And so it begins: Eat less meat or we’ll make you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year I had two heart attacks and bypass surgery. My consultant discussed diet, and I told him I was low carb + higher fat (LCHF) and he agreed that I should carry on with it. He did suggest a modification to it as laid out by the Heart Surgeon Dr Aseem Malhotrsa to use the Mediterranean flavoured variant of it. this does not mean pasta but does use Olive Oil and loads of fish. So that is what I am doing. My GP and diabetic HCP both agree that it is suitable for me but advise thin sheets of butter , not slabs or doorstops. I did not do fatbombs anyway, nor do I do bulletproof coffees. I do still eat red meat. My bgl is in the sweet range and I am still able to provide care 24/7 for my partner who is chairbound.

So the low fat mantra is beginning to shift out of the consultancy door. My GP notes my LDL-C is high, but my HDL is higher and the ratio is good. He is happy, and I am no longer being persuaded to take statins even though I am one who has has a CVE
Since I changed from seed oils to non seed oils and fats my HDL has increased, even though I am probably eating more fats.

I didn't know why until the post upthread, and links to explain it.

Another good reason for my to be careful about plant based foods and their effect on my own health.

Cathi18768

What was that we were saying about choice? Looks like we’re edging one step closer to the removal of it.

People should cut the amount of beef, lamb and dairy produce they eat by a fifth to combat climate change, a report says. It says public bodies should lead the way by offering plant-based options with all meals. But it says if people don’t cut consumption willingly, taxes on meat and dairy might be needed. The report comes from the government’s official advisers, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51210622

Does anyone have any suggestions for maintaining a low carb lifestyle, while cutting down on meat? Lots of veggie substitutes seem somewhat carby to me....

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any suggestions for maintaining a low carb lifestyle, while cutting down on meat? Lots of veggie substitutes seem somewhat carby to me....
Can you eat nuts? Or soya/tofu? Are you wanting to cut down on dairy too?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs- I know they are not meat, but has anything been said about chicken production and egg availability, given how much soya they eat?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs- I know they are not meat, but has anything been said about chicken production and egg availability, given how much soya they eat?
Hopefully it will be changed before it becomes mandated, but at present this is what the Global Diet to Save the World is postulating we are limited to, and the Climate Change Comittee in parliament has accepted this as their go forward recommendation for Eatwell to change to

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47074333

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what the Eat Lancet people are suggesting for the diet to save the planet
https://eatforum.org/learn-and-discover/the-planetary-health-diet/
It has recipes in it.

Note that animal protein is limited to 7 gm/day and that includes dairy and eggs.

Edit to add: they are showing lots of sexy meat and dairy recipes over each week, and it looks like they are not following their own guidelines that they are setting for the nutritionists. 7 g per day is approx half a beef burger or 1 and 1.3 eggs per week, and that is a maximum limit. Their recommendations for dairy allows zero g fat per day.. But they allow 31 g of added sugar a day.

Last edited:

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
In the US, a vegan substitute for ground beef is already being sold, with a vegan source of heme used to make it taste like beef, and protein from vegetable sources.

It's around twice the cost of the meat it replaces, though, so I'm not going to try it soon.

No word on how much carbon dioxide is produced by this production, and therefore whether it makes climate change better or worse.

The same company is working on developing vegan substitutes for other meats.

Not much work seems to be ready on duplicating the texture of meats that aren't ground.

Also, I've seen some articles on making cattle produce less methane by adding a certain type of seaweed to their diets.

It seems worthwhile to check if one of the two major methods of feeding cattle in the US produces less methane than the other. One is feeding them mostly grass, and the other is feeding them mostly grain. I haven't found any announcements of anyone even doing such research, or any results.

Here is the US, a major source of methane of leaks is from natural gas lines, and also the initial waste from the fracking method of producing more natural gas. Many oil refineries vent off their lighter hydrocarbons, including methane. If they burn these hydrocarbons as the vent them, it produces carbon dioxide; if they don't burn them, they include methane.

