What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook wow well done you on your results - what a relief for you - but can’t believe she wants you on statins on your number! They’ve been trying to push statins on me for years - even before diabetes diagnosis, and my one off score of 13 a few years ago didn’t help. This time it was 7.7 but it’s heading down slowly and my ratio is ‘ideal’ according to the calculators I’ve done courtesy of Dave Feldman’s www.cholesterolcode.com. My HDL is 3.3 and trigs 0.9. Have you run your figures through? I find it reassuring. This time round they haven’t even rung me about it so they may have got the message - note on my notes too that my ‘target figure that they’ve set is 6.5 which is about where I’ve been most of my life as is my mum who is now 89 and in pretty good nick without any ‘help’ of statins. It’s a personal decision though based on lots of research. We must all decide what works for us without any ‘bullying’ and it sounds like any other low carber at your surgery soon gets ‘put right!’
Back to topic but hug for your experience but congratulations for your excellent hbaca1
Breakfast boiled egg and half a toasted buttered chaffle
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil and a few walnuts followed by some 100% montezumas choc with orange oil
Dinner pork saltimboca with halloumi fries, hm coleslaw and avocado salad. Pudding last portion of dd lc raspberry and chocolate swirl brownie with yoghurt.
@PenguinMum dont know if you ever use Ocado but if so they do cauliflower rice at the moment - good luck in your search. I mainly do my own freezing it in bulk but good to have some of the instant stuff too in the freezer.
Interesting tool from Feldman. Since my scores appear rather good I have absolutely no confidence in it whatsoever but thanks anyhow. Can't trust this kind of thing with comments saying optimal. Utter clownshoe.
upload_2020-1-28_19-43-51.png

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Chook let me add my congratulations for a great set of results. I’m stunned that she didn’t praise you for doing so well though. How frustrating!
@Annb I think we’ve all had those Unidentified freezer lumps. Thank goodness it was at least a savoury lump.
This morning I had a few black coffees.
Late lunch about 2:30 DD keto Italian plate ( Parma ham, mozzarella, olives)
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/bacon-wrapped-keto-burgers thought I fancied a glass of red with it but a couple of sips was enough, gave the rest to MrC and had TWAM instead. Sometimes the thought and expectation is better than the reality.
@Quinn1066 hope all goes well with your scan tomorrow. I agree with you about morning routine being messed up, I hate it too.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ooo, found the nutra check app and it's my new favourite thing! Still on free trial period, is anyone using it and do they think it's worthwhile signing up. It's amazing how many things 'slip' by when counting carbs. Got the Carb and Cal book but I like this app as it scans barcodes too.

Breakfast: homemade granola, slice of burgen
Lunch: half an avocado, 3 slices salami, one mini samosa, two cherry toms. Six cherries, chocolate granola, double cream.
Tea: Bacon, tinned tomatoes, scrambled eggs, one slice livlife
Wow, those are quite high. It was the cocoa nibs and orange oil ones and the like I was after, I thought all online shopping sites had to provide nutritional info these days, saves you time trawling round the internet . Anyway, thanks for the info at least I know the above will be way too carby (and sweet) for me!;)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ifyou stick with the 100% absolut black either on its own or with orange oil and cocoa nibs or the almond absolut black and they are all 8g per 100g. But Im aware they are not for everyone!
Ah no, I'm hardcore dark chocolate I can take it! Thanks for the info, it's on order as we speak!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You know i don't deserve it - my BGs were awful a few weeks ago. I'm just lucky that my blood does whatever it does quicker than normal and yours does it slower than normal.

Weird about the shrinking though!.

