Exercise

M

Member496333

Very likely. Strenuous exercise becomes glycolytic very quickly and may encourage the liver to secrete glucose.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your breakfast choice may have affected your level too but I agree strenuous exercise will raise your blood sugar. What did you have for breakfast?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning result 10.8 then breakfast 2 hours later 13 done a spin class has that affected it

Sometimes I get a higher reading after morning exercises. The effect of dawn phenomena could also be the culprit. It occurs during the wee hours of the morning until around 8 am.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Low carbs and moderate exercise work best for keeping BG low. Resistance exercise is also good since (with enough protein) this build up you muscles- providing Blood Glucose with more places to go.

DP is real and can be unpredictable/confusing for up to years even in Type 2's who otherwise have good BG control.

Reactions: jjraak

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, I always thought going for a half hour walk, before eating anything would result in a lower initial BG level, as you are using up glycogen stores with no food to fuel the exercise. I am only talking about a moderate pace walk though. Will have to test and see when I am back to full health.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, I always thought going for a half hour walk, before eating anything would result in a lower initial BG level, as you are using up glycogen stores with no food to fuel the exercise. I am only talking about a moderate pace walk though. Will have to test and see when I am back to full health.

not remotely an expert on this topic, but I think it’s more that the liver is releases more of the glycogen store than is strictly needed, raising BG.

all I know is that exercise on an empty stomach gives me a bump up, very vigorously exercise is a larger bump, but exercise after eating flat-lines me.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok, that makes sense, so after eating one has the glucose floating around, usually it would get processed like normal, but exercise uses it up, and causes a lower rise post meal. That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: jjraak