Cattle, rabbits, and termites are among the few animals that use cellulose (found in grass and in wood) as a significant part of their diets. All do it by maintaining colonies of bacteria that produce enzymes that can split the bonds in cellulose; no animals produce these enzymes without using bacteria. Research seems worthwhile on which animals of this type produce more or less methane.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year I had two heart attacks and bypass surgery. My consultant discussed diet, and I told him I was low carb + higher fat (LCHF) and he agreed that I should carry on with it. He did suggest a modification to it as laid out by the Heart Surgeon Dr Aseem Malhotrsa to use the Mediterranean flavoured variant of it. this does not mean pasta but does use Olive Oil and loads of fish. So that is what I am doing. My GP and diabetic HCP both agree that it is suitable for me but advise thin sheets of butter , not slabs or doorstops. I did not do fatbombs anyway, nor do I do bulletproof coffees. I do still eat red meat. My bgl is in the sweet range and I am still able to provide care 24/7 for my partner who is chairbound.

So the low fat mantra is beginning to shift out of the consultancy door. My GP notes my LDL-C is high, but my HDL is higher and the ratio is good. He is happy, and I am no longer being persuaded to take statins even though I am one who has has a CVE

Always like the posts you put up, and now knowing the background, even more impressed at how much knowledge you have managed to bring kicking and screaming to the fore.

Glad your making such good progress and getting good support, to boot.

Always nice to hear advice from someone, on the front line, so to speak, rather then just parroting what they have been told, from far behind the lines .

Have a good day, @Oldvatr

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the US, a vegan substitute for ground beef is already being sold, with a vegan source of heme used to make it taste like beef, and protein from vegetable sources.

It's around twice the cost of the meat it replaces, though, so I'm not going to try it soon.

No word on how much carbon dioxide is produced by this production, and therefore whether it makes climate change better or worse.

The same company is working on developing vegan substitutes for other meats.

Not much work seems to be ready on duplicating the texture of meats that aren't ground.

Also, I've seen some articles on making cattle produce less methane by adding a certain type of seaweed to their diets.

It seems worthwhile to check if one of the two major methods of feeding cattle in the US produces less methane than the other. One is feeding them mostly grass, and the other is feeding them mostly grain. I haven't found any announcements of anyone even doing such research, or any results.

Here is the US, a major source of methane of leaks is from natural gas lines, and also the initial waste from the fracking method of producing more natural gas. Many oil refineries vent off their lighter hydrocarbons, including methane. If they burn these hydrocarbons as the vent them, it produces carbon dioxide; if they don't burn them, they include methane.

Cattle, rabbits, and termites are among the few animals that use cellulose (found in grass and in wood) as a significant part of their diets. All do it by maintaining colonies of bacteria that produce enzymes that can split the bonds in cellulose; no animals produce these enzymes without using bacteria. Research seems worthwhile on which animals of this type produce more or less methane.
The biggest source of atmospheric methane is rotting plants All hydrocarbons oxidise to either CO2 (aerobic) or Methane (Anaerobic), not just grass. the important thing is that humans cannot eat grass, shrubs or trees.
The earth did a very good job at sequestering carbon in the form of underground hydrocarbons (fossil fuels) which we are using up at a prodigious rate, and it is this activity that is causing the excess GHG. Burning biomass does not help and growing biomass to burn is not helpful. Unless we use natural sources for generating our energy either solar or wind or wave or gravity then we are just treading water and not replenishing the carbon store.

One source of fuel that is planet friendly is hydrogen, but it is not easy to capture, store, or transport, But when burnt it only produces heat and water. vapour so is zero carbon emissive, but not zero carbon footprint to generate unless using electrochemical means such as hydrolysis from solar energy. This is what we should be working on to save the planet. Note that a useful bi-product of electrolysis is oxygen So fuel for the car, fuel for me, win, win. Hydrogen fuel cells are reusable and recyclable, but lithium batteries must be replaced and have a short lifespan. Wind turbines have a useful life of about 10 years, then they must be scrapped and replaced. These technoogies have a large carbon footprint and ongoing maintenance expense. What is the carbon footprint of an electric car nowadays. I note this subject is never discussed in the press or media.

We need to turn the focus away from cow farts and extinction rebellion causing extinction, to solving and supporting relevant technological solutions. I watch Euronews simply because their Futuris program every day covers these technologies, and is not filled up with games and mobile phone apps.

M

Member496333

What is the carbon footprint of an electric car nowadays. I note this subject is never discussed in the press or media.