Actually, I am half an inch shorter than I used to be, but it must have happened over a fair length of time. Nobody has bothered to measure my height though for many years (might be even shorter now). I've also gone up 2 shoe sizes in my old age - I find that very strange, and it's not only swollen feet, they are just longer than once upon a time. Odd picture in my mind - the way I'll end up if this keeps going - 2 huge boots with a tiny body on top.

upload_2020-1-28_21-39-56.png

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All,

B: bone broth and LC hot choc. Seems like a perfect breakfast, to me.
L: baked salmon with lemon pepper mayo
D: chicken stir fried with garlic and lime, finished with cream, yawn. Looking forward to steak once we are rid finished with the chicken.

All well in B Land.
Pup 3 is on her sleepover. So peaceful without her. Pups 1 and 2 have just had another Deep Brush treatment. They look great. You know they ask to be brushed, bless ‘em.
The curtain is a great success. The office has never been so warm.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening All,

B: bone broth and LC hot choc. Seems like a perfect breakfast, to me.
L: baked salmon with lemon pepper mayo
D: chicken stir fried with garlic and lime, finished with cream, yawn. Looking forward to steak once we are rid finished with the chicken.

All well in B Land.
Pup 3 is on her sleepover. So peaceful without her. Pups 1 and 2 have just had another Deep Brush treatment. They look great. You know they ask to be brushed, bless ‘em.
The curtain is a great success. The office has never been so warm.
In need of happiness right now, can you please post a picture of the dogs, my sister has a kelpie/Labrador cross and he is adorable. Salmon in lemon pepper mayo actually sounds nice to me right now. Planning to re-introduce tuna into my diet today to find out how testing that goes, as much as fish smells I do like a good tuna sandwich.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 2 of my holibobs :)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold bbq chicken with leafy salad followed by low carb carrot cake with cream.
Mid afternoon: white choc phd bar with Diet Pepsi by the pool.
Dinner at an Indian restaurant: lamb buhna with mushrooms, a couple of mouthfuls of hubby’s peshwari naan and poppadoms
followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola back at our lodge.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here you go @Quinn1066
Always happy to share some puppy love. They have so much of it!

No’s 1 & 2: Exhausted after a looong walk at Robinhoods Bay, last year

DA2569AE-7C6F-4F63-ADEA-22E9F56AFFFE.jpeg

And the puppy, No 3: in full destructive mode. Her favourite toy (Pink Piggy) temporarily abandoned while she destroys a gift bag.

BD57A9D7-D94A-4BBF-9CC0-AE2E5F8A09FC.jpeg

just realised - in the spirit of this thread, all 3 wee beasties had 2 meals of Nutriment venison and chicken (raw complete food, supplied frozen but served once defrosted ;) ) also a calcium bone wrapped in dried chicken as a treat. Oh, and the cooked salmon skin from my lunch, chopped as a topper on their tea.

Mr B is the only non carnivore in this house :hilarious:

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here you go @Quinn1066
Always happy to share some puppy love. They have so much of it!

No’s 1 & 2: Exhausted after a looong walk at Robinhoods Bay, last year

View attachment 38193

And the puppy, No 3: in full destructive mode. Her favourite toy (Pink Piggy) temporarily abandoned while she destroys a gift bag.

View attachment 38194
Oh wow, you just made my day so much better. They all look adorable. Destroying the gift bag seems like something an adorable puppy would do (pug breed?). Toby my sisters dog likes belly scratches, eating rose petals in my parents back yard much to there annoyance, and trying to destroy the rhubarb crop, that has been dog Toby proofed and fenced twice now, so it's safe. rhubarb and apple crumble was one of my favorite deserts, but I found out today that apples spike me far too high.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
28-01-2020
Breakfast nut granola, 2 egg and cheese omelette, CWC
No morning coffee. Was lunchtime when we stopped work.
Lunch CWC pain kapnor with duck rillettes.
Afternoon Mr Slim made me CWC. Oops
Later hungry and tired After work in the orchard and garden. Still dealing with the trees. Logs and twigs. After several days , my shoulder is begining to complain, feels as if little has been achieved today, although I spent hours doing it and got cold and wet in the process. Mr Slim was working in the kitchen, cooking impossible. succumbed to a single chocolate. And another... whole jar gone. Probably five or six altogether.
Dinner large glass of wine. Ratatouille with chicken, green Beans and creamed leeks.
Evening
Tiny sliver of MrSlims Apple. Several pieces of cheese.
Bedtime lemon tea.

