Cauliflower Rice

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started a low carb diet over 4 years ago I heard about cauliflower rice as a low carb substitute so I tried it. The version I tried was vacuum packed and was very unpleasant, so I made my own, even using a food processor it was very uneven and generated lots of mess. Since then I have just been roasting the florets which works well and is very suitable for a curry accompaniment. However, recently a friend suggested trying frozen cauliflower rice which comes in a bag containing 4 sachets, each of which is a 125g portion with 3.1g carbs. Mine came from Tesco, I am told the Morrison's version is similar. This is very good and also very convenient, it only takes 3 minutes to microwave from frozen. Strangely it seems to be only stalk, no sign of the "flowers" but is cut into perfect 2mm cubes unlike my homemade uneven version. Maybe everyone else has already tried it, but if not, it is well worth a go.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Strangely it seems to be only stalk, no sign of the "flowers"
Makes sense. They sell other bags with the frozen flowers, so until cauliflower rice became a 'thing' the stalks would've been waste. Now they can make a profit with the former waste, a very good thing I think :)

I simply use one of those and stir fry for a minute or three. It makes pretty even particles and I grate what I need and save the rest of the cauliflower for later use.
upload_2020-1-31_19-38-13.jpeg

Reactions: jjraak and carty

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi do a vacuum sealed tub of ready shredded cauliflower rice that works well. I use it a lot.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started a low carb diet over 4 years ago I heard about cauliflower rice as a low carb substitute so I tried it. The version I tried was vacuum packed and was very unpleasant, so I made my own, even using a food processor it was very uneven and generated lots of mess. Since then I have just been roasting the florets which works well and is very suitable for a curry accompaniment. However, recently a friend suggested trying frozen cauliflower rice which comes in a bag containing 4 sachets, each of which is a 125g portion with 3.1g carbs. Mine came from Tesco, I am told the Morrison's version is similar. This is very good and also very convenient, it only takes 3 minutes to microwave from frozen. Strangely it seems to be only stalk, no sign of the "flowers" but is cut into perfect 2mm cubes unlike my homemade uneven version. Maybe everyone else has already tried it, but if not, it is well worth a go.
I use it all the time now - it’s so convenient and much nicer than those icky vacuum packs, I always thought they smelt and tasted of vinegar mixed with plastic

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For me, the secret when preparing cauli rice, is to do the food processor chopping in modest batches. I used to use a grater attachment, but chipping seems better, in my opinion.

I just get out a couple of cookie sheets, get chopping. When done, tip the contents of thee FP bowl into a container for use fresh, or onto the cookie sheets for open freezing. The open freezing is very quick. then i transfer to poly bags, or contaiers froa another time.

I love cauli of all sorts, so have always eaten all but the very woody parts of the stalks, but your comment makes me think I could maybe get best of both worlds by approaching things a little differently.

I can't honestly say I have ever bought frozen cauli rice, although I have bought fresh, pre-prepared the odd time when time has been at a premium.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I love the frozen too. Just got 8 bags for £3 from Tesco. So convenient. And can be spiced up depending on what you are putting it with. I'm all for an easy life. Plus they only freeze the best.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the frozen too. Just got 8 bags for £3 from Tesco. So convenient. And can be spiced up depending on what you are putting it with. I'm all for an easy life. Plus they only freeze the best.
Not looking to be controversial here, but what makes you feel they freeze the best? It strikes me the frozen veg, wether florets, raced or whatever is likely the "wonky" veg or othose with the odd floret that made it unpalatable for fresh sale.

If you know otherwise I'd be happy to be reassured.

Reactions: Debandez

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't honestly say I have ever bought frozen cauli rice, although I have bought fresh, pre-prepared the odd time when time has been at a premium.
Exactly. We don’t all have oodles of time on our hands, so ready made packs are the next best thing for some of us.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly. We don’t all have oodles of time on our hands, so ready made packs are the next best thing for some of us.

I'm not exactly twiddling my thumbs myself, but I can get organised and when doing a job, particularly using a gadget requiring cleaning, I'll will do more than required and store it in batches, meaning my time is well spent, and the clearing up is minimal.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone having frozen cauli rice is lazy, slovenly or any other sort of insult or denigrating remark. I just prefer not to pay someone else to run a food processor on my behalf.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it all the time now - it’s so convenient and much nicer than those icky vacuum packs, I always thought they smelt and tasted of vinegar mixed with plastic
The Aldi brand seems to smell of cauliflower. I think if it tasted weird or smelled strange I wouldn’t consume it.

I generally fry it in butter with onion, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and some chopped nuts while cooking the conventional rice for the rest of the family.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did try a version of the frozen stuff from Aldi, quite a few months back. It did the job.

Reactions: Evie-D

Gabriella

For me, the secret when preparing cauli rice, is to do the food processor chopping in modest batches. I used to use a grater attachment, but chipping seems better, in my opinion.

I just get out a couple of cookie sheets, get chopping. When done, tip the contents of thee FP bowl into a container for use fresh, or onto the cookie sheets for open freezing. The open freezing is very quick. then i transfer to poly bags, or contaiers froa another time.

I love cauli of all sorts, so have always eaten all but the very woody parts of the stalks, but your comment makes me think I could maybe get best of both worlds by approaching things a little differently.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes you can buy it in Iceland asda morrisons tesco e.t.c. I eat this stuff all the time it's nice with diced chicken and I buy those maggi cook in bags they do a variety off flavours absolutely lovely and there good for filling you up

Reactions: Evie-D

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not looking to be controversial here, but what makes you feel they freeze the best? It strikes me the frozen veg, wether florets, raced or whatever is likely the "wonky" veg or othose with the odd floret that made it unpalatable for fresh sale.

Actually it's just an expression my mum used. It stuck. I never delved any further to be honest.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually it's just an expression my mum used. It stuck. I never delved any further to be honest.

Im not saying there's anything wrong with frozen veg, but I just can't imagine the buyers selecting the absolute prime fruit/veg to then cut up and process through freezing, to sell at a tight price point, then leave the less prime stuff to be chosen in the supermarkets.

It's a bit like Fair Trade. You, farmers are given assured prices, but they aren't premium prices, so the farmers end up selling their best produce on the open markets, for premium rates and use the fair trade process to ensure they'd sell their crops.

This was told to me by a pineapple farmer in Antigua. Home of the Antiguan Black (pineapple).

Anyway, that's all getting a bit political, so I'll stop.

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im not saying there's anything wrong with frozen veg, but I just can't imagine the buyers selecting the absolute prime fruit/veg to then cut up and process through freezing, to sell at a tight price point, then leave the less prime stuff to be chosen in the supermarkets.

It's a bit like Fair Trade. You, farmers are given assured prices, but they aren't premium prices, so the farmers end up selling their best produce on the open markets, for premium rates and use the fair trade process to ensure they'd sell their crops.

This was told to me by a pineapple farmer in Antigua. Home of the Antiguan Black (pineapple).

Anyway, that's all getting a bit political, so I'll stop.

I've had a quick Google to see what 'frozen vegetables qualuty' came up with because now I'm.curious.

'Frozen vegetables are a good alternative and may be superior to the off-season fresh vegetables sold in supermarkets. In some cases, frozen vegetables may be more nutritious than fresh ones that have been shipped over long distances. ... This applies to fruit as well as vegetables'

I'm not writing in bold, just copied and pasted and now the bold has a mild of it's own Haha.

I think this was what my mum was meaning.