This is going to be the next 'revelation' in a decade or so. Now is the time to buy and enjoy an EV if you want one. Get in there before they're demonised/taxed/banned along with everything else that humans once thought was a great idea...like razing the planet to grow more soy etcetera :shifty:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is going to be the next 'revelation' in a decade or so. Now is the time to buy and enjoy an EV if you want one. Get in there before they're demonised/taxed/banned along with everything else that humans once thought was a great idea...like razing the planet to grow more soy etcetera :shifty:
I assume that an oxcart is no longer a planet friendly option. Pony and trap may still be avsilable for a while until the poachers get busy. Maybe consider a husky drawn sled. After all it is only the diet we are being asked to take up. The rest should be up to our consciences.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw the guardian news about cow milk v plant milks
Almonds are out. Dairy is a disaster. So what milk should we drink?

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...es-aoe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

However, I have not found a comparison chart of the nutritional content of each type of milk.

All the plant milks seem to have added supplements of vitamins, and some have added thickeners too. Surely the additions have to come from somewhere?

I know the thread title is meat, but hopefully dairy and eggs are included in this subject.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw the guardian news about cow milk v plant milks
Almonds are out. Dairy is a disaster. So what milk should we drink?

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...es-aoe?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

However, I have not found a comparison chart of the nutritional content of each type of milk.

All the plant milks seem to have added supplements of vitamins, and some have added thickeners too. Surely the additions have to come from somewhere?

I know the thread title is meat, but hopefully dairy and eggs are included in this subject.
Has the usual Grauniad bias on farting cows munching all the rainforest soya , whereas farmers will tell you soy is toxic and would kill them. Soya's only contribution to the debate is via poultry and possibly pigs.
The USA is the largest importer of Amazon Soya, for their poultry farming.

I like the footnote at the end of their article which starts
>>>>>
Climate misinformation is rife…
… and never more dangerous than now, as the crisis escalates across the world. The Guardian’s accurate, authoritative journalism has never been more critical – and we will not stay quiet.<<<<

So untrue, such a sham. T

Dark Horse

Has the usual Grauniad bias on farting cows munching all the rainforest soya , whereas farmers will tell you soy is toxic and would kill them. Soya's only contribution to the debate is via poultry and possibly pigs.
The USA is the largest importer of Amazon Soya, for their poultry farming.

I like the footnote at the end of their article which starts
>>>>>
Climate misinformation is rife…
… and never more dangerous than now, as the crisis escalates across the world. The Guardian’s accurate, authoritative journalism has never been more critical – and we will not stay quiet.<<<<

So untrue, such a sham. T

https://wilkes.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/03/concerns-about-feeding-soybeans-to-cattle/ This article seems to be saying that soy is fine for cows unless they are also receiving a supplement containing urea:-

'Whole, raw soybeans make an excellent feed for beef cows as they have a high level of Crude Protein (40%) and Fat (20%).'

'Raw soybeans contain urease, which rapidly breaks down urea into ammonia. Do not feed raw soybeans to cattle that are receiving a supplement or feed containing non-protein Nitrogen (Urea) as this could lead to ammonia toxicity and death.'

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://wilkes.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/03/concerns-about-feeding-soybeans-to-cattle/ This article seems to be saying that soy is fine for cows unless they are also receiving a supplement containing urea:-

'Whole, raw soybeans make an excellent feed for beef cows as they have a high level of Crude Protein (40%) and Fat (20%).'

'Raw soybeans contain urease, which rapidly breaks down urea into ammonia. Do not feed raw soybeans to cattle that are receiving a supplement or feed containing non-protein Nitrogen (Urea) as this could lead to ammonia toxicity and death.'
They can have small amounts of soya bean, less than 15% of the total daily feed. It's not ideal though. 6 % is really the maximum for heathy rumination.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/dairy-cows-livestock-behind-growth-soya-south-america/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't need milk - good old fashioned oxtail is just as good a source of calcium if prepared in the right way.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They can have small amounts of soya bean, less than 15% of the total daily feed. It's not ideal though. 6 % is really the maximum for heathy rumination.
Indeed the economic aspect you mention here is a prime mover since although feeding cattle soy may not be lethal till higher amounts are given, there is a dramatic loss of productivity at the levels you quote. No farmer wanting to maximise yield and profit is going to give soya without taking care for his animals. Most farmers in the industry actually care about their animals which is not what we are led to believe by the media reports today. Yes there are cowboys in any industry, and we need to make better efforts to curtail their activities.