Type 2 Chocolate

M

Member496333

The lowest carb chocolate (without sweeteners) I'm aware of is Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% Cocoa. It's ~8% net carbs.

Reactions: mike@work

Honeyend

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Why without sweeteners?

My fave milk chocolate, (Aussie brand 'Well Naturally' - Coconut Delight my go-to treat) - is sweetened with erythritol and stevia, and is 1.3g for three wee pieces (14.5g of carbs per 100g).

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why without sweeteners?

My fave milk chocolate, (Aussie brand 'Well Naturally' - Coconut Delight my go-to treat) - is sweetened with erythritol and stevia, and is 1.3g for three wee pieces (14.5g of carbs per 100g).

My favourite- same brand but the honeycomb. Really nice and doesn't spike. I have up to 6 pieces for less than 3 grams of carbs and so so nice.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You can get Lindt 90%. Has 14g in 100g bar

M

Member496333

Why without sweeteners?

Hi. If you were were referring to my post, then I wasn't suggesting anyone had to avoid sweeteners. I do but that wasn't my point. I just meant that there are possibly chocolates with lower carbohydrate than Montezuma that use sweeteners.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lindt 90% is great if you like dark chocolate

I see someone has mentioned Aldi's, Moser Roth 85% comes in 5 separately wrapped 25g bars and come in at 4.5g carbs per bar, I don't know if its cause I'm used to 90% and always been a dark chocolate lover but I don't find it bitter like someone has mentioned and actually quite sweet to my palette
xx

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you buy this one in the UK?

682873_exc_99_net_201505_1.png

PER 100g:
  • Energy 2337 kJ / 567 kcal
  • Fat 49 g
  • of which unsaturated fat 30 g
  • Carbs 8 g
  • of which sugars 2 g
  • Protein 13,2 g
  • Salt 0,06 g
Freely translated nutrition table, so there could be some question marks, that I didn't observe just like that...

Strong taste, but low carb :)

Edited to add: ...and yes, at 99% it also suits keto, even if there is a hint of demerara-sugar in it...

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you buy this one in the UK?

682873_exc_99_net_201505_1.png

PER 100g:
  • Energy 2337 kJ / 567 kcal
  • Fat 49 g
  • of which unsaturated fat 30 g
  • Carbs 8 g
  • of which sugars 2 g
  • Protein 13,2 g
  • Salt 0,06 g
Freely translated nutrition table, so there could be some question marks, that I didn't observe just like that...

Strong taste, but low carb :)

Yes

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lindt 90% is great if you like dark chocolate

I see someone has mentioned Aldi's, Moser Roth 85% comes in 5 separately wrapped 25g bars and come in at 4.5g carbs per bar, I don't know if its cause I'm used to 90% and always been a dark chocolate lover but I don't find it bitter like someone has mentioned and actually quite sweet to my palette
xx
That's interesting that you don't find Aldi 85% bitter. I actually find it too sweet now and have moved on to Montezuma 100%.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is their any low carb chocolate that diabetics
Can eat ??
Extra dark anything. I like Lindt (85% and 99%. if you find that too bitter, have some butter, cream or walnut with it). And some chocolatiers carry hand made bonbons sweetened with sorbitol or maltitol, but those'll cost you an arm and a leg. (Which I gladly pay for them, if they're good.)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting that you don't find Aldi 85% bitter. I actually find it too sweet now and have moved on to Montezuma 100%.
I've been eating dark chocolate since I was a kid so others may find it bitter but to me it's sweet, at times I think the Lindt 90% seems on the sweet side (heat affects the taste and if a square has been slightly heated due to sitting on top of my keyboard then it does appear sweeter) I haven't got anywhere that sells 100% chocolate so I've never tried it xx

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Amusing as a child I absolutely hated dark chocolate. Loved the "trad" stuff, drifted back to the dark side, and now don't bother with either. Weird

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used to prefer milk chocolate so found switching to dark (real dark not the cheap stuff at less than 65% plus extra sugar) difficult so I tried melting some 85% Lindt and stirring in a little stevia and some double cream. Then adding peppermint or orange oil.
Then slowly moved to eating 85% without additions - Lindt or Moser (from Aldi) - but I never managed the 100% on its own, although I had it in for cooking!

Now I'm in remission and eat a little more carbs I buy some of the 'less sweet' or 'supermilk' chocs from Hotel Chocolat - the ones that are around 30g carbs per 100g so a couple of pieces are fine.