What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Winnie-the-Pooh

Reading about unidentifiable freezer lumps :

Confession : I have not cleaned my freezer for 2.5 yrs . And 2.5 yrs a go it was only cleaned after 3 yrs . So I might clean it up in 6 months and find some unidentifiable freezer lumps. Stay tune till then .
Trivia :
15 yrs ago , I lost my my Disney slippers . They were found later in freezer . No one ever found out how it got there But my theory is that I wanted to throw it in washing basket next to washing machine .

Reactions: DJC3

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 30/01/2020
FBG 4.4
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 70g blueberries, 170 chobani fat free yoghurt, 11g PB
1 hour: 6.8, 2 hour 5.2. So it seems adding more fat to a meal reduces the 1 hour peak rise, but for me the two hour rise for my breakfast seems to be about the same and I come back down to pretty much the same level.

Lunch: 225g zucchini, 41g raw onion, 87g sauerkraut, 50g full fat jarlsberg, 109 tomato, vegemite, 2 white corn tortilla.
Before 4.1, 1 hour 7.2, 2 hour 5.2. That 1 hour peak was unexpected and I am putting it down to the vegemite which has yeast extract, and malt barley extract, the white corn tortillas have never spiked me so high in any form of lunch before. So disappointingly no vegemite for me.

Dinner: 142g roast chicken, 200g boiled cauliflower.

34 degree day here today, had both painters and electricians at the unit from 7.30 in the morning. Haven't heard from my GP, so the ultrsound from yesterday can't have picked up anything to super serious or else they would have called.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
29-01-2020
Breakfast 2xCWC, nut granola, 2egg omelette with cheese.
Lunch, one slice pain kapnor toast with avocado and marmite CWC.
Tea with a splash of milk in the afternoon.
Dinner. Mince cooked with a lot of grated celariac and fewer chopped onions. Herbs etc added for flavour. Handful of frozen peas thrown in for colour. Two small pieces of potato, carrots, cauliflower, and savoy cabbage. Managed to resist finishing it up. One glass white wine.
Bedtime lemon tea.
Day was again full of activity, but jobslist still uncompleted at 10pm.
One day..... perhaps tomorrow.

Disclaimer as this was posted on 30th and am still catching up on yesterday's jobs at 11.30am seems tomorrow is 31st.

Good news though. The shoulder is very slowly gaining more flexibility. And it hurts only infrequently now. After about four years that's a significant improvement.

Last edited:

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everyone, for your comments on yesterday's appointment with the DN. Thank you for your congratulations and I am just ignoring her criticism - I do think its strange that she feels that she needs to be so harsh. Luckily I am fairly secure in my knowledge of low carbing (I might go off piste occasionally but I do at least know why and how) but if anyone was just starting out I would imagine they would feel very discouraged.

@Brunneria - lovely pictures of your dogs - the little one looks like a bit of a character :) Many years ago I used to have a dog that tore up anything and ate the post - which was a real issue when I was selling on eBay (in the very early days) and didn't have a PayPal account - people just used to send cheques or cash - and George would happily eat all of it until we got an outdoor mail box. He lived to 14 so it didn't do him any harm.

So, today Wednesday 29-01-20

Last nights bed time test: 5.4
This morning's FBG: 6.4
Breakfast: Alpro coconut flavour soya yoghurt, 80g mixed berries and 20g mixed nuts and seeds - I am really enjoying this breakfast
2 hours later: 6.3

Lunch: Green gloop

Dinner: Fritatta - 3 eggs, 20g cheese, 30g kale, 30g red onion - served with a side of dressed rocket (yes, this is from the Sirtfood diet book which arrived this morning

Supper: Unsweetened soya milk hot chocolate (turns out that chocolate / cocoa powder is a sirt food)

Drinks: Black decaff coffee and water and, of course, that hot chocolate.
Understand where you are coming from re D.N., mine is similar, dreadful woman IMOA, my HBA1C down from 66 to 44 oer time, she has no comment on this but went on and on about statins as my cholestrol 5.8, had no clue about lipid profiles/ratios, we ended on bad terms with her telling me that she was on a statin, my response "Good for you." My D.N. is a bossy woman. She had never heard of CAC test either.

Edited by moderator to remove inappropriate comment

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thurs 30-01-20

Interesting day yesterday. About 4.30 one of my dogs behaved a bit strangely and wouldn't leave me alone - kept trying to stare straight in to my eyes and when I told him 'no' he started patting me instead. He has got a bit of a history of being a 'nanny dog' so I checked my BG and it was down to 3.2. I felt fine but obviously Archie knew something was wrong - half a dozen cherry tomatoes later and he went back to being his usual hearth rug persona. He's the one on the left.
IMG_20191025_164451.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So, today's tests and menu are

Last night's bed time test: 5.3
Today's FBG: 6.4 (grrrrrrrr)
Breakfast: Usual Alpro soya coconut flavour yoghurt, 80g mixed berries, 20g mixed nuts and seeds
2 hours later: 6.4

Lunch: Not hungry so won't bother.

Dinner: Something called Sirt Shakshuka - which is a mixture of tomatoes, onion, kale and chilli cooked together until a thick mixture then make dips in the mixture and crack eggs in to the dips - then put a lid on and carry on cooking until eggs are done. Sounds easy enough.

Evening drink: Cocoa made with unsweetened soya milk and Asda's low carb cocoa powder.

