Type 1 Blood sugar spiking after breakfast

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am struggling to find food for breakfast that doesn't make my blood sugars spike. I would be grateful for any suggestions of tried and successful foods. Thank you all.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or timing your bolus correctly will help - pre-bolusing; injecting your quick acting ahead of time so the insulin is working when your body absorbs the carbs.

Reactions: karen8967

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or timing your bolus correctly will help - pre-bolusing; injecting your quick acting ahead of time so the insulin is working when your body absorbs the carbs.

Hi Slip I normally inject Bolus approx 10 minutes before eating as this is what the DAFNE course works on. Not sure whether 10 minutes is enough.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am struggling to find food for breakfast that doesn't make my blood sugars spike. I would be grateful for any suggestions of tried and successful foods. Thank you all.

Hi- get flaxseed and sunflower seeds from holland and Barrett - grind them and keep separate. Every morning 3 table spoon flaxseed and 2 table spoons sunflower with milk and keep sugars low.

Reactions: Angel1954

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get no spike with this indeed 4 units usually lowers me a bit in two hours

30g porridge oats
15g chia seeds
good handful of flaked almonds
good handful of frozen berries
good big dollop of peanut butter
some cinnamon
and as much unsweetened almond milk as you want to get the required consistency.

2:30 in the microwave.

Reactions: Angel1954

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Angel, I'm assuming you mean food for which you don't necessarily have to take insulin for? Just about all food spikes me to some extent even if only a small one (same for all humans I think). Have you thought about non traditional breakfast foods, ie meat, low carb soup, cheese, pork chop, or ANYTHING that is under or around 10 carbs or so. I'm not being facetious, who says brekkie has to be cereal et al? x

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Angel, I'm assuming you mean food for which you don't necessarily have to take insulin for? Just about all food spikes me to some extent even if only a small one (same for all humans I think). Have you thought about non traditional breakfast foods, ie meat, low carb soup, cheese, pork chop, or ANYTHING that is under or around 10 carbs or so. I'm not being facetious, who says brekkie has to be cereal et al? x

Hi there thank you, I count carbs and follow the DAFNE guidelines. I always have some carb with each meal and inject insulin for those carbs. I love fruit and low fat/no added sugar Greek yoghurt which I love most days but have now seen the large spike it gives me and I am wondering if I should try something with lower carbs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there thank you, I count carbs and follow the DAFNE guidelines. I always have some carb with each meal and inject insulin for those carbs. I love fruit and low fat/no added sugar Greek yoghurt which I love most days but have now seen the large spike it gives me and I am wondering if I should try something with lower carbs.

Well there's nothing to say you HAVE to have carbs in a meal, you just need to know how much insulin (if any) you require for that meal. I quite often eat one meal a day so only have one injection of bolus insulin for that day. If you are getting a large spike after around 2 hours then that suggests you didn't take enough insulin for that meal (most likely the fruit). If you decide you want to eat a lower carb meal then that's fine too but remember you will also (probably) require less insulin for it, if any. It's all about testing of course but I find generally that anything under around 10 carbs doesn't cause a large spike. What do you mean by large by the way and at what times following your meals do you test? x

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I am extremely insulin resistant in the mornings and sometimes have to pre bolus an hour before breakfast! My breakfast is usually a protein bar and a Kvarg yoghurt which in total is about 20g carbs.

even then I sometimes still get a large spike!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Slip I normally inject Bolus approx 10 minutes before eating as this is what the DAFNE course works on. Not sure whether 10 minutes is enough.

Novorapid as an example takes 10 to 20 minutes to get going out of the box, so the 10 minutes you are currently using can be increased and it can go by 20 minutes until you see the spike drop down to acceptable levels....

trial and error with testing......

most of us are naturally more resistant to insulin in the mornings also so make sure your ratio is as finely tuned as possible too....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

You say you are bolusing 10 mins before eating breakfast. Try 20 or even 30 mins before. Obviously try 20 before 30. Keep a record of when you inject and when you do your bloods and what they are!
OR as others have said, dont eat carbs for breakfast

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2, I'm quite fond of a German style breakfast - cold meats and cheese, eggs in any form, smoked salmon, or a cooked breakfast, if I'm having greek yoghurt it will be the full fat version with maybe some ground flax/hemp in, but I must admit I don't eat an early breakfast very often, weekdays breakfast is "lunch" at about 1:30, but I don't know how fasting works for T1's