Edited to add excuses

Last edited:

Winnie-the-Pooh

Beautiful sunny but cold day here - just back from the DN for my annual review (and hypertension review) - it seems to me that you can't win no matter what you do!

HbA1c - 35
Cholesterol - 5.3
BP 126/80

She wants me on statins (my reply was 'not a chance') and we went over and over what I eat as she's worried that I will hypo at this level. :banghead: Turns out I am now the ONLY diabetic at that (big) surgery who low carbs - she asked me what I thought that might be - so I said probably because of the lack of support by doctors and staff. (By this time I was getting a bit wound up.)

Oh, and I've shrunk half an inch since last year. :rolleyes: Seriously, she asked me what I thought about that - I said I thought that either her or the person who measured me last year probably made a mistake. We sent through what I eat regularly and she virtually called me a liar on the Aldi black bean spaghetti stuff (said there is NO pasta/spaghetti product that low) so I've just emptied a packet of it and asked Mr C to drop the empty packet in to the surgery on his way to work for her attention!

Sorry to rant.... feel a bit better now....

I’m sorry about your nurse experience. But you don’t need confirmation of her to feel happy about what you achieved. She is not a medicine Nobel prize winner .

I have a policy in life . When someone criticizes me for something I consider “unfair” , I ask myself :

1- Are they a loved one whose opinion matters to me ( family , friend etc) ?
2- Are they my boss so my career success depends on their opinion ( right or wrong )
3- Are they an accomplished scientist, artist , intellectual, someone who has done something great for society and humanity, or an established expert in something of value ?

If the answer to all questions is NO, I don’t give a **** at all . If either of them is yes , then I start to debug the problem to see if any part of it is my fault.

Just ignore the nurse and celebrate your success.

Edit : Always ask yourself if the person who is unfair to you , can change your life or if their opinion come from some perspective they have uniquely earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Winnie-the-Pooh

In need of happiness right now, can you please post a picture of the dogs, my sister has a kelpie/Labrador cross and he is adorable. Salmon in lemon pepper mayo actually sounds nice to me right now. Planning to re-introduce tuna into my diet today to find out how testing that goes, as much as fish smells I do like a good tuna sandwich.

Agreed !
@ Brunneria , the poppy with torn gift wraps made me so happy ! Kiss your furry friend for me . So cute !

If I had a cat or dog or even a basic hamster , I would be the happiest person on earth . I spoiled my sister’s cat so much , she had more toys that my nieces

Reactions: DJC3 and Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 29/01/220
FBG 4.8
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 95g granny smith apple, 75g blueberries, 23g peanut butter, 170g chobani non fat yoghurt. 3 white strong coffees with 20ml milk in each
1 hour 6.8, 2 hour 5.3. I do not like that spike at all, as my normal porridge without an apple doesn't spike me nearly as high at one hour, and I am back lower after 2 hours. so apples are out.

Lunch Before 4.0
2 white corn tortilla, 100g sauerkraut, 34g full fat jarlsberg cheese, 102g Don ham from deli, 224g zucchini, 147g tomato.
1 hour 6.4, 2 hour 4.6. So found out later that the ham had sugar in the ingredients list, also first time measuring ham with my set lunch, so no ham it is, also still not comfortable with "processed meats" in general with the nitrates and the sodium.

Dinner: 154g broccoli, 3 XL eggs, 0.5tsp olive oil.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks, everyone, for your comments on yesterday's appointment with the DN. Thank you for your congratulations and I am just ignoring her criticism - I do think its strange that she feels that she needs to be so harsh. Luckily I am fairly secure in my knowledge of low carbing (I might go off piste occasionally but I do at least know why and how) but if anyone was just starting out I would imagine they would feel very discouraged.

@Brunneria - lovely pictures of your dogs - the little one looks like a bit of a character :) Many years ago I used to have a dog that tore up anything and ate the post - which was a real issue when I was selling on eBay (in the very early days) and didn't have a PayPal account - people just used to send cheques or cash - and George would happily eat all of it until we got an outdoor mail box. He lived to 14 so it didn't do him any harm.

So, today Wednesday 29-01-20

Last nights bed time test: 5.4
This morning's FBG: 6.4
Breakfast: Alpro coconut flavour soya yoghurt, 80g mixed berries and 20g mixed nuts and seeds - I am really enjoying this breakfast
2 hours later: 6.3

Lunch: Green gloop

Dinner: Fritatta - 3 eggs, 20g cheese, 30g kale, 30g red onion - served with a side of dressed rocket (yes, this is from the Sirtfood diet book which arrived this morning

Supper: Unsweetened soya milk hot chocolate (turns out that chocolate / cocoa powder is a sirt food)

Drinks: Black decaff coffee and water and, of course, that hot chocolate.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Breakfast was my usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch was large bowl of Leek & Brocolli soup with a chunk of cheddar for the fat balance and a quarter of Mr PM’s Cox’s apple. Probably a bit carby but will check in two hours. Supper will be steak and salad.
My fridge has that Thusday (empty) feeling so need to do a bit of shopping tomorrow. I hate food waste and am pleased when we use what I buy. The trick is not over buying and feeling we have to eat more than we need. Does that sound stingey?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all. @Chook let me add my congratulations for a great set of results. I’m stunned that she didn’t praise you for doing so well though. How frustrating!
@Annb I think we’ve all had those Unidentified freezer lumps. Thank goodness it was at least a savoury lump.
This morning I had a few black coffees.
Late lunch about 2:30 DD keto Italian plate ( Parma ham, mozzarella, olives)
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/bacon-wrapped-keto-burgers thought I fancied a glass of red with it but a couple of sips was enough, gave the rest to MrC and had TWAM instead. Sometimes the thought and expectation is better than the reality.
@Quinn1066 hope all goes well with your scan tomorrow. I agree with you about morning routine being messed up, I hate it too.

It had to be a savoury lump from the freezer. There is only one sweet thing in there and that is a large chocolate and orange trifle in a plastic box, waiting for No2 son to pick it up and use it. The only other thing I ever have in there that is sweet would be a cake for some kind of event in Stornoway and that would also be in a plastic box. So I am quite safe there. I see some other poly bags in the freezer that look much like the one I pulled out for yesterday - labels have also come off of them - must have been the wrong kind of labels for the freezer. The butternut squash heavy day doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Food
Today at 10.20 - a chaffle made with some peppers and a quarter of an onion with 2 fried eggs.
Later today will be another chaffle from the same mixture, but made as a pancake/fritter and some "Sloppy Joe" - also from the freezer.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee this morning, then CWC as I realised I had a half full pot in the fridge. Since stopping having cream in coffee I’m hardly using any. I was buying a couple of pots a week previously. (About 3000 Cals a week just in coffee lol)
Lunch was tuna in oo, a h/b egg, celery, spring onion, mayo, lettuce.
Dinner: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-baked-salmon-with-pesto served with roast broccoli. The pesto/mayo/ yoghurt sauce was very good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Normal lunch of eggs bacon and cheese with dinner of bacon wrapped meatloaf.

@DJC3 I’ve been trying to use less cream too. Had a couple of weeks just using lactofree whole milk in tea but having reverted to cream at work last week, decided its waaay nicer, so have bought a 150ml pot for home and when it’s gone it’ll be back to the lactofree.

@PenguinMum sounds a sensible approach, not stingy at all.