place, with lots of people who've been in your shoes. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is my own little quick-start-guide with just about everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed. It took me a while to find this place, you see. If I'd gotten here sooner I would've stopped crying earlier, and gotten control of my blood sugars a lot faster. (And I did cry a lot. And made a lot of mistakes at first with my foods. Oof!) So, welcome: this is a place of hope, and you are going to be fine!
Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: jjraak and Anniz

Anniz

Using a blood testing meter to see how your glucose levels react to various foods is perhaps the most essential first step - by the time you get any response from GP or 'education' for diabetes you might well have become a former diabetic - in that your Hba1c will have reduced below the diagnostic level.
If you do that you might well not see your doctor for some time. I last saw mine at diagnosis. Possibly sulking.
Of course there are some HCPs who are interested in seeing their patients return to normal.
I went to Spirit Healthcare website, registered, returned the confirmatory email and ordered one of their Tee2 meters and some strips. There are other cheap to run meters.
The main thing to work with is that for a type two, with luck, eating fewer carbohydrates, sugars and starches, will restore normal readings after eating, which might then result in normalizing metabolism, some weightloss, more energy and general well being. Replacing the carbohydrates with fats to use as fuel is part of the process - avoid low fat foods.
Basically it is very simple. The modern diet is too high in carbs too low in fats.
Many thanks. This has been so helpful.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @JoKalsbeek
Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details below.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Home Health have recently bought out this one too, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @Anniz

METER, METER, METER..all day long.

it's not a should you, it's a how else will you know..?
@Rachox post is a good un, lots to get you thinking.

Like other says the courses..meh.:rolleyes:

mine was late like yours and by the time i had it i knew more then most in the room, (not too hard, as many just wanted to take the meds and get back to whatever they were doing previous to course starting) so i doubt your missing anything earth shattering.
trainers were nice, and after the course i sat back to ask for honest feedback, (what to expect, was low carb ok )..while not hostile to it, lets just say it didn't get a glowing report...but they didn't inspire me then or now to go the Eatwell plate, especially after reading up on SO much on here.

You WILL learn more on here, that's a Given..24/7 access Versus 10 mins with doc and a few hours+ in class
But i did find it nice to meet in the flesh fellow sufferers.

the Retinopathy, sounds scary, but it is just to check the the eyes, unlike the opticians they look for tiny bleeds
which MIGHT indicate an issue..mine were fine as are many others..it's just a precaution,
and if anything is found they have the first chance to begin checking more closely.

i think you get called back for a 2nd HBA1c test after a few weeks Mine was 6 weeks in,,
the eye scan was months after..i think i DX in aug and eye scan was december,
course was November, if i recall.

Best wishes for the journey,
lots of helpful people on here,
you won't be lost for advise & support if needed

Reactions: Anniz