Rant [emoji24]

Llama_red

Hi, I’m a type 1 & was diagnosed 20 years ago when I was 15. I’ve had ups and downs with it but more so since having my kids (aged 8 & 5). Anyway, saw the diabetes clinic today for a check up/general visit, and my goddness, this particular nurse is such a ****!!! Like she knows how to dampen down your positivity!

Admittedly I haven’t been perfect but for the last 2/3 months I’ve been putting so much effort into looking after myself.

But instead she tells me that when I wake up with a low reading that I should be treating it as a hypo despite me knowing that my sugars naturally rise in the morning anyway (without eating or drinking anything). When I told her I know what a hypo feels like & what to do she then said ‘well what if you’re driving and that happens and you don’t bother to treat a hypo?’. Errrr well I certainly wouldn’t be driving if my sugar levels were low or dropping would I??! And my hypos in the morning are different to one id say get in the afternoon or evening. As I said, if my levels are on the low side in the morning they start rising whether I take glucose or not (usually if I take glucose I end up with a massively high reading?!).

I currently take Levemir and Novo Rapid and I expressed an interest in possibly switching to a pump (after doing loads of research I feel this is something that I would benefit from) to which she then proceeded to tell me ‘how you have to meet a strict criteria & be eligible for funding & that the pumps they have are old fashioned etc etc’ oh and how they aren’t a ‘miracle’ that everyone thinks they are?? And ‘don’t think it controls your diabetes for you, you still have to finger prick and enter readings into a pump’ (like I don’t know this ).

I currently self fund the Libre and even then she said ‘well coz you self fund you automatically don’t qualify for NHS funding’, then went on to tell me how if there’s no improvement in my HBa1c then if I ever did get funding for it then it’d be taken away???

Like seriously, I feel deflated after putting so much effort into my care the last few months. This condition is so tiresome & it p****** me off how some blunt rude nurse can just make me feel like this.

Just hate when you feel like you’re being told off instead of encouraged. Oh and not to mention how she was answering her mobile phone at the start of my appointment.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense. I just had a goal this year to try and get on a pump and be a ‘good diabetic’ but just feel like I’ve been knocked down.

(slight edit by mod for language)

Last edited by a moderator:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like an uninspiring visit. Yes there is criteria for everything these days, but she is totally incorrect regarding self funding and ineligibility for the Libre. There is actually a section for self funders in the criteria. I self funded and got it. If she is wrong about this I am sure her knowledge on other things may not be all it should. You really need to see a consultant. Something all Type 1s should have access to. Don’t lose heart. Regroup and take it further.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be really tempted to start to speak slowly and repeat myself - explaining things carefully - with slightly raised eyebrows. If that fails to register I can get sarcastic. They can only blame themselves.

Reactions: Llama_red

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, well that must have been a pleasant appointment. There is a criteria for those who are self funding. As for the pump and libre discussion, I would leave that with your consultant. Only your consultant can apply for funding for it. And yes there is a criteria for both and my nurse told me to have realistic expectations for a pump.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've encountered a few people like that in my time, it puts you off going to the clinic or asking for help if you have to be on the defensive from the start. There was one diabetes nurse I really disliked but fortunately she left :D
I think, because of the cost, some nurses and/or consultants try to put people off pumps (and probably libres but I don't have experience with that), I have a relative with type 1 and they were told by their consultant that pumps are "not all they're cracked up to be" and "I wouldn't want one" rather than explaining the pros and cons o_O

Llama_red

Sounds like an uninspiring visit. Yes there is criteria for everything these days, but she is totally incorrect regarding self funding and ineligibility for the Libre. There is actually a section for self funders in the criteria. I self funded and got it. If she is wrong about this I am sure her knowledge on other things may not be all it should. You really need to see a consultant. Something all Type 1s should have access to. Don’t lose heart. Regroup and take it further.

Thank you for replying. It just sounded like she was trying to put me off everything, I went to that appointment in good spirits and she just kept cutting me off like I was wrong for asking & treating me like I hadn’t got a clue about type 1?! I only see the diabetes nurses at clinic, is the consultant hospital based? Because they’ve never told me about seeing anyone other than them?

Llama_red

I've encountered a few people like that in my time, it puts you off going to the clinic or asking for help if you have to be on the defensive from the start. There was one diabetes nurse I really disliked but fortunately she left :D
I think, because of the cost, some nurses and/or consultants try to put people off pumps (and probably libres but I don't have experience with that), I have a relative with type 1 and they were told by their consultant that pumps are "not all they're cracked up to be" and "I wouldn't want one" rather than explaining the pros and cons o_O

That’s exactly it. All I wanted was to discuss a way forward with my treatment and I just feel like there’s no hope. I see and hear of so many people using all this amazing technology to control their condition and I’m stuck in the dark ages. All I want is for better control and to feel ‘well’. I suppose I was hoping for some progress towards my goal of getting a pump eventually but I felt like I was nothing more than an inconvenience ☹️

Reactions: sleepster

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for replying. It just sounded like she was trying to put me off everything, I went to that appointment in good spirits and she just kept cutting me off like I was wrong for asking & treating me like I hadn’t got a clue about type 1?! I only see the diabetes nurses at clinic, is the consultant hospital based? Because they’ve never told me about seeing anyone other than them?

You should always have a consultant to see for type 1 diabetes. They are hospital based, you can ask your nurses to refer you to one. I assume they sit in the same office in the same building.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Llama_red , and welcome to the forum!
Erm, would it be possible to ditch the nurse in favor of another one? This one seems to be broken, it definitely isn't working as it should be.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just hate when you feel like you’re being told off instead of encouraged. Oh and not to mention how she was answering her mobile phone at the start of my appointment.

