Carnivore Corner

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brunneria , that sounds perfectly doable on my lamp-oil powered thing! I can simply throw veggies in during the last or so hour :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to try if my oven will go so low in heat, but I'm afraid not It's a gas stove, at least 70 years old...
Just use the lowest setting maybe check the liquid level every couple of hours..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And on the topic of ox, this was tonight’s dinner - slow cooked ox cheek.

CA4846E5-70E3-476B-ADBB-9A0E8AD4861D.jpeg

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One more thing @Antje77 about oxtail.

It can have quite a lot of fat on it.
You get to decide how much to keep or trim off, and whether to do that before or after cooking.

My preference (as a keto carnivore) is to keep it all, and have it all meltingly unctiously delicious with the meat.
You may have very different preferences, but I urge you to keep some of the fat, since it adds so much flavour and texture to the dish.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are having chicken stir fried with lemon and garlic, finished with cream.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, you will find quite a lot of 'veteran worship' and recounting of 'longterm experiences' on the various carni blogs and FB groups. I signed up for a few, and left quite quickly when I noticed how many newbies were setting themselves up as experts just because they could quote 'veterans'. Real life is a little more complex than parroting someone else. :hilarious:

What you will find though is a recurring idea that when some people start carnivore, their bodies gain a bit of weight.
This is usually touted as 'healing' after 'years of malnutrition and eating the wrong stuff' and 'once you give your body a chance to heal, it won't hold onto food so much, and your weight will naturally and effortlessly start to fall'.

No idea whether there is any truth in that or not.
2 years of carni, much 'healed' gut issues, much less inflammation' and I still gain with huge protein portions. So it ain't true for me.

I had some interesting discussion with a lady on another site (ketodudes) who had a similar experience. She posted t say that she gained 30 pounds in 6 weeks when starting carnivore. Felt great. Had everyone telling her 'don't worry it is just "healing" and stick with it'.
But at that rate of gain she had had enough, and went back to keto with veg - and the weight gain stopped.
Took her months to scrape her weight down to her starting weight again.

My own weight only fluctuates from carb intake (which includes gluconeogenesis) and fluid retention.
For me, minimal (or zero) carbs means I can eat lots of keto food and not gain, whereas a few too many g of carbs/protein and the weight starts to pile on like toffee on an apple. So it is all about the insulin resistance, for me. Hence my keto carni, not the all you can eat buffet carni. However, since even fasting and zero carbs do not reduce my IR enough, my body hangs on to the weight I have. At least, that is my working theory. I would need a clued up endocrinologist who supported Fung and keto and Carni, with a limitless budget for tests to check things thoroughly.
Yes, most anecdotes have to be taken with a large tablespoon of salt. A pointer for research and perhaps a small tryout, n=1. Seems true for most dietary regimes on the net, raw fruitarian through all colours to carnivore. Not all sites are bad though, ketogenic forums .com discuss and except T2Ds & IR peeps from suggestions of protein stuffing.
Unstoppable this evening after broth for breakfast and no lunch as i went to the butchers. This evening; a couple of slices of very fresh lambs liver -so sweet-, some more broth and a bit of pork loin steak. Too much meat in the fridge but I couldn't resist buying a couple of 1/2lb rump steaks.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You may have very different preferences, but I urge you to keep some of the fat, since it adds so much flavour and texture to the dish.
I like fat in my food, and despite having been overweight all my life, I've never felt the urge to cut off the best part of my foods, whatever general consensus had us believing! I've seen too much suffering from friends trying to lose weight from the time I was 10 to ever want to start that route.

Reactions: Brunneria

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria
I found this on my travels - his attempts at jokes have awful timing but the information is interesting especially about quality of protein, the benefit of exercise with adequate protein for fat loss and LBM preservation, and the importance of breakfast protein. A good adjunct to low carb knowledge.

Reactions: Indy51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this on Facebook. Ribeye Ninja here! Feel a forum username change coming on :D

52470E1E-42E6-4091-873A-E6C064139948.jpeg

M

Member496333

It’s just occurred to me that I don’t think I’ve burped or farted once in the past eight or nine months since going carnivore. Not once. That’s pretty remarkable if you ask me :wideyed:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's actually Sugarfree February

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was thinking of doing fasting every other day.. fasting feb?
I guess egg fasting every other day could become a "thing".. the Egguary Fast?

I’m going to be trying to increase the number of OMAD days. Won’t be every other day but fasting Feb could work.

M

Member496333

Dinner = 400g raw salted lamb's liver. Tasted like nothing else. Primal satiety.

Will update if I survive the night :nailbiting::nurse: