Basal and bolus balance on a low carb diet

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
Since a few weeks I have the Freestyle Libre 1 sensor and notice more highs after meals than I was aware of with blood glucose testing. I am searching now to find the best balance in my insulin dosing to avoid that without getting too much hypo's. I have been told and have read many times that a basal and bolus balance of approx. 50/50 gives the best results. With, during the years, changing my diet bit by bit into a low carb diet (in my case approx. 80-100g of carbs a day) I am wondering if the 50/50 indication would still be applicable. Does anyone know what is the best basal/bolus balance when low carbing?
Any ideas, links, experiences are very welcome. Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
Since a few weeks I have the Freestyle Libre 1 sensor and notice more highs after meals than I was aware of with blood glucose testing. I am searching now to find the best balance in my insulin dosing to avoid that without getting too much hypo's. I have been told and have read many times that a basal and bolus balance of approx. 50/50 gives the best results. With, during the years, changing my diet bit by bit into a low carb diet (in my case approx. 80-100g of carbs a day) I am wondering if the 50/50 indication would still be applicable. Does anyone know what is the best basal/bolus balance when low carbing?
Any ideas, links, experiences are very welcome. Thanks!

You'll have to test to see what suits you best, in my opinion the idea of a static ratio between bolus and basal is rubbish anyways cos it'd mean you'd be changing your basal everyday you had a different amount of carbs.
You will need to do some basal testing to find out how much you need, and the bolus is dependent on the carbs you have.

I know when I was younger one of the DN's at my local hospital insisted that I should be on a 50/50 ratio for basal/bolus, I tried it sorta half way between what I was on and the 50/50 for a few days and mostly what happened was that I ended up waking up in a hypo every morning (and being late to work), so that idea got ditched and I want back too what I was on (about 30% basal as it happened) - note I was not and still am not low carbing.

Reactions: Rianne

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with you @Rokaab, the basal/bolus ratio is totally individualistic and it is what ever YOU need it to be that works for you.

and notice more highs after meals than I was aware of with blood glucose testing

This is what most people find, even if they think they have fairly good control the Libre is a real eye opener! This just maybe down to timing of the bolus (pre-bolusing).

Reactions: Rianne

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll have to test to see what suits you best, in my opinion the idea of a static ratio between bolus and basal is rubbish anyways cos it'd mean you'd be changing your basal everyday you had a different amount of carbs.
You will need to do some basal testing to find out how much you need, and the bolus is dependent on the carbs you have.

I know when I was younger one of the DN's at my local hospital insisted that I should be on a 50/50 ratio for basal/bolus, I tried it sorta half way between what I was on and the 50/50 for a few days and mostly what happened was that I ended up waking up in a hypo every morning (and being late to work), so that idea got ditched and I want back too what I was on (about 30% basal as it happened) - note I was not and still am not low carbing.

Thanks, Rokaab. Sure you are right, it is pretty personal. But I do think there are some general outcomes that suit best for high(er) and others for low(er) carbers. It would give me a better start with testing my basals. Good to read that you follow your own path despite the TOO general advice of 50/50 :).

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm with you @Rokaab, the basal/bolus ratio is totally individualistic and it is what ever YOU need it to be that works for you.

This is what most people find, even if they think they have fairly good control the Libre is a real eye opener! This just maybe down to timing of the bolus (pre-bolusing).

Thanks, slip. I am indeed trying prebolusing much more now. I used to bolus about 15 minutes ahead, but it seems that sometimes 1 full hour is best. Difficult though when being physically active in that particular hour. Not experienced enough yet to not feel fear of getting a hypo. Of course I have dextro with me all the time, but hate to eat sugars before meals. It'll get more clear in time.... ;-)

Reactions: slip