Usual drinks

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook they are such lovely dogs and how clever of Archie to alert you about your low bg.
Today I am eating:
Breakfast was usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch just had mug of my Brocolli & Leek soup and a slice LL toast with peanut butter.
Supper will h/m chicken curry from the freezer with green rice.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your help, @Tipetoo , @Goonergal, and especially @ziggy_w for your expressed faith in my cooking! I love being creative in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean I always love the results :bag:
As far as I understand it doesn't really matter what I do with it as long as I do it long and on low heat. Do I first sear it on high heat or not? I'm guessing I need to add fluid (water, wine, broth, beer, whatever) when leaving it for hours in the oven or on my cooker thing, is that right? I don't think I've ever made slow cooked meat of any kind.

Whatever happens with my tail, I'll post a picture with it next week, and a recipe if it tasted good :)

As Quinn says - keep cooking until it seems tender but don't stop unless it is literally falling off the bone, or it won't be as tender as you think. It's a lovely cut of meat and, once braised (oven, stove to, pressure or slow cooker) can be used in all sorts of dishes - goulash, spicy, with lots of vegetables in a stew or (what my grandmother used to do) in a lovely meat pie. The best thing about oxtail is the gravy - whatever other veg, spices or stock (wine?) you put in the gravy should be rich and unctuous. Without that, the oxtail isn't really anything. The bones are essential to this and (if bones appeal to you) can be sucked of their jelly-like juice (as kids we loved getting the bones).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Confession : I have not cleaned my freezer for 2.5 yrs . And 2.5 yrs a go it was only cleaned after 3 yrs . So I might clean it up in 6 months and find some unidentifiable freezer lumps. Stay tune till then .
Trivia :
15 yrs ago , I lost my my Disney slippers . They were found later in freezer . No one ever found out how it got there But my theory is that I wanted to throw it in washing basket next to washing machine .

Years ago my mother "lost" her housekeeping money - that was a very thin week. Some months later, she found it in the freezer section of the fridge, stuck to the ice. Don't remember that week being particularly lush though.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fell right off the wagon today. I don't even want to tell you about the carbs I ate this morning. Bad, bad, bad Ann!

The reason (not an excuse) was that I could only reach the small fridge because my feet are so bad today, so only had the carby things available. That, and tea bags and milk. So that's what I've had. I know there is a cauliflower in the big fridge out in the back porch and some peppers but not much else other than some cheese. Somehow I will make the effort and get out there to collect them so this evening it will be roasted cauliflower and a cheese/cream sauce. Should be shopping day tomorrow - if I can walk as far as the car. Neil will deal with mobility for the rest of the trip. Otherwise he'll have to do some shopping for me.

FBG was 7.5, BG an hour ago was 12.5! That's despite insulin. But I knew that would happen.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook they are such lovely dogs and how clever of Archie to alert you about your low bg.
Today I am eating:
Breakfast was usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch just had mug of my Brocolli & Leek soup and a slice LL toast with peanut butter.
Supper will h/m chicken curry from the freezer with green rice.

Don't let the one on the right (Jack) fool you with his innocent good looks.....

Yes, Archie has done this sort of thing several times. A good friend was prompted to go to the doctor after he spent an afternoon trying to get on her lap to sniff her chest - surprisingly the doctor took it seriously and she was quickly diagnosed with early stage breast cancer - so we don't ignore him when he gets a bit up close and personal.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Trivia :

Sorry you’re having a rotten day, and you’re feeling fed up. It’s no consolation I know but your story about the slippers in the freezer made me laugh a lot. I can just imagine doing something like that. Did you wear them again when they thawed out?

Winnie-the-Pooh

Sorry you’re having a rotten day, and you’re feeling fed up. It’s no consolation I know but your story about the slippers in the freezer made me laugh a lot. I can just imagine doing something like that. Did you wear them again when they thawed out?

Thanks ! Yes hopefully things get better at work.

Yes I put the slippers in sun ️ They were well preserved , fresh

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook Archie is not only fabulous to look at, he’s an absolute star! I’ve met Medical Alert dogs before who have been specifically trained to pick up particular diseases and low bg but he’s done it all by himself. What a legend. What breed is he?

@Annb hope you manage ok today with your bad feet. Could you perhaps keep some nuts in a more accessible cupboard in case of times like these?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Iceland hasnt had cauli rice for a couple of months. Anyone else found the same? Tesco has similar frozen packs of 4 on their website but thats not in my local Tesco either. I think Asda do them too but its a bit of a jaunt for me so will wait to see what you good people advise. TIA.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook Archie is not only fabulous to look at, he’s an absolute star! I’ve met Medical Alert dogs before who have been specifically trained to pick up particular diseases and low bg but he’s done it all by himself. What a legend. What breed is he?

@Annb hope you manage ok today with your bad feet. Could you perhaps keep some nuts in a more accessible cupboard in case of times like these?

He's always been like it since we got him as a puppy. It seems to be intuitive in him and not just for one ailment but anything he can sense thats not quite right. He's a Labradoodle - his Mum was a chocolate Labrador and his Dad was a white Standard Poodle. He's big - just a fraction smaller than an Irish Wolf Hound which most people think he is - and he's very sweet natured (thank goodness).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My Iceland hasnt had cauli rice for a couple of months. Anyone else found the same? Tesco has similar frozen packs of 4 on their website but thats not in my local Tesco either. I think Asda do them too but its a bit of a jaunt for me so will wait to see what you good people advise. TIA.

Yes, Asda does the frozen 4-packs of frozen caulI rice and its in stock here in Yorkshire. I've got some being delivered tomorrow. You could try phoning the store before making a special trip for it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Asda does the frozen 4-packs of frozen caulI rice and its in stock here in Yorkshire. I've got some being delivered tomorrow. You could try phoning the store before making a special trip for it.
Thanks @Chook. I will be near a very big Tesco on Saturday though with passengers so may or may not be able to drop in. Otherwise I will phone Asda store next week.