Insulin users. Your reactions.

the_exile

Ahh the old Armani insulin debate again, the BBC regurgitate this story every year and just change the figures, I see they've got some quotes from people this time though, strange as they always struggle to get doctors and healthcare professionals to comment on utter rubbish like this.

goji

the_exile said:
I see they've got some quotes from people this time though, strange as they always struggle to get doctors and healthcare professionals to comment on utter rubbish like this.

It seems GPs are being encouraged to swap us over to save money.....

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsarticle ... -cut-costs

There's no way I want to change. I'm quite happy with the analogues. I used to be on human mixtard and it really didn't suit me.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It's strange i have had to work hard the last 4 months to get agreement to switch me from analog to human

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the stuff I read about this says something along the lines of 'analogue insulins are only slightly better than other ones'.

So they are arguing that analogue insulins are better, so surely they should support them being widely prescribed?

AMBrennan

Well, no. Unfortunately the NHS has a finite budget; and whilst newer analogues may greatly improve quality of life (e.g. I can't imagine eating at a restaurant if I had to inject an hour before the meal) they - as I understand it - only marginally improve clinical prognosis.

wsmum

Other research has shown that even a marginal improvement to H1A1C makes a big difference to clinical prognosis ... Surely any cost analysis should be looking at long term as well as short term savings - fewer complications down the line will be worth millions. To say nothing of improvements to quality of life! I have complained to the BBC about the lack of balance in their reporting of this research. I do understand that budgets are limited, and I also agree that older insulins may be fine for some diabetics, but the expression 'designer insulins' suggests that some kinds of insulin are a 'luxury item' rather than the best tool around for leading as long and healthy a life as possible. Humph

AMBrennan

But that's the question - are the newer analogues really the best tool? Based on the article I got the impression that the older insulins can be just as effective if used correctly¥
At the end of the day I expect the NHS to provide me with medication to lead a long and healthy life but not necessarily a completely normal one (which is the effect I, a type 1 noob, imagine this change would have - assuming ¥ is true)

This reminds me of the recent story on the cost of a loaf of gluten-free bread to the NHS (£30ish) - where not having any bread would be just as effective.

wsmum

Blimey - they'd be better off issuing tesco vouchers for the gluten free bread ...
My bate with this research is that the economics of it are much more complex than implied. Leaving aside the issue of whether 'only modest improvements' (quoting the research) are worth all that extra money, and even leaving aside the cost of long term complications, the freedom and flexibility offered by newer insulins must help people to contribute more effectively to society ... I was chatting to a nurse friend of mine about this yesterday, and she said maybe doctors should be trying the cheaper insulins first before moving on to the analogues. But then thinking of my son, who is enjoying his new life at music school, practising an hour before breakfast, fitting in meals with rehearsals, eating whatever is on the menu (which he has no say over) I can't imagine that it would work. I think most people have lives that need a flexible approach, and an insulin regime that helps them to do their jobs well, achieve their full potential and (dare I say it) enjoy themselves is surely worth the extra investment?

wsmum

I have just read the Pulse article, and notice that there is a distinction being made between type 1s and 2s, which lets my son off the hook. I would be interested to know what type 2s think about this. Do the older insulins give you what you need I wonder?

ClaireG 06

I'm a type 2 on a mixed insulin ( Humulin M3) and am trying as hard as i can to get my DN and Dr to let me change to MDI. I find the mixed insulin so inflexible. I can never have a lay in for example and eating out is really difficult as i have to eat at set times.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Well, from my point of view, I've paid a LOT into NHS over the years and taken nothing out until I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. I have been messed about and misdiagnosed by incompetent nurses and feel that I'm now entitled to take out what I need. I could not continue my job if I were tied to set meal times - it's hard enough to find time for diabetes in my job now! If I have t give my job up, the NHS (as well as me) will suffer. Let's stop feeling guilty (none of us asked to be diabetic and we'd willingly swap with the BBC reporters - or anyone else who thinks we're not worth it!!!). Come on guys - we're worth it!!! 'From each according to his ability, to each according to is need'.

Smidge

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are non-mixed 'human' insulins available, in insulin pens, that would work with eg lie ins, going to bed early/late, non-fixed meal times, eating different things at different times?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humalin I is a long acting human insulin, approx half the cost of Levemir or Lantus. I can't understand why it isn't prescribed more.

Unbeliever

When my diabetic nurse was trying to persuade me to start insulin she told me that there was no downside and users never had any problems. They all started injecting and lived happily ever after.

Some do perhaps ,. It must be very worrying for those who have finally sorted things out for themselves to be changed onto another insulin. Hope too many are not adversely affected.