Annual diabetes check

claire1234

Went to see my practice nurse today, told her I had a Hb1ac done last month at the hospital and probably didn't need another one, I'm waiting on test results for MODY.

I was expecting a foot check and anything else they do at annual review. She asked if my feet were ok, where I said I thought they were except the usual blisters and calluses from running. She said that I'd know if there was anything up with my feet and that was the end of the check. I didn't even take my shoes off.

Is that normal? I didn't get asked if I have any questions etc, it felt like she couldn't be bothered.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to see my practice nurse today, told her I had a Hb1ac done last month at the hospital and probably didn't need another one, I'm waiting on test results for MODY.

I was expecting a foot check and anything else they do at annual review. She asked if my feet were ok, where I said I thought they were except the usual blisters and calluses from running. She said that I'd know if there was anything up with my feet and that was the end of the check. I didn't even take my shoes off.

Is that normal? I didn't get asked if I have any questions etc, it felt like she couldn't be bothered.
...The point of a foot check is that sometimes you don't know something's wrong. Loss of feeling can be gradual, ulcers can go unnoticed because of loss of feeling... Hence the check! Your gut instinct is right, this is odd.

That said, I haven't had one since I was first diagnosed... My doc doesn't know she should do them, as she's taken over from the nurse. And I keep forgetting to tell her, haha.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally they check the pulses in your feet and do a vibration test. Did she check your weight and BP?

Reactions: jjraak

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally they check the pulses in your feet and do a vibration test. Did she check your weight and BP?
They should prod your feet with the little plastic thing too (not sure what they are called), to see if you can feel it

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never see a doctor. Reviews are with a nurse and a different foot nurse. Retinopathy is done at a different surgery.

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly the same as my foot check, she asks me if I have any foot pain, I say no, end of check. She doesn’t even check whether I have any feet!

annie-p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s disgraceful. I have an annual retinal check at the hospital. Also an appointment with a healthcare assistant at Doctors where my feet are checked, weight measured and bloods taken. This is followed by an appointment a week or so later with one of the diabetes nurses where results are discussed and blood pressure measured. This is the absolute minimum we should expect isn’t it? I’m (almost) speechless!!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly the same as my foot check,
she asks me if I have any foot pain, I say no, end of check.

She doesn’t even check whether I have any feet
!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

i shouldn't laugh, but fair play you for the humorous slant.

i think i've been lucky had two checks since Dx aug 2018
each time it was the pencil test..prods feet, to see if i can feel ok, can..
so then
takes pulses in each foot and marks down responses....all ok
then has a quick check over feet for unseen damage..all ok
and that's' pretty much it.

Toes ok
balls of feet ok
heels..mmhh a little lack of sensation, but that's apparently normal for many folk anyway.
so i was told, but i do watch and check no cuts tears or unwelcome signs ..

i also get weight , height checked, and bloods taken, but that only happened the most recent one
first time i was off to the hospital for blood tests a while later

Not seen any doctor since 2nd check for HBA1c, back in oct 2018,
all nurses.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

We all expect different things from our medics. I feel sure that just saying "I'm not sure about my feet could you check them for me please" would do the trick.