This reminded me of one of my visits where you queue up like at a cattle market and then get called in. I went into the DN's room and sat down and she had her head bent over her computer and was tapping away. Normally when called in I say Hello but this time I just sat there and said nothing. After a good few seconds, she looked up as if to see whether I'd gone hypo presumably. Then I said 'I'll wait until you've finished, you're clearly busy'. She went red, shut down the computer and said Hello, how are you! I cannot stand rudeness! Always (politely) call it out.

Reactions: smc4761

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, I’m a type 1 & was diagnosed 20 years ago when I was 15. I’ve had ups and downs with it but more so since having my kids (aged 8 & 5). Anyway, saw the diabetes clinic today for a check up/general visit, and my god, this particular nurse is such a ****!!! Like she knows how to dampen down your positivity!

Admittedly I haven’t been perfect but for the last 2/3 months I’ve been putting so much effort into looking after myself.

But instead she tells me that when I wake up with a low reading that I should be treating it as a hypo despite me knowing that my sugars naturally rise in the morning anyway (without eating or drinking anything). When I told her I know what a hypo feels like & what to do she then said ‘well what if you’re driving and that happens and you don’t bother to treat a hypo?’. Errrr well I certainly wouldn’t be driving if my sugar levels were low or dropping would I??! And my hypos in the morning are different to one id say get in the afternoon or evening. As I said, if my levels are on the low side in the morning they start rising whether I take glucose or not (usually if I take glucose I end up with a massively high reading?!).

I currently take Levemir and Novo Rapid and I expressed an interest in possibly switching to a pump (after doing loads of research I feel this is something that I would benefit from) to which she then proceeded to tell me ‘how you have to meet a strict criteria & be eligible for funding & that the pumps they have are old fashioned etc etc’ oh and how they aren’t a ‘miracle’ that everyone thinks they are?? And ‘don’t think it controls your diabetes for you, you still have to finger prick and enter readings into a pump’ (like I don’t know this ).

I currently self fund the Libre and even then she said ‘well coz you self fund you automatically don’t qualify for NHS funding’, then went on to tell me how if there’s no improvement in my HBa1c then if I ever did get funding for it then it’d be taken away???

Like seriously, I feel deflated after putting so much effort into my care the last few months. This condition is so bloody tiresome & it p*sses me off how some blunt rude nurse can just make me feel like this.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense. I just had a goal this year to try and get on a pump and be a ‘good diabetic’ but just feel like I’ve been knocked down.

Hi @Llama_red Are you in the UK? If so you have every right to send information like this by way of a complaint to PALS. The system certainly was good as recently as 8 years ago, and I suspect still is. Don't put up with such unhelpful treatment! Good luck

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m a type 1 & was diagnosed 20 years ago when I was 15. I’ve had ups and downs with it but more so since having my kids (aged 8 & 5). Anyway, saw the diabetes clinic today for a check up/general visit, .......

Hi,

This DSN you mentioned sounds "old skool." (I mean we could be talking the "text books" from my formative years as a T1?

I feel some of your pain.

I don't pump. But show em an app to log BGs & possibly a Libre. Lol, let alone the tech behind a Miaomiao..
One locum GP on a med review starting at a new surgery, marvelled at my Novopen.. "It's a means of administering insulin, Sir. The mechanism within the device omits the need to draw up by use of glass syringe." He thought I was "Captain Kirk." (I remember "old skool." Diagnosed in 1976.)

I had one DSN tell me I should eat a banana & not correct a high with insulin only? (I don't/can't do breakfast, I do more a brunch.)
Then it turned out after further plugging the benefits of this topical tropical fruit as her own breakfast of choice. She was "pre-D!"
Didn't even test herself.. Yah, I'll see you in the que at the chemist for meds then..?

Find the right support. It is out there. Keep up your own hard work & keep the faith in yourself..

Quote edits by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Llama-red Yes you should have access to a consultant. It is in the criteria for type 1s ironically. She probably doesn’t know that either. Get a referral from your GP as soon as possible.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s exactly it. All I wanted was to discuss a way forward with my treatment and I just feel like there’s no hope. I see and hear of so many people using all this amazing technology to control their condition and I’m stuck in the dark ages. All I want is for better control and to feel ‘well’. I suppose I was hoping for some progress towards my goal of getting a pump eventually but I felt like I was nothing more than an inconvenience ☹️
I completely understand, although I'm very fortunate to have a pump, I feel like I don't get the support I need to use it to it's potential and I feel like I lack so much information. When I ask about doing courses or for information on different things (like libres) I just get brushed off. I have just asked to be referred to a different hospital.
If you see the diabetes nurse at your GPs you should definitely ask for a referral to a hospital clinic.

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t se her again ask for a colleague. If you don’t like or trust her there is no point in the appointment . You know your condition better than her. If you manage a BS below 4.00 most nights you may loose your warning signals ....

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It strikes me that if your reading indicates you are very close to a hypo on waking, allowing for the acknowledged possibility of 15% error on your meter reading, the rise you then experience may be caused by your liver kicking in to retrieve the situation. If this is so, you probably need to adjust your basal insulin. This DSN is clearly a pain to deal with, but I think she could be right over this. Repeated untreated hypos may be storing up trouble for the future. I would avoid unhelpful HCPs like the plague, but over this issue she coukd be correct. I would suggest a bit of testing in the early morning. Yes, it's a real nuisance to have to do it, but the info you'll get should be helpful.